PDA

View Full Version : Toddler computer games?

Momof3Labs
01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
DS is intrigued by the computer these days. When he goes to the fitness center "daycare", he's been playing a Hot Wheels game and was playing a different game yesterday (DH didn't know which one). I'd like to find something that helps him develop basic computer skills (using the mouse, using the different arrow keys) but would like some age-appropriate educational/entertainment factor, too. If it could "grow" with him, that would be a bonus!

It would be a PC-based game.

Any suggestions??

ctmom
01-03-2006, 02:44 PM
we use the free games on noggin.com, pbskids.com and nickjr.com.

HTH!
Mary

kedss
01-03-2006, 02:46 PM
our DS learned the computer by sitting in DH's lap at our computer and typing on a word processing program, we haven't introduced computer games yet.

Momof3Labs
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
We did that long, long ago, but the entertainment factor just isn't there for my 3 year old.

deenass
01-03-2006, 03:24 PM
DS just got Caillou READY for School. It comes with over 100 games. I thought it might be too old for him, but so far he seems to be really enjoying it and is definitely ale to do it (he played with limited assistance for 45 mins the first time he played it). It was purchased at TRU

At the library he likes to play a Thomas the Tank engine game, but I don't know the name.

trumansmom
01-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Lori -

Nick, Jr. has lots of games that are slightly more advanced, as does PBS Kids. DS plays them frequently. Unfortunately, he has learned how to download games AND has found other sites! Yikes! We've had to dramatically limit his computer time.

The Thomas site is pretty good, too.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

overcome
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Check out

http://www.starfall.com
I think it will be perfect for your objectives.

HTH
Ashley

redhookmom
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
My daughter was using the computer for the first time today. It was Reader Rabbit Toddler, she loved it.

wendmatt
01-03-2006, 09:56 PM
DD loves the 'pooter'! I type in whatever she's into that day and they all have a website with games. Clifford, Elmo, Wiggles, Strawberry Shortcake (her fave at the mo), Dora, any of the kids shows have games. They are good for mouse control, have coloring games, click and drag costumes etc. We do have a Thomas computer game, but it's not all that more advanced than the free ones.
DD is very good on the computer now, if I write an e-mail she insists on writing her own message and will spend ages typing letters carefully, then scroll down, and click on send, she was showing my Mum how to use it when she was here!!

new_mommy25
01-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Costco has a computer program for toddlers and another one for preschoolers. I think it is put out by Nick. I've never used them but they are pretty inexpensive.

I've also heard good things about Reader Rabbit.

I did a quick search and there are a few toddler options on Amazon. There are a ton on Scholastic.com http://tinyurl.com/79bua

nicoleandjackson
01-04-2006, 08:02 AM
I second Reader Rabbit Toddler!

Here at daycare, the tods and twos "play" mostly character-based interactive storybooks for the PC: Green Eggs & Ham, Miss Spider's Tea Party, Arthur's Birthday, The Cat in the Hat, Elmo & Baby Natasha, etc.

Also--check the PC box for the ESRB rating of "EC" for Early Childhood. I've found that the ratings listings are very handy to distinguish between young-looking "E" (everyone) games and ones that are really targeted toward pre-K.

Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Who's the Biggest Boy? It's Jackson!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020430/1/2/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

Lynnie
01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
I agree to check out the free stuff that exists out there. we go to the wiggles site, pbs kids, and I found some fun games at the fisher price website too.

dogmom
01-04-2006, 10:08 AM
If my DS interest in my DH computer games are any indication I suspect his first computer game will be World of Warcraft. *sigh*
(I guess I should be happy it won't be Grand Theft Auto.)

There are some cute little games on the Thoms the Train and the Bob the Builder web sites that he likes to play with me, but I haven't taught him how to really use the keyboard yet.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Twin Mom
01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
We use the free games at the sites for Thomas, The Wiggles, Playhouse Disney, etc. but I think DC and I are kind of tired of them. Publix Supermarkets sent out a free game CD for their toddler club that my kids are also into if you have Publix where you are. I did buy a Thomas Game called Trouble on the Tracks a while back and DH just bought them a Dora game so they have a bit of variety. I also bought Reader Rabbit Preschool software but they haven't used it yet.

Karenn
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
We like Reader Rabbit too. We started with the toddler version, but Colin is really enjoying the preschool version more these days. I think the toddler version has gotten a little boring for him.

Sarah1
01-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Nick Jr. has some good ones. Audrey has become an expert at clicking and dragging. It's truly amazing. For example, there are some "jigsaw puzzle" games where you drag the pieces into the right place. You can choose the games by age or by show. Sorry if you already know about this. Anyway, HTH :)

JLiebCamm
01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
DS loves the games on the Sesame Street website. There are a lot to choose from there!

janeybwild
01-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Another vote for Reader Rabbit toddler...we have Sparkle Star Rescue and Megan loves it. Our library has a different Reader Rabbit one which is good too (drawing a blank on the name). We have to limit computer time to 15 mins a day, or I swear she would be on it constantly. She can mouse around, click and navigate the map on her own. We’ve kept the keyboard away for now, mostly because its our only one :) We also use the free games at Wiggles and Sesame Street others have said. We do have a Disney toddler game also which is fun, but she's not as enamored with it (I think its too basic). My guess is Colin is ready for preschool version versus a toddler version.