PDA

View Full Version : OT: Locating a bankruptcy record

Mermanaid
12-31-2005, 12:10 AM
These are public records right? Where is the best free place to go and find the info? I have searched the internet and cannot find record of a bankruptcy that our adoption facilitator says she has filed.

Background: Before we found out we were pregnant, we had contracted with an adoption facilitator in CA. She moved to GA last summer and said she was still in business but could not accept the second half of the fee specified by the contract (due to GA state laws on facilitators). Now, I am hearing from her that the company has filed bankruptcy. I want to see about getting back at least a part of the intial fee we paid. Any info out there on what my next step should be?

HannaAddict
12-31-2005, 01:18 AM
You will probably have to go to the courthouse that deals with bankruptcy in whatever jurisdiction (area) she filed. Bankruptcy courts are sometimes located in the federal courthouse or their own area. In my city, they are in an office building downtown. You can search in person for free. There are services that can search for it too, not sure if Lexis or Westlaw will do a one time stand alone search (versus a subscription service). The general internet probably won't have the info. I would first ask her for the case number, where it was filed, who the trustee is, etc. She may or may not tell you. You might call your local court and ask if they have any free search feature for bankruptcy cases.

Kimberly