PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone have FLOR carpet tiles?

mattysmom
01-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Or know anyone who has them? I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with them! They seem like a neat option for our den/playroom area but I've only seen them on the webiste.
Thanks!

http://www.interfaceflor.com/

CiderLogan
01-03-2006, 03:32 PM
We installed FLOR tiles in my DH's bike/fitness room in the basement. We got the most low-end/high-durability style and are happy with them. I'd definitely go up in price/plushness for a playroom, but I think they turned out great for us. They are not that hard to install. They often use these on home redecorating shows, I've noticed! Lowes carries some of the styles if you want to see samples in person.

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another one due 5/29/06!

american_mama
01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Someone else on the boards used them in her playroom. You can do a search and ask her (something I've been meaning to do and haven't). I did some research on Flor for our remodeled basement, and discovered Home Depot sells a similar product called Legato by Miliken carpet. It has a built in carpet pad, so the overall feel is softer and thicker than Flor. The textures on Legato all appear to be like regular wall-to-wall, not the varied textures that Flor goes ga-ga for.

You can also order samples of Flor on their website, which I did. I think it's $5 for 5 or 8 samples, and you get the money refunded if you place an order within 30 days or so of getting the samples.

I don't think either products will work for our basement, however.

caheinz
01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
We just put some into our family/play room.

Installation was a breeze (of course, we put laminate down below it the same weekend, but it really was easy!). They stay down -- DS hasn't figured out how to lift them at all.

We have a large dog and 2 cats, and none has done any damage or pulled any up yet. (We just installed over Thanksgiving.)

They aren't very padded, and there's really no way to pad them, so it might be worth looking at the ones at Home Depot that another reply mentioned.

We love what it did to the room. We went from a dingy beige carpet, to a checkerboard of sorts with a dark stripe-y one and some paler colors from the stripes. The room looks a thousand times better than it did!

We didn't put down any adhesive, by the way. Just laid the tiles down. Didn't exactly follow the instructions -- just started in one corner and went from there. (The way the room is, two walls have shelves, so most of the cut tiles are hidden under them!)

Can't think of much else, but would be happy to answer (or try) any more specific questions!

ETA: We bought them at Lowe's using a 10% off coupon we had, so it was a pretty good deal. Their prices are lower than the website's, but the selection is not as good. They're also completely different patterns than the website. I did find it on Lowe's website, but only by doing a search for FLOR.

katerinasmom
01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
I've used the Legato carpet tiles that Home Depot sells and that were mentioned by another member. They were super easy to install and felt good to walk on without shoes. We used them in our family room and in the nursery and in our spare bedroom. When we decided to remodel, I just pulled them all up and saved them. I think that they work best when used instead of wall to wall carpet as opposed to an area rug. Because they don't have finished edges the padding will show on the sides if you were to use them as an area rug.

houseof3boys
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
We are still undecided on our flooring but it's at the top of our list right now!

Sign up on their website because they have frequent promotions. One just ended last month for 25% off.

I also ordered samples not to long ago with a code from budget living magazine. I was pretty impressed with all of the samples from the high end to the low end!

lmintzer
01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
These look neat! Is the pupose to allow for easy replacement of any one or two stained pieces? We're about to finish our basement and may really have to do this with 2 active boys!

lmintzer
01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Sorry. Double post.

lmintzer
01-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry. Double post.

lmintzer
01-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry. Double post.

caheinz
01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
That's one benefit. The super-easy install is another...