PDA

View Full Version : Poisoning Warning

jenjenfirenjen
12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
We had a little child poisoning scare here today and I just wanted to post my mistake in the hopes that no one else will make it.

We all know to put our toxins and chemicals and medicines out of little hands reach but I did have something that must have fallen off a high shelf and my DS got a hold of it, opened it and drank a little of it.

It was Tend Skin, a product for preventing and treating ingrown hairs. The big mistake I made (besides not keeping it in a safer place) was that I did not store it in it's original packaging. I like to spray it on after shaving so I keep it in an old little spray bottle that used to contain hair detangler.

My DH found DS with the bottle and being a ChemE, he looked at the ingredients (of the detangler) and wasn't immediately too concerned. But he brought it to me and I knew what it was and that it actually contained a product that had isopropyl alcohol and aspirin in it. So we called poison control and luckily, everything was fine.

I realized though that had I not been home, DH would have had no idea what DS had gotten into and had DS drank more of it, it could have been quite bad. I really hope this is a frivilous post and no one else has made this mistake but if you do store any chemicals, toxins, medicines, etc in something other than their original packaging, it's imperative to somehow label them so if DC were to get into them, someone will know what they have ingested. I had the scare of my life today.

DebbieJ
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh, Jen!

I'm so glad everyone is okay. Thanks for the reminder.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

barbarhow
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Jen-thanks for the reminder. I am so glad that Luke is fine. Scary, huh?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

bcky2
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
how scary, im so glad that your ds is ok and it wasnt worse then it was. i had a scare with cinnamon esential oil and was scared to death! poison control people are WONDERFUL! my ds was ok except for some swelling but im sure he will never like cinnamon stuff ;)

thank you for the reminder, we all need them now and again!

mamamayi
12-30-2005, 12:31 AM
My sister got into cinnamon oil and got burned when she was a baby. I think things like this happen more than you think they would. I'm very glad everything is okay.

May

KrisM
12-30-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm glad he's okay. I can't say I would have thought of this, so I am really glad you posted this reminder. Most things are in the original container, but sometimes, I do put things in smaller containers for convienence. I will label them all tomorrow!

missym
12-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Jen, there is nothing frivilous about this! Thank you so much; I often take OTC stuff out of its packaging and never would have thought of the implications. I'm so glad your little guy is ok.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

annasmom
12-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Jen, I am so glad that your ds is fine. This is a very valuable warning!! I could definitely see something like this happening in my house because while dh is very safety concious, he doesn't always know or remember if I do something like put a substance in a generic bottle.

ribbit1019
12-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm so glad that everything is o.k.!
How scary for you and your DH. Thank you very much for the reminder I will be double checking the cabinets tonight. :)

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby