PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Mexican Fiesta--recipe help needed

DebbieJ
12-29-2005, 11:57 PM
We're having a small NYE party at our house. I'm making the chicken tacos that never got made on Christmas due to family drama (you may remember the story posted here).

I need side dish help! Anyone have some authentic, from scratch recipes for good Spanish rice or beans or anything else appropriate?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jamsmu
12-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Would you want to serve soup? I posted a great tortilla soup the other day in the vegetable, egg-free post. Its also good with Chicken (search for the "best darn tortilla soup" for the original recipe.) And the other night I made it with shrimp and avocado chunks (rather than guac.)

Of course, I always just do like they do at ZuZu and other yummy restaurants: Rice-a-Roni Mexican rice and Ortega Refried Beans. Include some chips, a few varieties of salsa and you're good (oooh!! And you can use all of your cool serving pieces from PC!)

I know you didn't ask, but Mexican Layer dip is awesome, as are tortilla pinwheels: smear a mix of cream cheese and mayo on a tortilla, next smear on refried beans. Then roll up and allow to sit in fridge for 24 hours. Cut into bite size pieces and serve with salsa for dipping--yum! I've also mixed onions, jalepenos, green chopped chilis (available in little cans by Old El Paso) and/or chili powder into the cc/mayo mix for added flavor.

Happy New Years!

bcky2
12-30-2005, 09:17 AM
ok, that sounds like such a yummy night! i will be there around 8ish, is that good for you ;)

sorry i dont have any recipes but have you tried the web site www.allrecipes.com you may find something there. my sister loves that site and turned me onto it.

DebbieJ
12-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Julie, those are some great ideas!

And Becky, you are more than welcome to come if you want to make the drive down here! The kids are welcome, too.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jbowman
12-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Debbie,

With Mexican layer dip, I start with refried beans (veggie ones), then spread a mixture of sour cream and taco seasoning over it (one pint of sour cream plus one packet of taco seasoning), cheese, tomatoes, green onions, olives, etc. Haven't made it in awhile, but it's the best!

bcky2
12-30-2005, 10:16 AM
you are too kind. 2+ hours one way in the car with my kids is more of a nighmare then a joyful night out ;)

i hope you have a wonderful nye party!

jenjenfirenjen
12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
This is a recipe for charro beans from a mexican restaurant in Houston. They are my fave! Oh, and FYI, it always takes me way longer than an hour of cooking to get them nice and soft so that part of the recipe isn't exactly right.

Pappasito’s Frijoles a la Charra

1 ½ lbs pinto beans uncooked
1 gallon cold water
¾ lb. bacon (cut in 1� squares)
½ c. + 1 tbsp. fresh garlic chopped
4 tbsp. cilantro + 1/8 c. chopped fine
1 c. white onions chopped
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
½ gallon cold water
1 ½ tbsp. salt
2 c. roma tomatoes

Soak bean in 1 gallon cold water overnight. Drain when ready to use.

In 2 gallon heavy pot, cook bacon until well-done. Do not undercook bacon pieces. Ad ½ c. garlic, 4 tbsp. cilantro and onions to hot bacon. Cook until onions are transparent. When onions are ready, add the beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir and add ½ gallon cold water. Turn to medium-low heat. Add salt and stir. Cook beans slowly until fork tender (approximately 1 hour.) Stir constantly to avoid burning bottom. After cooked, add remaining garlic, tomatoes and cilantro.

Makes 1 gallon.

jamsmu
12-30-2005, 10:45 AM
OMG -- I LOVE Pappasito's! Their food is so different than the rest (ie OTB, Don Pablos, Chuy's...)! And what a peppery salsa! Yum!

jenjenfirenjen
12-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, forgot you went to school in TX right? Pappasito's is da bomb! My mom brought up their fajita meat for Christmas dinner. Yum!