PDA

View Full Version : removing red-eye from photos

jstevens
01-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Anyone know the best way to remove red-eye using Photoshop Elements. I know there is a red-eye tool but what do you do if the entire eye is red? The red-eye tool doesn't work so well when you have so much red.

schums
01-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I usually just use the manual red eye tool, as I've found the automatic one doesn't seem to do a great job (at least on my pics). Also, you can adjust the color of the red eye tool, so it'll be darker. If you click on the red-eye tool on the left side of the screen, you'll see some drop down boxes at the top of the screen: Pupil size and darken amount. I have my darken amount set at 76% and it seems to take care of pretty much all red eye.

HTH,

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

nupe
01-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't know about Elements--I haven't tried that in a while.

Nowadays, I use Picasa for redeye. (it is available for free www.picasa.com)
The secret is cropping to the eye area so you can really see what you are doing, and then uncropping.

1. Crop the picture to just the eye.
2. Then use the redeye fix on the eye. I think it puts green over the red.
3. Then go to crop again, and un-do the crop.
4. I like to save-as after I do an edit in picasa.

Nupe

jenmcadams
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I have photoshop elements, but I normally do redeye in picasa -- I love this program. I found out about it here and it's really helped me organize and work with my photos

kellyotn
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Another Picasa fan here. I have all sorts of fancy photo editing software from the stuff that comes free with cameras and scanners to full Photoshop, and I find simply using Picasa meets 90% of my needs.

Great tip about cropping in tight, then uncropping!!