PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU want for the holidays?

kozachka
12-17-2005, 05:22 PM
DH asked me this question and I did not have a good answer. Mine was "vacation, time to myself". We are already planning on taking a few days off, just the two of us (our marriage needs it), in January while visiting MIL in FL, so it does not seem like a gift for ME. And I don't need another parfume or piece of jewelry, not that we can afford the latter.

Please share what you put on your wish-list, maybe I can get some ideas for DH. I need to be very specific or end up without a gift at all. No kidding, he once skipped over a year worth of holidays, including my birthday, since I am too difficult to shop for.

jamsmu
12-17-2005, 05:31 PM
My list:

-Blackberry

-Spa Gift Cert.

octmom
12-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I sympathize. I am not good at giving suggestions and as a result, DH ends up picking some strange gifts sometimes. ;) Almost everything I think I want is really something for DS or for our baby on the way. DH kept pushing me this year, so I finally thought about getting a nice diaper bag, since the geenric one I've been using for two years is looking tired and there are so many options out there. One of the possibilities I suggested to DH was a Lexie Barnes Superstar in poppy print. I spent a little time in the diaper bags forum to get ideas. Yes, it is baby-related, but babies don't care if the bag is nice or not. I do. ;) I also said that a pair of Danskos would be nice, so he may have given that idea to my mom. Not sure.

What I would really love is to have something done with our family room, which sorely needs a makeover, but DH insists I can't ask for that for my birthday, Christmas, etc. We just need to do it!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March
Just found out-- IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

kboyle
12-17-2005, 06:09 PM
That's how my DH is, if I don't specify, I don't receive. OR, i do receive, but end up getting weird stuff (I got a tool set once, and it wasn't secretly for him, he hasnt touched it since wrapping it up for me)

Spa Gift Cert.

Gift card for the mall- since i just got a job i actually need clothes that don't have the words "Hanes" on them :)

Blackberry, or some type of "organizer" palm pilot phone thingy ETA: just researched the Palm Z22 and I WANT THAT. It's too cute, and basic.

Uggs- they seem so nice and cozy.

mama2galpals
12-17-2005, 08:25 PM
since i find myself in the process of a divorce right now i may get myself two gifts. one is the magenta razr phone and the other is the aurora flannel sheets at garnet hill. they are feminine and pretty. :)

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth may hurt your feelings, but lies will break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

babystuffbuff
12-17-2005, 08:47 PM
On my list:

A really good sports watch to wear when I run

Subscription to "Psychology Today" magazine, which has always interested me

Borders/B&N gift card, since my library due dates far outpace my reading list!

Nice headphones for my iPod

And I do want some jewelry :)

Sarah

MarisaSF
12-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I would love an iPod!

I love fun, funky jewelry and would love for him to pick out pieces. A big, colorful watch would be fun as I hardly wear earrings and necklaces during the day anymore (toddler magnets!).

This year I asked for:
-hiking poles (dorky, right?!)
-a stainless steel water bottle
-matching "This is what a feminist looks like" t-shirts for me and Jazzy
-a few specific books
-new yoga clothes

pb&j
12-17-2005, 11:25 PM
A healthy baby!

But, materially speaking, I really want gift cards to my favorite clothing stores so that I can look good postpartum. I have been pg/pp for so long that I haven't been shopping for non-maternity clothes in over a year and a half. It may be shallow, but I wanna look cute!

I also want a rocking chair, which yes, is baby related, but something I will have for a long time after the baby is grown.

And Marisa, hiking poles aren't dorky - you will wonder why you didn't get them sooner. I got mine for Xmas a couple years ago, and they were one of the best gifts ever!!!

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

MarisaSF
12-17-2005, 11:31 PM
>And Marisa, hiking poles aren't dorky - you will wonder why
>you didn't get them sooner. I got mine for Xmas a couple
>years ago, and they were one of the best gifts ever!!!

Yes, but you are a dork. :P Just kidding! Hey, I want a healthy baby for you too!!! That's fer sher on my list!

I don't think they are dorky and I'm glad to have your support! DH thinks they are for old people. I want them EVERY summer and always wonder why I didn't ask for them for xmas. They are not something I would buy for myself. I'm very excited especially now that I know someone else who has them who isn't an old lady! DH thinks I could use my ski poles, but he does not understand the lure of the collapsible pole! :D

Anyway... Elena... surely you don't need/want hiking poles so sorry about the hijack. Maybe snowshoes?? :)

ribbit1019
12-18-2005, 10:09 AM
I've asked for photoshop, but my sister has generously offered me her Mac and it is on there already, so I don't need that anymore.

