PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy if your last baby was born in 2002?

Momof3Labs
01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out what else we want/need for this baby! So what is out there that is a "must have" for a new sibling? In other words, if all your gear was from 2002, what would you still buy new for baby #2? Or, what is a "must-have" for a second baby? I want to shop a little more, lol, but don't want to buy a lot that we don't need!

So far, I've bought (or have on order):

- Miracle Blankets
- New flannel crib sheets
- New changing table covers
- A few new slings/carriers
- Double stroller (gently used for 90% off retail - thrift store find!)
- Venezia stroller (has footsteps for DS1)
- Navetta for the P3, but think I'll just use it as a bassinet around the house
- A few clothing items from Hanna and Gymboree, but mostly waiting to see how big this boy is and how fast he grows
- A couple of pairs of Robeez in the smaller sizes
- Trumpette socks

We don't need new car seats. I have a FP cradle swing that I borrowed from someone on the boards (the Graco open top that we have is horrible for a newborn, IMO). We plan to cloth diaper, but I am set for now on newborn dipes and have plenty of larger dipes from DS.

I'm debating on a heavy-duty double stroller for the zoo and such but will probably wait to see how it goes without one. When we go those places, there are usually two or more adults, so we could do two single strollers (or the Venezia, since DS likes to walk more these days).

o_mom
01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Not that you need it immediately, but for us, the must-have has been our Superyard XT - once the little one is crawling, you will probably find that having a place to deposit him while you help DS1 is very handy. A Pack-n-play can also work, but the play yard is much bigger and can be expanded later if you need more room.

Also, since you have a bigger age difference, you may find it useful to put the older one in while he plays with older toys. Things like Legos and Playmobil that you need to keep away from the baby. We even have some things with a 2 yo that we can't leave around the baby - the Doodle Pro, for instance - since there are some small parts.

barbarhow
01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I loved having brand spanking new onesies and washcloths for Anna. I didn't mind reusing most of everything else but the washcloths got so dingy looking-I use the old ones for wiping faces in the kitchen and the new ones for Anna's bath.
It was great to have bright new onesies-Jack's were perfectly functional but dingy.

Tondi G
01-02-2006, 04:11 PM
well Mason was an 01 baby and Aidan was born in 05.... the things we got new

some new crib sheets and bumper
a couple of new blankets
onesies and sleepers
washcloths and new burp cloths
robeez
a new diaper bag
Oh and we ended up buying some new bottles (DS#2 preferred the playtex nurser to the Avent bottles that #1 liked!)

We borrowed a FP ocean wonders bouncer and our little guy loved it! Oh and we got a mobile (the tiny love one) this time around (didn't have one with Mason!)

other than that it sounds like you are pretty much covered!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

lizajane
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
do you need cloth wipes? on my mind since i just ordered velour...

we love our dreamer designs doubler jogging stroller.

how about a big brother gift from baby?

how about a few matching brother outfits?

being called to dinner... or i would want to play more!

Karenn
01-02-2006, 06:27 PM
A couple of other things we got:

-new parts for the Medala Pump
-new bottle nipples
-new nursing bras
-new pacifiers

That's all I can think of. I remember feeling like I should be buying more, but then realizing I had most of it!

Jen841
01-02-2006, 07:58 PM
For Evan we have bought the following "new" things...
new Ultimate Crib Sheets
new changing table covers
new nipples for bottles (I poked the heck out of Jude's b/c he was getting frustrated- I am breastfeeding, but due to daycare needed to break out the bottles)
new little socks (can't find the darn ones from Jude)
some new drool bibs (Jude's were used for first foods and some are a bit nasty)
new onesies
a few new sleepers (some fleece ones due to sizes being off a bit)
swing
new larger diaper bag
stroller- Inglesina Twin
new Halloween and Christmas clothing (size difference)
Robeez- never had for Jude, addicted to them for Evan

Due to going from a 1 floor condo to a 2 floor house I picked up a second bouncy seat and floor gym for Evan. So nice to not have to cart them up and down.

Next purchase, a Bumbo.

