PDA

View Full Version : Please share your thoughts on our middle name options.

jodi_b
01-03-2006, 10:33 AM
DH and I selected the name Elena early in my pregnancy, but we've really struggled with picking a middle name. We've decided not to ask anyone IRL in order to avoid offending friends and family when/if we select a name they don't like.

Here are our thoughts on each of the options:

Elena Raquel - We like the very feminine yet unfussy sound of this name, but wonder if it's perceived as strictly a Spanish/Latina name. Our ethnicity is mixed, but primarily Euro-American and Native Alaskan.

Elena Colette - This option has a nice flow (to our ears at least). However, the '-ette' seems a little fussier than something we would normally select.

Elena Kay - Simple and sweet, but a little choppy and filler-ish. (DH is opposed to 'filler' names, but finds Kay acceptable.)

Elena Catherine & Elena Madeline/Madelyn - Pretty, classic names, but are they too much of a mouthful when combined with Elena?

Please let us know what you think! We've pondered the names so much that it will be good for us to get a fresh perspective.

Thank you!
Jodi

momto2boys
01-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I voted for Elena Raquel because I like having the same number number of syllables in the first and middle names. Also, I don't see the name as being strictly Spanish/Latina.

Best of luck in your decision,
Kathy

DS #1 - 12/01
DS #2 - 11/03
DS #3 - due 7/06

elliput
01-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Another vote for Elena Raquel. Beautiful name! I don't think it sounds Spanish/Latina, as I think of Elena as a more eastern European name for some reason.

momofmany
01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
My vote is for Elena Catherine, as it the name of my own sweet DD, age 3. I think Elena is a beautiful and classical name and we rarely find another child with this lovely name. My daughter's middle name of Catherine is in honor of my aunt. Good luck with your new daughter - any of your choices are lovely.

Becky - mom of three great girls and one great boy!

dietre_g
01-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I voted for Elena Catherine because it flows and is classic. It will also serve your DD in any profession she chooses...

I also like Elena Colette because it is different and distinct without being overly fussy. Still appropriate for any profession. Best of luck with the choice..

Is it just me, or are girls names so much harder!?!?

Dietre F.
Mom to Evan Gregory
Born 3.15.05
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060315/1/6/1/-5/.png

mudder17
01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Ooh, tough choice! I'm not going to vote, but I will say that I prefer Elena Raquel or Elena Katherine (I like the K better than C, but otherwise the sound is the same). I love the name Madeline, but I think Elena Katherine flows better.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

amp
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
I know you have to go over and over and over names for the perfect one, but pick what you LOVE. Don't worry about the rest. I vote for the one you like the best.

MarisaSF
01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
How are you pronouncing Elena?

I've known it (at least) 3 ways:

ELL-uh-na
uh-LAY-na
uh-LENN-a

Would probably make a difference in which middle name I'd go it. Are any of the middle names meaningful (family names, etc)? I'd go based on meaning, not just sound.

jodi_b
01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all of the votes/comments so far!

We pronounce Elena uh-LAY-na. None of the middle names are family names or have any other significance except that we like them!

chiqanita
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Love the name! I voted for Elena Raquel. It just flows for me.

I have an aunt named Maria Elena and would name a girl that should I ever have one.

Good luck, they are all great names.

jodi_b
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Another Elena! My compliments on your choice in names. ;-)

One of the things we like about the name is that it is used in many parts of the world, yet is relatively uncommon here.

KBecks
01-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I like Elena Catherine... I was reading and thinking.... #1 eh, #2 eh, #3 nice, but eh... #4 - BINGO!

All of your names are nice names, but I like the combination of #4 the very best. The names complement each other the best, IMO. And I like the style and uniqueness of Elena blended with the solid, classic feel of Catherine as the middle name.

Catherine on its own is a bit faded-sounding (my apologies to Catherines!), but adding it to Elena gives punch to both names.

Elena
01-03-2006, 04:40 PM
No suggestion on the middle name, but as Elena myself, your post caught my eye.

I was pleasantly suprised that so many of you like the name. It is so overused in ex-USSR. In my elementary school, I had 5(!) Elenas in my class of 37 students.

Which of these 3 pronunciations do you think is the most common one?

ELL-uh-na
uh-LAY-na
uh-LENN-a

I always have trouble pronouncing my OWN name in English!

Piglet
01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
My mom is Elena and we are from the former USSR as well. She has SO many Elenas in her age group. Her best friend is Elena and she moved to our city a few years ago, which gets funny, since I only know two Elenas and they are best friends. My mom also has trouble getting people to pronounce her name correctly - most people think it is Ilana, but she is uh-LAY-na. We have lived here for almost 25 years and she has changed her name pronunciation 3 times - she was Lena and Ellen for a while but finally convinced herself that people could pronounce Elena. I am Marina, which is also way too popular in my age group (like the Jennifer of the USSR). My dad is Eugene, which also is over-used, but all of us sound so exotic in Canada, LOL!

lizajane
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
i like the sound of elena catherine )and my mom is ellen and my sister is catherine. ;) )

american_mama
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I like any of your first three, although I think Elena Kay would be better if your last name is two syllables or more. I LOVE the name Colette, but think Raquel sounds better with Elena. Something about the two feminine endings -a and -ette doesn't go great together to me.

urquie
01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
i voted for elena catherine, it's very pretty. i learned of a friend's dd's middle name today which has a similar sound to catherine...

elena corinne. just tossing out ideas here:)