I need a case to organize my scrapbooking materials.
Spa gift certificate
Mini-Shower wanted more than any sane person would understand.

I gave DH a list a month ago but he hasn't bought anything yet. :)

Christy
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

"Buddy the Elf! What's your favorite color?"

Momof3Labs
12-18-2005, 11:43 AM
A nice (not necessarily expensive) pair of PJs is on my list probably every other year. Same with a new set of sheets, or a pair of slippers.

hautemama15
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
a mini vacation just me and DH would be nice. on the material side of things, i just got a laptop and found a Juicy Couture laptop case that is so cute! I would LOVE that under the tree!

aliceinwonderland
12-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I want precisely what I will be getting: more sleep and more time with my husband and son :)

Materially, I have some books on a list, DH got me a new hat(of course I opened it already!), and I'd love new clothes as I am losing some weight :)
We just dreamed up what would be our perfect US vacation, so I want to start saving for that instead of buying more stuff.

Edited to ad one more idea: In the years I could afford it, I used to get DH and I tickets to our favorite band's concerts...

smilequeen
12-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I wanted/needed a new watch and he bought me two :) What a guy :) I don't need or want anything else, just to have a fun relaxing holiday with my family. If I could wish for the impossible it would be for my inlaws to keep their opinions to themselves while we're visiting ;)

wimama
12-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Hiking Poles aren't dorky. My husband and I both have them. We bought them when we were on our honeymoon hiking Rocky Mountain National Park. They take a lot of the impact off your knees. They helped me hike faster since I could be surer of my balance and footing (and use my upper body for hiking up inclines). It is easy to trip and hurt yourself hiking some of those rocky trails.

If they are dorky, I am a dork too. I will not give up my hiking poles, at least not for trips to Colorado. Trails around where I live are not too challanging, so I don't use as often around here.

ellies mom
12-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I really want a new stroller. I've been wanting one of those "jogging" strollers with swivel front wheel for ages. I mean let's face it, it isn't as though my jogging stroller has even seen a jog (other than that "hurry across the street" thing). I even gave up my dream of a really nice one and put the Schiwnn Safari on my list. There is no way DH will get it for me, not for money reasons really, just because he doesn't think I really need it.

So the other DH approved stuff on the list-
Palm Z22
Elements 4.0
Various books (by name of course)
NY Times Select subscription
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory DVD

Corie
12-19-2005, 12:13 AM
I love the word 'Hufflepuff' !! It's so much fun to
say! Say it really fast like 100 times! :)

I'm rereading this and I sound like an idiot.
I just like how certain words sound.

MarisaSF
12-20-2005, 12:43 AM
>I love the word 'Hufflepuff' !! It's so much fun to
>say! Say it really fast like 100 times! :)
>
>
>I'm rereading this and I sound like an idiot.
>I just like how certain words sound.

No, Corie, you're not an idiot. If you do things like this, you belong in Hufflepuff with us cool kids. ;)

MarisaSF
12-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Okay, so I have a new thing on my wishlist: the $4000 massaging chair at Brookstone. Has anyone else sat in it? If not, run to your nearest Brookstone (sans children), take off your shoes, put your arms and legs in the "squeezers" and press "STRETCH."

I nearly married this contraption. It was pure bliss... in the middle of the mall. I hogged it for over 15 minutes. The guy came by with the "hard sell" telling me about all it's features. I just pretended I was going to go home and ask my DH for it.

I'll need it after one of my pole-aided hikes! :)

ETA: I *think* y'all know I'm kidding and this is not on my real list, but just in case.

KBecks
12-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I want inexpensive gifts this year. I'm feeling stressed about our budget and I think I can appreciate small things more.

-- as many Ghiradelli chocolate bars as I can eat
-- new socks / underwear
-- I'd really like a new winter coat, but need to pick out something like this myself

-- Starbucks gift card
-- Books

zuzu
12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
DH wants this too. The price tag on this one makes the one he wanted previously look like a bargain - wonder if that was on purpose? ;)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

jbowman
12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Gift-wise, I don't want anything. And neither does DH. We agreed to skip gifts this year. The only thing that I really *want* right now is a healthy baby in the new year.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help the OP!

DebbieJ
12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I want a day off. From sun up to sun down I don't want to do anything for anyone other than myself. I don't want to change any diapers, prepare any meals, do any dishes or laundry. I don't want to make any decisions about what other people can or can't do. I just want to worry about ME for one day!

Since that will never happen, I think DH is buying me a remote start for my car.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mainepotato
12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I asked for a Wusthof chef's knife.

stella
12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
sorry to hear about the divorce. I agree that you need things that are GIRLY and all yours!!! I love your gift ideas.

Hugs to you and your three!

Claire