PDA

View Full Version : Is there a book about MILs?

kelly ann
12-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I know there have been posts in the past about parenting books and relationship/marriage books that y'all recommend. Does anyone have any books that can help me figure out what to do with my MIL? I am serious!

I am at a loss and don't know how to tackle the situation. I guess I am trying to figure out if I should bite my tongue and live with her treatment of me for the rest of my life or should I (and DH) take a stand.

DH says that I let her actions/comments just get to me too much, but he just doesn't understand how I feel since she treats him just fine. DH thinks I want him to cut her out of his life. I don't what that, but I do need to figure out if I am over-reacting or is there truly a problem that we need to deal with.

I thought there may be a book out there that I can get DH to read and maybe it will help him understand why I am so upset with my inlaw relationship :(

ddmarsh
12-29-2005, 09:10 PM
I do recall hearing about a book on MILs, perhaps try searching Amazon.

One other really important aspect with this is your DH. I am inferring that he does not back you up on things with your MIL since he doesn't even see the problem. We had years of struggles with my ILs and all I wanted from my DH was to back me with them, to show a united front. Over time it has changed and he really does now, but his inability to stand up to them with me really caused a great deal of strife. I guess he really had to come to it on his own though, even though it was hard on me.

Good luck -

kelly ann
12-29-2005, 09:14 PM
He does yell at her and stand up for me. But then it is back to "business as usual" with a couple of days. Meaning - she is calling him up at chatting with him. I am trying to figure out if I need to give ultimatums. The last thing I want to do is to use the children as pawns...for example, treat the mother right or you don't see the grandkids. On the other hand, I sometimes think she needs to earn the right to see the grandkids.

knaidel
12-29-2005, 09:39 PM
This is a great book!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811908364/104-2723100-8024733?v=glance&n=283155

HannaAddict
12-30-2005, 02:43 AM
I have heard good things about "Toxic In-laws" by Susan Forward and that it addresses having a non-supportive spouse too. I am lucky since my husband and I are aligned on this front, but have thought of getting it for a SIL who could use some support.

Kimberly