PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed with GD - is Splenda OK during pregnancy?

turtledove
01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
I have found conflicting information online regarding Splenda. I was just diagnosed last week with GD, and am trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. I have an appointment on Thursday for diabetic/nutritional counseling, but didn't know what to do in the meantime.

Also, if anyone has any diabetic friendly recipies they are willing to share, I would appreciate it!

TIA!

mamalia
01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
My OB said it was ok and I subsituted recipes with splenda throughout my pregnancy. I borrowed an atkins-type diet book from a friend that had great recipes. I'd post some but I've since returned the book - I think it was called the South Beach Diet Recipes. My words of encouragement for you are that it is soooo much easier now that everyone is Atkins crazy to have GD. I also can't say enough for getting lots of support from your DH. I couldn't have made it through those 6 months if DH wasn't right there eating what I was, especially during holidays.

In general here's what counseling said:
Eat small meals throughout the day (not 3 large ones)
Lots of protein
Cut way back on carbs
Sub brown for white (brown rice, wheat bread/pasta)
Limit cheese, milk (I drank soy)
Watch your fruit intake
You can eat as much as you want of most veggies

Sample Menu for 1800 calories ADA with 3 snacks
Breakfast - 1 egg, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 4 oz milk, 1 tsp. margarine
Snack - 1 small orange, 6 saltines
Lunch - 2 oz chicken, 2 slices bread, 1/2 cup tomato, 2 tsp lowfat mayo, lettuce, & onion
Snack - 1 cup strawberries, 1 yogurt
Dinner - Fist size grilled fish, 1 cup pasta, 1 tsp garlic butter, 1/2 cup brocoli, 8 oz 1% milk, salad
Snack - 8 oz 1% milk, 1 slice wheat bread, 1 tbs peanut butter

Malia

pb&j
01-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Sorry about your GD - I have it, too.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Splenda is okay. For me, though, it was just easier to cut out sodas than replace them with the Splenda version, that way I kind of lost my taste for overly sweet things and it made other cravings diminish.

My GD was really mild, and I didn't make huge changes to my diet. I drink no juice or soda at all. Stick with whole grain bread and pasta, and other high-fiber foods when you're having carbs. If you're eating carbs, have some protein to go with it. For instance, don't just eat pasta and sauce, eat pasta with meat sauce. Insulin resistance is highest in the morning, so avoid fruit and most cereals at breakfast. A piece or two of whole grain toast with some cheese or peanut butter is a better option. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies - yes, your body NEEDS carbs to function! Just try to stay with the complex carbs - check labels for sugar content. Also, be sure to get plenty of exercise - burn sugar in your muscles, rather than let it float around in your blood.

Foods that I avoid that I never imagined would have such an effect on my blood sugar:
-yogurt! I've given up on it until after delivery, because I can't stand the plain stuff, and I don't eat artificial sweeteners.
-orange juice! I jokingly call it "diabetic poison." I can have about 1 oz without making my sugars go up too high
-things that claim to be "wheat" but aren't really whole grain
-Potatoes
-whole grain breakfast cereals. The amount of sugar in granola and grape nuts is out of this world. Exception: Bear Naked brand granola.

Foods that I can't believe I can still eat:
-ice cream. Yes, really. A little bit after dinner. A serving is usually 1/2 cup, and has fewer carbs and more protein than most breakfast cereals.
-Fruit. As long as there's protein to go with it.
-Chocolate. A couple of hershey's kisses or equivalent with a meal. One of my favorite snacks is trail mix with m&m's in it.
-Pasta. Whole wheat, of course. And no bread on the side.

It totally sucks, I completely sympathize. But you can do it - just keep in mind WHY you're doing it, and it gets a lot easier.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

turtledove
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I have been trying to watch what I eat. Soda's aren't really a big deal for me, so I won't really miss that. What I will miss is my daily dose of something sweet (and extremely bad for you). I tried the Breyer's no sugar added sweetened with Splenda and it wasn't too bad. I guess I will just have to see how things affect me. I didn't fail too badly, so I guess I will be finding out in the next few days which things are definitely off the list.

Thanks again!

sidmand
01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
If you're looking for something sweet--Ben and Jerry's has a no sugar added New York Super Fudge Chunk that is amazing. Not *quite* the consistency of ice cream, but it only has 5 carbs per serving and I tested (and tested) and never had an adverse reaction.

The new proliferation of low carb things (particularly chocolate, ice cream, and bread) has saved this Type 2 diabetic! I'm actually restarting the South Beach diet at the moment (down 2 lbs since Jan. 1!) 'cause pregnancy didn't really help, but there is so much out there nowadays. And I was staying away from sugar alcohols in general because they didn't agree with me, but Splenda was always fine.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Smiles81
01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I think you already got some good advice and responses, but just wanted to offer my support and encouragement. I have type II diabetes (was diagnosed a year before my first pregnancy) and its hard during pregnancy especially because of raging hormones but you'll be fine. And the best part is your almost due, and after pregnancy your numbers should go back to normal. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Oh and, yes I use splenda during pregnancy.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04