PDA

View Full Version : Hand hickey help

rebeccaravit
01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Ok, this is kinda stupid but this is what I am worried about at the moment. DS is 3 months old and is very interested in sucking on his hands, wrists and fingers. Occasionally I will try to put the pacifier in his mouth but he prefers his hands. I should be happy about this considering it will make it easier to get him off the binky right? Hell no! I am worried that he is going to give himself a hickey! If he does get one and it is irritating him, what can I do?

I can't see myself calling the pediatrician to ask how to heal a hand hickey.

Thanks!

chiqanita
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi Rebecca-
Well I don't know how to heal a hand hickey but one of my twins now 16 months old used to give himself wrist hickies all of the time when he was about 3 months. He even gave me one on the upper arm when I was holding him. I cut one of his socks and made him a little wrist band and that pretty much stopped it right away. He did try to suck on the sock but lost interest. I did use pacifiers for both up until around 12 months when they stopped wanting them all on their own.

My sister used to get hickies all of the time, she's fine and I don't recall them being a problem other than when my mother or father saw them. She would sneak a frozen spoon out of the freezer and hold it against the area for a little while. I don't know if it worked because she kept it covered up until it was gone. I guess that didn't help you any.

Please share if you do call your pedi, I'm curious now.

jamsmu
01-02-2006, 09:46 PM
DS does the same thing. I did ask the ped and she deals with it all the time. She suggested vaseline as it keeps it lubricated, but its also safe for eatting. Works wonders!! His red and bumpy hands turned soft in a few days.

Raidra
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
My sister was actually born with a hickey on her wrist. The doctor was really worried for a minute before he realized what it was. She still has a tiny brown mark on her wrist, but I don't recall any problems with it.

I'd just be happy that he's happy, and leave it at that. If he irritates the skin, use some vaseline. I'm not sure if Aquaphor is safe to eat, but we use it on Lachlann's super dry, chapped skin and it works wonders.