PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blanket recommendations? (x-post with Around the House)

JacksMommy
01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
For some reason, I am FREEZING this winter! I'm wearing double layers of wool socks and double layers of clothes under our down comforter, plus I am cuddling up with DH and DS and I'm still so cold it takes me forever to get to sleep. I'm wondering if an electric blanket would help. Does anyone have recommendations for a reasonably priced one? Would love to have something easily available IRL (I need some sleep!) and preferably one that has a timer shutoff, since after I've been asleep and wake up, I'm sweating buckets in all these clothes.

TIA!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

holliam
01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
We have the fleece one from Lands End, but it's not very cheap. We needed a fleece blanket and I decided I wanted it to be electric since DH wanted to turn the heat way down at night.

I really love it, but it only auto shuts off after 10 hours. It has a pre-heat setting that gets the bed all warm and toasty and then switches to the last setting you had.

I'm really loving it, though the timer could have been better designed.

Holli

Momof3Labs
01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Try fluffing your down comforter - or you may need a new one if the down has shifted a lot (this was our problem one winter - couldn't figure out why I was SOOO cold and DH was so hot). I've also found that throwing a quilt on top of the down comforter really helps keep in the heat (more than just adding a quilt to the top of a blanket).

o_mom
01-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I have always loved my electric mattress pad - it is underneath instead of on top, so all the warmth gets trapped in the covers. You can get them with dual controls, so each side can be set to diff. temps and I think mine had an auto shutoff after 10 hours or something. I haven't used it for a couple of years since I didn't want to have it on with the baby in bed.

Here is one at BBB, but I know I've seen them other places:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=107319