PDA

View Full Version : Lower back issues: Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis ??

Lynnie
01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Any medical types know anything about this, or anyone have it diagnosed ?? My lower back has been killing me for a while now, and I finally had my appt with the orthopaedist, and he said the xray looks like I have Spondylolysis, and could have been born with it, or gotten it from playing sports all my life. Getting MRI tomorrow.

I did a search on the web, and it doesn't seem very serious, but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this, particularly, when my back might actually STOP HURTING, and what I can be doing to speed that process along. (telling me only when I don't lift heavy things will not help, since my 20 month old is 35 pounds, and needs to be lifted into the crib, the car seat, the changing table, etc.)

TIA

ctmom
01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
I don't know anything about these conditions but I just wanted to say I (kind of) understand your pain and frustration. My dh has been battling back pain for years and is now scheduled for fusion surgery in a week. Having cronic back pain and trying to deal with the everyday life with a child is not easy. I hope you find relief soon!
Mary

Lynnie
01-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks ! It really hadn't been bad till Thanksgiving, and I am hoping it just goes away soon. I can't imagine having pain so often and so bad that surgery would be necessary. Your poor dh ! I wish him the best, and hope the surgery goes well and he has a wonderful recovery.

dogmom
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I put some links on the end that you might find helpful. The first course of treatment is rest, which clearly is tough with kids. The second course is physical therapy. Most other treatment options, such as surgery, really aren't used except in extreme cases. People can have spondylolysis on x-ray and not have back pain. I would suggest getting a referral to a good physical therapist. Not only will PT give you exercises to strengthen your other muscles to help alleviate the pain, I find physical therapists often pick up the other more minor skeletal muscles problems that can contribute to the pain also. The problem with PT is it is not a miracle cure. It takes weeks of doing the excercises to see a result, but when I've stuck with it for my neck and hip problems it makes a huge difference.

Information on spondylolysis:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=155&topcategory=Spine

http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic69.htm

General information on spinal disorders:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/spinaldiseases.html

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

juliasmom05
01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Mary, DH is battling chronic back pain as well, so I now how debilitating it can be. I hope your DH has a quick recovery after surgery.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

juliasmom05
01-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Sorry, I wish I could give you some specific advice to help you feel better. Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain and hope that you can get some relief from your back pain soon. DH has also been battling chronic back pain, so I know how difficult it is to deal with back pain and raising a toddler.

Hugs

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

mamicka
01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
My DH has this & it *can* be quite debilitating. I would say that my DH limps because of his back pain at least 50% of the time, & he has a mild case. Surgery is an option for him but he's not willing to take on the risks associated with that. The only thing that has really made a difference for him is the PT as a PP mentioned. He was also told that the *worst* thing he could do is lift things over his head, but that could just be specific to him, not spondylolisthesis in general.

Sorry you're in pain - I know it totally blows.

Allison

shannonG
01-04-2006, 11:46 AM
OMG...I can't believe this post!! I was actually diagnosed with this a couple of weeks ago and thought about posting something on here too!! I don't know much about it either except that my lower back kills, especially when I'm sitting and sleeping. I've had MAJOR issues with getting a comfortable nights sleep for two years now (right around the time we went to get a new bed). I attributed my back pain to the new bed and ended up purchasing another new bed (which also hurt) just to help solve what I thought was the problem. During this time I got pregnant with DS and my back obviously got worse. So, I finally decided to see an orthapaedist because the pain was getting so intense. It's nice to know that I'm not completely crazy and there's a reason for the pain I've been feeliing, but I don't think there is a quick fix.

The Dr. thinks I might have had the fracture for some time before we got the new bed (maybe my whole life), but it was asymptomatic until we got the bed, which was too soft. I'm a stomach sleeper and with a soft bed my stomach sinks too much, and I end up with intense pain. I've since curbed my stomach sleeping habit because it hurts too much, and have yet to find a bed that I can get a good nights sleep. I'm getting an MRI soon to see if there are other issues...I think there might be because I have hip pain (so I can sleep on my hips) and leg pain. I think nerves are compressed when I sleep or something...they also ordered an EEG to test for nerve damage.

