PDA

View Full Version : Any Gymboree suggestions for class ?

TraciG
01-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Can't decide what class to take,I was wondering if anyone took one that they'd recommend.

smilequeen
01-02-2006, 03:32 PM
We are just in the regular play classes and DS loves them :)

cmdunn1972
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
We are in the regular play classes too! DS is 8 months old, so he's in the 6-10 month class. There's a lot of rather unstructured free play time in the class, so DS gets to practice crawling, cruising, and climbing (foam) stairs. I like that he can get his pent-up energy out of his system without too much worry about him seriously injuring himself. (I spot him when he's climbing, of course, and the floors are well-padded.)

To the OP: I would sign up for classes based on your child's personality and interest. Our DS is big on developing gross motor skills like walking, crawling, and climbing, and the regular play classes are great for that. If your DC likes to sit still and focus on sit-(more)-still activities, then art or music classes might be more enjoyable for your child.

jenjenfirenjen
01-02-2006, 06:08 PM
How old is your DC? When Luke was younger, we did both Play and Music but now he won't sit still for Music. He loves Play class though. I've found a lot has to do with the class teacher. Try to find out whose classes fill up fast...they are usually the best teacher.

kensjen
01-02-2006, 07:29 PM
You can do a free preview of any of the classes, that way you can see what Sydney will enjoy before you pay a lot of money!

Right now we are doing a play class. I previewed the art class and Jonah didn't really like it, so I am glad it was just a preview.

It really depends on the child, my son just loves to be in the play classes. But lots of kids love the art/music classes at Sydney's age.

TraciG
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
The class we took is called Gymboree level 5, Sydney is 26 months old. The thing about art is I don't think she'd sit long for that, we took an art/ music class at the Y, the art part was about a half hour which sometimes was too long for her .

I might actually aslo take the Y class again, so HARD to decide

nfowife
01-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Colleen,
I'm about to sign up for the 6-10 month class. However, DD (8 months) is not crawling or cruising yet, she's very happy just sitting! Will we (I :) ) feel left out or out of place in the class? We took the 0-6 month class but there wasn't any free time in that one, it was very structured. I'm going to sign up later this week I think, I have a 6 class credit because I had to quit the class a few weeks early last session. Thanks for your input!

mamalia
01-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Not Colleen but I thought I'd chime in with my two cents that you would probably be fine in the class...

My DD started the 6-10mo class unable to crawl and just starting to sit up well and we never felt excluded. At our gymboree the instructor would tailor the activities for the ones who were not crawling yet. For example, crawlers crawled through the arch to mommy while non-crawlers sat on the sheepskin and were pulled through. If anything I believe it encouraged DD to start crawling earlier because she saw the other little ones moving about.

Malia

julieakc
01-03-2006, 02:45 AM
I second Malia's comments.

My DS is gross motor delayed, but we've always felt the classes were fine for him even when the other kids are more advanced; Ryan was in the crawlers class (the old name) before he was crawling....he rolled everywhere and he was perfectly happy. I think it's better for him to be with kids his age and see their more advanced skills then for him to be "held back" because he's slower. I think a lot depends on the teacher though. I love our Gymboree teacher, and she loves Ryan!

julieakc
01-03-2006, 02:49 AM
I started out with just the play class (last Jan), then added music at the next session (started in April) and we've been doing both since.

As another post suggested you can preview a class first to see what your child likes (and what you like). Also, as another post also noted find a teacher who you like; even though the classes are pretty standard, everyone has a slightly different approach and style. I absolutely adore both our teachers.