PDA

View Full Version : Help for the large busted

avgillian
01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi ladies,
My baby is almost 8 weeks old and I am nursing. I am about 30 lbs over my usual weight ( I've only lost 8 lbs since he was born.. oh the inhumanity!)but I'm about 4 sizes larger in the bust. I am just starting on working on losing weight, now that the holidays are over and now that he is home form the hospital (born 10 weeks early and stayed in NICU for 6 weeks) My biggest problem is my bust size and trying to find clothes to wear. Most of my maternity shirts that button up the front are too SMALL in the bust now and when I buy larger size women's clothes, they are just enormous if they fit in the bust. It's not a huge deal now since I'm home but I'm going to return part-time to work soon and I need some ideas on clothes to fit my new figure. Any ideas?
TIA,
Amy and baby Louis
www.louisnassif.blogspot.com

bostonsmama
01-02-2006, 10:33 AM
IME, the "X" sized clothing (like 1X, 2X) fit for all-around larger featured women, and the regular women's sizes (like 16, 18, 20, etc) are more for women with select large features. My mom carries weight in her midsection and chest, but has skinny arms & legs and narrow shoulders, so some of the X sizes make her look like a football player, but the regular women's sizes are perfect on her. IIWY, that's what I'd check out...and get some pretty, soft cardigans that can lie open over a nursing shell for easy access.

Hugs, from what I hear the post partum weight falls off everyone differently, so don't beat yourself up, and check out the MommyFit forum for support....lots of great ladies here.

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

psophia17
01-02-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't remember the last time I wore a button-down blouse...they never do up without stretching out all over.

I've had good luck with tops from Old Navy, though - the cotton crew with spandex. I believe Ann Taylor also does pretty well, although I've had less of them.

Are you BF, and have you gotten new bras to accomodate your new size? That would make a difference too, in how you wear tops.

Saartje
01-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Button-down shirts are very unlikely to work for you. They barely work for me, and I'm large-framed to go with my gifts from the boob fairy. ;) You'd think specialized nursing shirts would help with the need for plenty of space for breasts while your body is still approximately its usual size, but I found they didn't help all that much.

For shirts, I'd suggest trying to find T-shirts or tank tops made of a stretchy material. You can wear a cardigan over them to make it look like a twinset for work, and the stretch will allow them to fit your chest without being absolutely huge everywhere else (though you may still have to wear a larger size than usual). I'm not talking about the teensy T-shirts that are supposed to stretch on anyone, just regular T-shirts with a little spandex content.

Marisa will probably be able to help with this one; I know she was able to give me advice on the subject back when I was first trying to figure it out. Hope she sees this topic.

As for "only" having lost 8 lbs since your son was born... Don't knock yourself down for that, Amy! You've been a new mom for the last eight weeks, 3/4 of that time was spent with your baby hospitalized, and you're still caring for a preemie. Some women find it harder to lose weight while breastfeeding, so I just want to caution you not to try to cut down drastically on your caloric intake in an effort to lose weight. You're likely to damage your supply of milk for your baby if you do that, and that can be a greater stressor on you.

You might check the Maternity Clothes section of the boards for advice; that's where a lot of women post about post-partum and nursing clothes, as well.

And btw, Larissa has her terminology wrong. 1X, 2X, etc. are all just different ways of saying 14-16, 18-20, etc. The diffference she's trying to explain is the difference between, say, 16 and 16W. And the actual difference is not that one is made to fit "problem areas" and the other isn't. The sizes without the W are made with the same cut as smaller (Misses) sizes, just larger. The sizes with the W (Women's sizes) are cut for curvier, more mature women: that is, proportionally more weight is carried at the bust, hips, and thighs for Women's sizes than for Misses. Looking for blouses in the Women's section might indeed help you right now.

kijip
01-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Amy,

I just wanted to give you kudos for losing eight pounds! The weight took months to put on, it will take months to come off. Whatever you do, do not start any regime to lose weight without consulting your doctor as you pp visits or listening to your body. You gave birth and are caring for a newborn. If you are too tired to exercise, we mamas understand! Start slowly, walking etc. Perhaps a class where you can take baby along. Some women will hold on to xtra pounds through weaning (while others lose ita ll from bf) so don't get discouraged if you don't lose it all even in the first year.

I have to buy suits as separate pieces as my weight is in my hips and belly and my torso is smaller---seriously like 2-4 sizes larger on pants, 1-2 sizes larger on skirts. Perhaps matching sets larger tops and smaller bottoms for your work situation? I would stick to nice gently clinging pullovers, perhaps with gathered sides. These will still fit as you drop pounds and you can get away with them at work, even with a suit. I know exactly what you mean by getting a size large enough for one spot and have it just be TOO big in other spots---my pants are like that. Just because I need a bigger tummy section does not mean I want the pants baggy around my thighs and knees!

Glad your baby is home safely and welcome to the boards!

avgillian
01-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks all for the comments. I'll try and find some cardigans to fit my new bod. Long enough to cover my new butt, too! I'm still wearing my maternity pants as alot of my weight gain went to make my lower half even more pear-like than it was before! I've been fitted for nursing bras at the hospital's medela shop so I think my bras fit well. I have 2 soft cup bras but I like the way I look best in the underwire but I don't want to wear that except when I go out of the house so as not to get any plugged ducts. Don't worry, ladies, no radical diets for this nursing mother. I'm just going to cut down on sugar and drink more water and less sugary juices. I took a walk today for exercise and stretched good afterward. My baby likes his sling so when the weather is good, I hope he'll join me!
Thanks for all your help!
Amy and baby Louis