Happy Shopping!

brigmaman
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
We didn't buy much other than girl clothing. The one thing that I got as a gift and am so thankful, is the Baby Papasan chair. Cadie loved it for about 3 months. I bought a few little pieces for my pump and a few new bottles.

kboyle
01-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Both babies were summer babes so most of the clothes worked out well.
I got:
blankets, DS1 knows which ones were his
bibs
burp cloths
socks
onsies
bottle nipples for when we do bottle feed, even though I exclusively bf we still introduced it early and give him a bottle a few times a week
new pacifiers
new paci clips
big pieces of fleece to use for swaddling, DS1 wasn't a swaddler
Zooper Tango double, awesome, but actually thining of putting it on the swap
a new Skip Hop Dash for me

can't really think of anything else. but i do want a fp deluxe jumperoo!

saschalicks
01-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Lori,
I didn't look, but if your boys are going to be born the same season you are all set for clothes. My boys were exact oppisites so I had to buy a lot of 0-3 clothing for DS#2.

What I found I needed:
-bigger diaper bag (still haven't found the perfect one) :)
-long sleeve onesies
-hooded towels
-burp cloths
-new bouncy (got a used papasan for a great price)
-sun shade for the other side of the car
-toys for DS#1 in case someone came to the house with a gift for #2 and #1 got upset. We hid these in the closet. You'd be surprised how far a matchbox car can take you.
-new PNP sheets b/c #2 was going to be in that for a long time

HTH

kelly ann
01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
How about all of the baby lotions/ointments as well as infants tylenol? We used most of the blankets from when DS was a baby, but I did buy a nice large flannel one from Mr. Bobbles. It was one of our favorites since so many baby blankets are so small.

tarahsolazy
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't have a second, and my first was born in 04, but when did little things like not pertaining to the original question stop me :p?

I find the Bumbo seat intriguing, and will buy one for #2.

kelly ann
01-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I bought this for the second one. However, I only got to use it once. DD was so chubby that I could not even fit her in seat. It took 2 people to get her thighs out of it!

It would have been perfect for the first baby though as he was a peanut. This is a great product, but I would wait to see how chunky your baby is first ;)

cvharris
01-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I didn't buy much for #2 as we had plenty of stuff for Ben. I am wishing that I bought some cold weather clothes, though. We have plenty of long sleeve cotton sleepers, but the baby is too cold in them. So I would have some thicker fleece or terry sleepers on hand in size 0-3. Long sleeve onesies and new socks, too. Plenty of hats - we never used these much with Ben but use them a lot more now. You'll also need plenty of baby hangers for the baby's stuff.

We bought an Arm's Reach Co Sleeper and that has been a good investment. Ben has a great interest in cosleeping with us now that the baby is in our room so I'm glad there is a safe place for the baby when he decides to come in and crash in the wee hours of the night. We had a pack n play, but we use that in our family room and I love having it there for another place for the baby to sleep.

You might want to get some doublers for any newborn dipes that don't have them already - I'm surprised at how soaked they get. And I am finding that I need a ton more wipes as well.

I'm interested in trying a Bumbo seat and maybe the FP Jumparoo when DS gets older.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03) and Nate (12/05)

jamsmu
01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
"-new bouncy (got a used papasan for a great price)"

That was the first thing that came to my mind, too. We also had to get a new exersaucer because our old one was missing a wheel. But they really haven't changed much, so you really don't need that.

Lynnie
01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Jumperoo. My DS2 LOVED it !! Also, when I had DS2, since I had so many clothes and stuff from DS1, I could justify splurging a little more on a few things.

And, for your DS1, I remember when my little brother was born, my sister and I each got a play doctor's bag, and I thought it was the coolest thing. So maybe a fun present like that. We also got DS1 a boy doll, but I know that isn't really what you are asking.

I liked a PPs suggestion of some clean new onesies and bibs. I think I also splurged on a new diaper bag from one of the coops, since I didn't have to get nearly as much stuff for the second guy.

Have fun shopping !

Sarah1
01-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Lori,

I bought a new bouncy chair because mine was pretty trashed (we loaned it out). I went with the FP "Soothing Massage" bouncer and that's definitely been an essential item. Oscar has spent a ton of time in that chair.

I also bought the Miracle Blanket, based on all the raves here, but Oscar didn't like it.

I bought a KKAFP, which I haven't used much.

Someone gave me a BRU gift certificate. I bought the FP Crib Aquarium (which is fine but I certainly don't think it's the essential as some described it to be here!), a new changing pad cover and a new crib mattress pad. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy the crib aquarium.

