PDA

View Full Version : midnight sickness

psophia17
01-02-2006, 07:16 PM
I lucked out with DS, and had only motion sickness. Seabands, a constant supply of butterscotch candies, and ginger tea helped a ton, and I ate every few hours.

This time around, I have started a trend of midnight sickness. As soon as I go to bed, I feel absolutely awful. And once I've tried going to bed a few times, the heartburn kicks on in addition to the nausea.

So far (per several searches here and what worked last time) I have tried:
Ginger tea
gingersnaps
ginger ale
Tums
crackers
cheese
ice cream
protein every 3-4 hours

I still need to get:
crystallized ginger
seabands

Is there anything else I could try? I'm willing to try anything - but I don't want to go on meds if I can help it.

Thanks!

trentsmom
01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh, how awful. I didn't have morning (or midnight!) sickness, but I did have horrible heartburn.

Have you tried the preggo pops? No experience, but they might be worth a shot.

A while ago, I read about the makers of seabands coming out with ginger gum. I thought it sounded yummy since I love the taste of ginger. I never could find it in the stores around me. Maybe you'll have better luck! http://www.sea-band.com/gingergum.htm

Hope you feel better very soon! :)

schums
01-02-2006, 07:49 PM
When I was pregnant with DC, the doc approved Mylanta. I kept a bottle of it (the liquid version) on my bedside table. I found that because it was liquid, it seemed to stop the heartburn faster and for longer than Tums or other tablet-form antiacids. Some weeks, I took some EVERY night as I was going to bed. It really helped me get at least a few decent hours of sleep.

Can't help you much with the nausea. Maybe eating a little bit of something right before bed, followed by a Mylanta chaser?

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Momof3Labs
01-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Sour candy (or sour lemonade) did a pretty good job of knocking out the nausea for both of my pgs - Sour Patch Kids were one of the best!

kimbe
01-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I ate tons of those peppermint candies (I think that they are called starlite mints or something -- the red and white ones) and they helped me.

(LOL, just thinking about them now makes me sick!)

I hope that you feel better soon! :)

KrisM
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
So sorry you're feeling icky!

Is it the laying down that's doing it? Can you sleep more upright - maybe in a recliner chair or something? Just a thought.

I hope you find something to make you feel better soon.

phirey
01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Try ginger beer rather than ginger ale. It's more likely to contain real ginger and it really helped with mine, It does have quite a spicy kick, but I liked that.

Corie
01-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I would eat the little individual cups of diced peaches.
And make sure you eat the peach syrup too!

I read somewhere that the syrup is a home remedy that
helps with nausea.
Plus, the peaches taste pretty bland to me so I was
able to stomach them.

I had horrible morning sickness that lasted all day with
both kids. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!
(Well, I take that back! I keep thinking my husband
should have experienced the joy of morning sickness!) :)

Good Luck!! I hope you start to feel better!

mommy_someday
01-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Petra, this is going to sound so silly, but I would sometimes lie on our hardwood floors (they're cold) and hold a six-pack of cold sodas to my chest. The first time I did it, I was maybe two months along and our AC had died in the middle of summer. It really seemed to help, so I kept doing it. It's kind of a random long-shot, but it might be worth a try... Sorry you're feeling so crummy, Petra. **hugs**

mamaturk
01-03-2006, 12:58 AM
I LIVED on Sour Patch Kids!!!

deenass
01-03-2006, 07:10 AM
I had a RELIEF band which is a watch like device (you wear it like a watch) and it delivers a small electrical shock every few seconds. It sounds awful, but BOY did it work! I was sick for 26 weeks with DS and it took me until week 14 to invest in the band (it was about $100). WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!

Moneypenny
01-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I liked the Altoids Citrus Sours. They were the only things that kept me from puking all day at work!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
16 months and counting!

Jenn98
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Let me just say that when I was pregnant it was so bad that my SIL said I was a walking advertisement for birth control and I should be giving lectures at local high schools! I tried everything under the sun and finally figured out that Tylenol PM was the answer to my prayers. (Tylenol PM is the same thing as Benedryl and Tylenol mixed, btw.) I know you said you wanted to avoid meds, but I thought I'd chime in with what worked for me since I tried everything.

Tylenol PM worked for me because although I was getting enough hours of sleep I wasn't getting very restful sleep at all. And several weeks on not sleeping well gave way to exhaustion which gave way to the pure hell of 24/7 morning sickness. (Or as I called it: Morning, Noon & Night Sickness!) I only took it a few times a week to avoid a dependence (physical or psychological) and I saw improvements within a few days. It was great.

Just thought I'd toss out what worked for me. Good luck!

Jenn