PDA

View Full Version : Bad reaction to eyebrow waxing...help please!!!

Katia
12-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I had my eyebrows waxed for the first time last week. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I put some neosporin on it a couple of times, as suggested, but now the skin around one of my eyebrows is red, puffy and itchy. HELP!!! A quick Google search just got me feeling more alarmed, so I wonder if anyone has any BTDT happy-ending type tips for me. I just put some hydrocortisone cream on it, hoping that would help. Anything else I should do, or do I really need to see a doctor? How embarrassing....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Katia
DS 2003

jayali
12-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I wax everything and sometimes I get a reaction. Usually if at a certain time in my cycle. I find that if I put some ice and witch hazel on the red, bumpy area the swelling goes down and the itching stops pretty quickly. Maybe it will help you. If not then I would definitely call the doctor by the end of the day.

Good luck

jbowman
12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
This happened to me a week before my wedding! I had been having my eyebrows waxed for more than 10 years and had never had a reaction...until the one time when I did not need to have a reaction, LOL!

I ended up going to the ER (and also a dermatologist) b/c it became extremely painful. In my case, I believe that the wax was too hot and burned the skin above my eyes (the reaction and puffiness was almost immediate). I remember that I was given a topical cream (like Neosporin--I think it was the generic--just contained the active ingredient of Neosporin, can't remember the name...the doctor suggested that it was less irritating). I put that on the skin around my eyebrows (and alternated that with another hydrocortisone-like cream) and was ordered to stay out of the sun as much as possible (did I mention that I was going to Belize for my honeymoon, LOL?!!). I also couldn't wear make-up until my wedding day...needless to say I looked AWESOME at my rehearsal dinner, LOL! Other than that, there was not much that anyone could do.

I ended up being fine and had no scarring. I haven't, however, had my eyebrows waxed again...and that was 5 1/2 years ago. Despite the pain, my eyebrows continue to look fabulous! ;)

HTH! Believe me, I feel your pain.

ETA: I would call the doctor, as PP suggested, if your condition doesn't improve by the end of the day.

buddyleebaby
12-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Once I convinced my dh to get his eyebrows cleaned up (back when we were dating). I went first w/no problem. Then he went and immediately got two puffy purple circles around both his eyes.
He was so mad at me! (I had assured him it was no big deal).
He looked like a racoon for three days. We just kept applying aloe and eventually it went away on its own.

Sillygirl
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Katia, Neosporin allergies are very common. Lots of times I've had patients come in with redness, itching, and they tell me "But at least I'm keeping it covered wtih Neosporin!" I have them stop that and the rash goes away. Also, OTC hydrocortisone is quite weak, but the skin around your eyes is so thin, and steroids can thin the skin further, so I would not recommend their continued use in that particular area. Try leaving off the topical agents, DON'T SCRATCH OR PICK, and see what happens. By all means consult a doctor if you are concerned, though - my advice shouldn't substitute for that.

VClute
12-12-2005, 02:47 PM
When I worked as a nurse, I had a couple of run-ins with Neosporin allergies. I can't remember what's in it... iodine or something? ANYway, yes - stop the Neosporin and I bet that will help.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

Katia
12-12-2005, 03:00 PM
NEOSPORIN ALLERGY!!! I bet that's it! Now that I think about it, I've had the same kinds of red, itchy bumps when I've put Neosporin on cuts and scrapes...and I always attributed it to the cut or scrape, not to a possible allergy. Aaaaargh.... Well, I feel lucky to have learned about this!

A big THANK YOU to everyone who replied. I did try the witch hazel and that seems to have helped a bit (if for no other reason than it washed off the Neosporin ;-)) and now I'm going to leave it alone for the rest of the day to see if it gets better.

Ah, the price we pay for vanity! :-)

Katia
DS 2003

Katia
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
OMG...after I had it done last week, I thought to myself, "Boy...this sure isn't something you'd want to do for the first time right before your wedding!" LOL...so sorry that happened to you, but I'm sure you were gorgeous anyway! :-)

mamato1
12-12-2005, 03:04 PM
I was going to also mention Neosporin allergies, so definitely quit with that. I have had good luck with aloe vera after I have waxed, so you might try that!
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

wimama
12-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree with the previous posters, stop using the Neosporin.

I see allergic reactions to Neosporin frequently. It is usually the Neomycin antibiotic that most people are allergic to. So in future, when you need a antibiotic ointment, try Polysporin or Bacitracin ointment instead. They don't have Neomycin in it.

I am allergic to Neosporin ointment and use Polysporin with no problems.