PDA

View Full Version : At what point should we stop using the crib?

Saartje
12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
When I went in to get Ishie up this morning, he was standing and holding on to the drop rail, and he swung one foot up and grabbed onto the rail with his toes. He hasn't climbed out yet, and I suspect he won't for a while yet (he's cautious about doing new things, and often won't for quite some time after he's capable of them), but he clearly *could* climb out of the crib if he wanted to.

Do we need to convert to a toddler bed at this point, or soon? And if so, does anyone have advice on making the transition to a bed he can get out of at bedtime?

JBaxter
12-15-2005, 12:56 PM
IMO soon. Shortly after my boys starting doing that they all fell out. Logan (14) and Connor(11) both were in toddle beds at 18-20mo because of climbing out. They did fine ( with a gate on the door) We just coverted Nathans crib to the toddler bed and it went great. For naps I made sure he was really tired for the first few days and kept everything in the bed the same. I put a gate on this door so he could escape the room the first day I went back about 3 times but he went to sleep he is great at night. He has been the easiest of my 3. I do the nanny 911 on the rare occassion he does get out. I just put him back kiss him and say night night and shut the door.

o_mom
12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
I would look into a crib tent. 18 months is awfully young for a toddler bed. We are going to get one this weekend for our 27 month old.

I know there will be people who chime in that their child moved at XX months and was fine. I don't disagree, but I would like to keep him contained until 3 years if possible, since I think it is safer. He also is very good about going to bed, but will sometimes talk to himself for 30 min or so before falling asleep. If he could get out of the bed at that point, I have a feeling it would turn into one more point of defiance/tantrum.

Momof3Labs
12-15-2005, 02:48 PM
DS finally climbed out of the crib at 23 months (he also had the ability long before that but didn't do it). We slapped a crib tent on his crib, and he stayed there happily for another 14 months. IMO 18 months is way too young to be in a toddler bed, and we're happy that we waited to make the transition (which was almost seamless for us).

Marisa6826
12-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Sophie has climbed out of her crib once, and only once. I think she scared herself and hasn't tried again. She's still loving her crib (and so are we!), and she was 3yo last week.

I have no intention of moving her out until she wants to.

-m

mudder17
12-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Kaya's had the crib tent since she was a newborn and I really think she feels like it's her safe place. She's 22 months and has never tried climbing out and I think that's partly due to the tent. The PnP is another story and we're still using it for traveling and I'm hoping she'll continue to stay put (she did last month).

Kaya can easily and safely get out of the bed that's in her room (it's a full sized bed) and she's close to being able to open her door so it would only be a matter of time, like your son. I'm definitely thinking of keeping Kaya in her crib until 3 as well, especially because she does like her crib (for sleeping, of course). She sleeps better there than anywhere else and is always happy to be home from vacation and get back to her crib.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

icunurse
12-15-2005, 04:18 PM
We're kinda in the same boat....I *know* DS can climb out, but he hasn't figured it out yet (thankfully). We're pretty much going by the "1 fall" rule, meaning that as soon as he figures it out and climbs out once (cushie rug under crib), he goes into a toddler bed. He isn't ready for one right now, he'll be walking all over the room for hours, so, hopefully, this won't happen soon. The crib tent sounds like a good idea....
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

Saartje
12-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Just to clarify -- the shape of our crib doesn't allow for use of a crib tent, unfortunately. :( I tried to put one on there when he was very young so I could be confident the cats couldn't get in there, but it wasn't possible.

C99
12-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Weissbluth advises that they stay in the crib until age 3. Our experience with Nate supports this. He only very recently (as in, this week!) discovered that he can climb out of his crib. We had converted his crib to a toddler bed last year when I was on bedrest (he was 24 months) and it was a disaster for his sleep. So when I was off of bedrest, we stuck the front rail back on and he's slept well ever since. I have only recently started asking him if he wants a big boy bed and will probably keep him in the crib until he asks for a regular bed.

muskiesusan
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Nick climbed out of his crib at 20 months and we moved him into a toddler bed at 21 months as he became obsessed with climbing out. We had no problem with the transition, we just put a gate at the door and made sure the room was free of dangers. The first night we just did our normal bedtime routine and he went to bed. I don't get him sometimes, this and potty training were the easiest things for him, everything else has been a struggle!!!

I would just wait and see right now. Ishie may never climb out or do it once and not like it. I wouldn't move him unless it become frequent (just line the floor with pillows in the interim!).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

crl
12-15-2005, 05:36 PM
We converted DS' crib to the toddler rail as soon as I caught him doing that. I had heard the falling on the head, serious injury stories and just couldn't deal with worrying about that. Plus I figured we were going to have to do it sooner or later. He was about 22 months though.

He actually stays in his bed just fine and it was never a problem or issue. He's 2 1/2 yrs now and still stays in bed both for naps and at night. As my mother says, why would he get up, you go to him every time he cries. (True, and she's not critizing me, just an observation.)

jk3
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
My DS climbed out for the first time this weekend. I think he had a bit of a fright and he has not attempted to do so again. I'd like to keep him in a crib for at least a few more months. We'll see!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

MayB
12-15-2005, 10:28 PM
My DS was 27 months when he first tried to climb out of the crib two days before Christmas. Unfortunately for us, that was the last time he tried to climb out of the crib because he fell and broke his arm. He spent his second Christmas in a cast. He was fine, but it was rather traumatic for all of us. He slept in our bed that night and the next day, we put up the bed rails we'd bought for his "Big Boy" bed, which had been set up for a month or two in the spare bedroom for when he was ready for it. He's slept there without incident ever since.

This is a long way of saying be careful about waiting until your child climbs out as a signal that the crib has to go. Sometimes, the first time is one time too many.

kijip
12-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Toby moved at 18 months or so. He was ready and his crib was dangerous has he was able to climb out. I crib tent was just not the right solution for us. I should clarify that he was still very much contained---his room was tiny (coverted huge walk-in closet) and I simply put a highy gate in the doorway to keep him in at night. Basically the room (which was totally safe) became his crib space. But his personality was very workable with this---he stayed in beds most mornings lounging etc. And when he did venture out he was content to play with his toys, thereby giving us extra sleep!