I also bought a really nice wood playpen, made by Kettler. I found it at Lazar's. I knew with Audrey roaming around I would need a "safe zone" for Oscar. When he starts crawling it'll really be nice to have.

My biggest splurge was definitely on a MBUD (I waited a few wks after Oscar was born to determine whether I thought we needed this) and I haven't used it much lately, but that's mainly because the weather's turned cold and we don't go on long outings in the stroller much these days. You were smart to get one gently used. I was so on the fence about what to do.

I think that's it...seems like kind of a lot although I really felt like I hardly bought anything :P

RwnMayfair
01-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Hmmm, I primarily bought girl clothing, since Taran is a boy. Obviously that doesn't pertain to you though. We also bought a second bouncy seat and a second boppy. Our current home is three levels, and I didn't want to have to cart our current ones up and down between all three levels. We got the Soothing Massage Bouncer by Fisher Price primarily because it has a handle on it, which makes it easier to transport between the two top levels of the house. Oh, and we got a couple more waterproof pads, since Taran's still using them and I knew we'd need more than we had already.

I'm not counting any furniture purchases, such as another dresser or another bookshelf on my list. Anything else we bought, you already mentioned in your list. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/0DU8.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/11Vom5/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/bQLg.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

Piglet
01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Other than the things that were already mentioned, I bought a Gymini. We had very little with DS1, but many of my friends had had babies in the time between my kids, so they gave me lots of things - swing, Bjorn, clothes, etc. The only thing that I really searched high and low for was the Gymini. I also bought new nipples for the bottles, new bibs and wipes and all the ointments/medicine.

Stuff I could have lived without - I bought a bigger diaper bag, but found I carried less stuff now that I knew the ropes a bit more, so I really didn't need a bigger bag with 2. I also found the double stroller was under-used. I bought it for a big trip to Israel when DS2 as 1 month old, but I used the sling or Bjorn and eneded up buying a single while I was there since the baby didn't like the stroller, the older one wanted to ride only occasionally and I hated pushing a big double when I didn't even need a single somedays! I also bought the Lillebaby for our trip and never used it. I used it as a sleeping bag for DS2 when we went camping once but otherwise, it didn't work for anything it was supposed to work for (cradle, carrier, etc.)

Oh... totally forgot, but it rocks - I bought the FP Healthy Care Booster instead of our old icky high chair and am SO thrilled with that purchase. I bought it when DS2 was older obviously, but it has been well worth the money (it is pretty cheap to start off with). I gave away my old high chair to a mom that didn't have one and needed one, so I am happily high chair free!

One final thought about older children gifts and such - I think I am a meanie, but I had trouble with giving and giving DS1 gifts after DS2 was born. We bought and gave him some things and then received so many gifts for him that he was getting new stuff all the time. Couple all the new things with a misbehaving 4 year old and you end up rewarding a kid that is acting out a lot when the new baby comes. I still have a lot of those toys in reserve. I pull them out when he deserves them (i.e. birthday, Chanukah, vacation, etc.). I think that a few special gifts are great, much needed and well deserved, but I would hold off on giving all the gifts you will probably receive for him. He will be assessing his role in your family with the new sibling and will really want your time more than anything. Try to make a special outing with just DS once a week if you can.

houseof3boys
01-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I think you are set! Have you already gone through all of Colin's baby stuff and got rid of the things you didn't like back then and will probably not like now? Ryan had some outfits that I bought that were really cute but super impractical. I knew that if I was going to be changing pants, I didn't want to deal with snaps since it was always faster and easier for me to just pull them off.

I have a baby papassan that Riley never really took to if you want me to send it to you! Just email me and let me know. I have been lazy about craiglisting it. :-)

It's coming up, isn't it????? I hope you guys are getting psyched up for it. Colin will be a great big brother.

Momof3Labs
01-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks all!!

I've added some things to my shopping list. I know that we'll need more clothes (opposite seasons for the boys) but not until the weather warms up around here, which is usually mid to late May. And I figured that I would wait and see how big this guy is, and if he grows the way that Colin did! Will he be short like mommy or tall like daddy and Colin??

I need to sort through all of Colin's old clothes, too, but figured that could wait until we needed each size. But I'm definitely setting aside the things that are a pain since I doubt that we'll even try to use them this time around.

The nursing set-up on each floor is a great idea - I won't be able to nurse in bed all the time with a 3 year old running around!

Deb, I'm going to e-mail you about the Baby Papasan!!