So, I'd like to balme this whole thing on my DS, but I'm pretty sure pregnancy only made it worse but wasn't the cause. I hope you find relief...and I know how hard it is to "take it easy" with a toddler that you have to CONSTANTLY carry around!!! Feel free to PM me or email me if you want to talk. Shannon :)

shannonG
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for these links. Physical therapy is also something that my Dr. wants me to do for the reasons that you mentioned. I'm badly out of shape, and can see how not having toned stomach and back muscles could be a major factor with this. I'm also planning on having another baby in the next 6 months, so I need to do something about this or I'll be in rough shape!!!! I didn't mean to hijack this thread...I just completely relate to the PP!! Thanks for posting about this!!!

kochh2
01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah for the mention of PT!! (ok, i'm biased, as thats my career lol)... and not mention of chiropractor... I have treated people with this condition before, and also agree that it is important to stick with it and see a PT for strengthenign and pain management techniques. Because it is an orthopedic problem, PT will not make it go away completely (we can't "fix" fractures completely)... but there are some complememtary homeopathic medicines while will help heal bones (see a naturopath/homeopath for which ones) and I suspect that together the Homeopathya nd the PT would seriously kick butt...
One important thing is that because of the way your spine is shaped, you should avoid certain types of movements with this type of Dx... I do not want to suggest anything specific for liability concerns (sorry.. ) and b/c i do not know exactly what YOUR specific situation is... ethically, i do not recommend things unless i have put my hands on you and know what it is you are battling.. YKWIM?? but a PT wil give you suggestions to help keep the bones in the more natural alignment...
It doesn't have to be a lifetime of pain.. get to PT and a homeopath... and feel better **Hugs**
:)hth

ctmom
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
thank you Lynnie and Marci for your well wishes! The recovery will be slow, 10 weeks bedrest, but we are hoping it will worth it. It has been too long since he hasn't been in pain...Marci, I hope your dh can find relief. Lynnie, I hope you feel better soon!
Mary

Lynnie
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, Mary - Ten weeks bedrest ?? Ugh, poor DH ! I was on bedrest with my last pregnancy, and it was tough. But, it was totally worth it, obviously, and hopefully it will be for your dh, too, and he'll be much better. best of luck

Lynnie
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks Jeanne (funny, my sister's name is Jeanne, and my FILs name is Harvey)- the links were helpful. I've been in therapy for a while now, but with two weeks off for the holidays, and me not taking my motrin 800s when I had holiday parties to go to (obviously the pain isn't that bad, or I wouldn't choose eggnog over pain relief...or could it be. hmmm) so hopefully now I can really get back on track. Its just so hard to "rest" with a 20 month old and a 3 1/2 year old boy, especially when DH works late most nights... but when the pain gets really bad, I guess ya gotta do what you gotta do. So the kids don't have baths for a few days. washcloths can work wonders (I hope!) Its good to know if I stick with it, it will start helping soon.

Lynnie
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
So where do YOU practice ?? Anyone you'd recommend in Miami ?? Or, would you want to take a road trip. heh heh heh. its nice and warm and sunny down here... :)

Lynnie
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
wow, that's awful that your DH has it that bad. I didn't mean to imply that it can't be serious, I guess I was just trying not to be a hypochondriac, and also, what I saw on the internet said that many people have it, but have no pain. Of course, I do have pain at this moment, and it does stink, but I am not limping or anything. ouch. poor hubby of yours.

Lynnie
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
wow. wierd.... although the stuff I read did say that 5-6% of the population can have this, so I guess with all the folks on BBB, the chances are that another person might have it, with, unfortunately the symptoms. Will pm or email you when I get home from work if I don't collapse (from normal fatigue, not necessarily pain !!)

Hope you are feeling better. And, if you need to vent, complain, or whine, feel free to email or pm me too ! our own private yahoo "our back hurts and we don't like it so we are going to b#$ch about it to each other" group ! all invited. ha ha. think I'll stick to the retreat group. :)

mamicka
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
No, you're totally right that some people have it & have no pain from it. I didn't think you were minimizing at all - if it's not that bad for you then HOORAY!!! I wouldn't wish this on anybody, truly.

One other really crappy thing about it is that due to the location of the fracture, the pain could be anywhere in the back or hip area. Not sure if that's something you've experienced yet.

brittone2
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Nothing new to add but PT will help. It takes time and perserverance but it should help :)