PDA

View Full Version : Need cleaning help - best barf deodorizer? UPDATE

Sillygirl
12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I am stuck at the house today since I don't want to travel with Jonathan. The club soda is amazing! I've applied it three times to the mattress and the smell is almost gone. It seemed to fizz a LOT in the beginning and now only fizzes a little when I pour, so I hope that means there are many fewer stink molecules remaining. I've also poured it on the carpets but those take a lot longer to soak up the club soda.

Any remaining smells, I will stop by the pet store. Thanks to one and all - I wanted to update in case someone else does a search, finds the thread, and wonders if the club soda could really work at that well - IT DOES!

Jonathan's got a nasty stomach bug. He barfed last night in the crib but didn't bother letting us know - I guess he felt better after it was all out. So this morning I walked into the nursery to be confronted by a very smelly baby and baby clothes and crib and carpet. . . you get the picture.

I only had a sheet on the crib mattress - dumb, maybe, but we've literally had one accident in fourteen months. So the mattress reeks even after I've wiped it down with OrangeClean and let it air. What's the best way to get it clean and smelling fresh? Please don't tell me I need to replace it - it's the Colgate Classica III and it cost a fair amount. Help!

Oh, and he's still sick this morning, so suggestions on carpet would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

jamsmu
12-30-2005, 10:42 AM
CLUB SODA!! I'm not certain about the mattress, but my parents always had a pantry full of club soda when we were growing up--just for this purpose. We had to use it recently when Carson vomitted--I just spilled some on and it was clean.

And what about spraying his room with Febreze?

Hope Jonathan feels better soon.

Momof3Labs
12-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Nature's Miracle (get it at pet stores) will actually get rid of the smell. Febreeze will just cover up the smell with a perfumey smell - yuck. Follow the directions closely on the Nature's Miracle bottle. It may take up to a week (and repeat applications) to get the smell out of carpet, but it WILL work!

Sillygirl
12-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Okay - I have the club soda and I've poured it onto the crib mattress and the carpet - do I let it sit there for a while to soak in?

And what's the difference between club soda and seltzer, BTW?

If this doesn't work I may need to risk a run to Whole Foods for the pet deodorizer. That mattress is STANKY!

Marisa6826
12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Nature's Miracle!!! Any pet store will have it. The stuff ROCKS.

-m

trumansmom
12-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I use Odo-Ban. Same principle as Nature's Miracle. I bought a gallon of it two years ago. Many, many stomach viruses later, we still have a bunch!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

AmyZ
12-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry you have to deal with this yucky topic! I love Carpet Science Spot and Stain remover for the carpet -- it was tricky to find -- I found it in an upscale type hardware store. It is worth the search because it works great.

For the smell, I have used Totally Toddler from TRU, and Everyday Stain and Odor remover from Whole Foods.

I just kept spraying and spraying... eventually the smell went away! I now wish I bought one of those carpets that comes in individual squares -- then after a throw-up you just toss the square and get a new one! :-)

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana May 2/5/04