PDA

View Full Version : Any campers here?

redhookmom
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I am beginning to think about summer camping. Our family has not really been camping since my first was a baby. I think this summere we are ready. So, it has been 6 years since we have been tent camping. (We have gone to a few cabins) Most of our gear has been loaned and not returned, rusted or was not that great to begin with.

I am wondering if there is a site like this one where people talk about camping equipment and campgrounds. I am excited to have some gear to shop for. :-)

bostonsmama
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I was really into the camping thing last summer when DH booked a trip for us up to Northern Vermont where we were going to hike a trail around Lake Willoughby (but when gas prices hit $4/gal we had to cancel). Needless to say, I read every book under the sun. My favorites were the LL Bean guide to Hiking and Backpacking ( http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=0641668678 ) and the LL Bean Guide to Family Camping ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558218807/104-7908019-0211926?v=glance&n=283155 ). And you'll be surprised that their gear run-down wasn't a big push for LL Bean gear, nor did they always recommend getting new stuff. I was thoroughly impressed with all the full color photos and pics. The Hiking and Backpacking one is invaluable to buy, though, as it has tons of first aid and wilderness survival stuff in case of emergency. In fact, it helps you pack so light you can have everything you need to treat emergencies in a small 5x10" pouch/fanny pack. I would scour the books and then cross-check consumer reports for ratings on the tents and sleeping bags (and even lawn chairs, portable grills and electric coolers...depending on the type of camping you do).

I'll tell you I've done quite a bit of camping as a child and as an adult and I wish I had read those books before hand!

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

squimp
01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
We do a fair bit of camping - mostly car camping at this point with DD, and the deluxe variety (huge tent, chairs, air mattresses and a coleman stove). Our daughter has a total blast - it is one of her favorite things. DH and I were fairly avid backpackers, but have slowed down in our old age. I don't know of any camping or backpacking sites, since we've been doing this for years, but you might stop in at your local REI or EMS and ask around.

redhookmom
01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the information. It did not even occur to me that there would be books. Of course there are books, I am excited. Almost as excited as I was when I found out about BBB - a book that gives information about strollers.
Thanks again - off to check them out.

kboyle
01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
We used to camp pre-kids and have taken Charlie once in his 2.5 years :) DH actually made an impulse buy 2 weeks ago and we are now the proud owners of a 5th wheel camper. We did a walk through last wednesday and it's pretty snazzy! We'll have a queen size bed, a full mini-kitchen (microwave, 3 burner stove, sink, oven & fridge) a full bath, 2 bunks in the back, and a pull out couch! It's not "real" camping, but it'll get us out to a site and give us somewhere to "live" but we'll be out hiking, building fires, etc.

I'm definately going to take a look at those 2 books just to get some hints and tips!

I'm interested in places where people go, we've got no idea where we want to take the kids this year.

Gee, makes me think about my last "impulse buy", a bag of hershey kisses :)

brigmaman
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Dh has been pushing the camping idea for next summer. I think there are a few local places (on Long Island) so I've agreed to give it a chance. I just did a quick search and found this:
http://camping.about.com/cs/tpbooks/tp/campingbooks07.htm?iam=metaresults&terms=family+camping
and this:
http://camping.about.com/

mskitty
01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
My advice is to hit garage sales, thrift stores, etc to start out again. I started buying stuff five years ago when my Girl Scout troop started camping. I generally just buy stuff as I needed it so I didn't have to spend a huge amount to start up. I've found great deals on the old fashioned coleman kettle sets, dutch ovens, and skillets at garage sales. The tents were bought at a Coleman sales rep's fall closeout sale. I buy stuff that is "disposable" at the dollar store as the girls always seem to accidently drop things into the fire. The two burner stove and tailgate grill are awesome for car camping especially when there are open fire burn bans due to weather or large numbers of people. Army surplus type of stores can also have good deals on some of the basics.

One good investment to make is decent sleeping bags and waterproof tents. The parents of my girls were told to buy bags to keep them warm to at least 30 degrees... we've been out several mornings when the temps were just under freezing. STaying dry and warm are very important!

Usually we go camping twice a year at the Girl Scout camps. Warn the kids about the darkness, silence and animal noises if they are more of city kids. My girls were horribly freaked out by screech owls and a coyote howling the first time they heard them as well as how pitch black it was out in the countryside.

For recommendations on gear, check out some issues of the backpacking magazines. They might have associated bulletin boards or recommendations of where to find them. Good luck :)

MsKitty, who loves Acadia National park

bostonsmama
01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Ooo, one more book for the pictures alone, including a great wilderness survival section and gear reviews with pictures of boots, tents, different types of materials for camping clothes and pots/pans...excellent resource:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0756609461/qid=1136428899/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-7908019-0211926?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Once you know where you want to go, check your local library for a hiking or camping guide to that area. For instance, when we wanted to visit Vermont, we got the "Guide to Vermont Hiking and Camping." It's pretty simple. B&N will also have whole sections of "New England Camping and Hiking Trails," "Top Family-friendly Campsites," "Southwest Camping," "US' Most Popular Campsites" etc, and it'll include maps (topography and elevation), directions, GPS coordinates, facilities and phone numbers, whether you need a hiking or camping permit, and who to contact to get it. For instance, all the hiking in N. Vermont for the fall foliage tours recquired a permit from Agency X, which I found out from the state's tourism website.

Unrelated tip: Cast iron skillets are indispensible when camping. It's the only thing that cooks evenly on an open fire without burning/scalding your food. While in the Arizona desert, we took paper-wrapped elk steaks marinated in Montreal Steak Seasoning to preserve freshness and they cooked up great. The raw potatoes wrapped in foil, however, did not cook so well on the bed of coals. We wound up using a pocket knife to cut them into chunks and finished them in the skillet. Yummy! We also hooked up an electric cooler to the Jeep's car battery to keep milk cold for granola in the morning...although we almost couldn't start it in the morning. Also, don't be luered by sleeping bags that zip together. We were young and really in love then-couldn't stand to sleep apart, but I would have been a heck of a lot warmer if we had used them as singletons b/c it got super cold that night! Okay, I'm rambling now.

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

kijip
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
How fun! I used to backpack a fair bit and would like to do some camping with Toby more. He has only been car camping twice. I will have to check out the links that mskitty posted as I let a lot of gear go once I scrapped backpacking in favor of baby.

The double sleeping bags are good for co-sleeping 2 parent families of older toddlers---there is enough room for both parents and the tot in between. Affordable kids sleeping bags are generally high temp rated (45 degrees or whatever) and they are too big for a toddler anyway. We just kept Toby snuggled between us.

My main reccomendation is like everything with parenting---modify whatever you used to do to your kid's limits...and keep it simple. All I have managed is car camping with hot dogs and oatmeal and we have had a lot of fun. And rainboots for your kids even if it is not raining, it could be muddy.

And share your new found wisdom with your fellow parent campers back on BBB!

tiikeri2
01-05-2006, 10:38 AM
We enjoy backpacking and camping with our two little ones (though as others have mentioned, it's modified now to accomodate their needs). You could check out backpacker.com, there's lots of info on campgrounds, trails, gear, etc. There's a "backpacking with kids" forum there too.

Have fun shopping! There's so much cool gear out there!!!

Kay

redhookmom
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks again for all of the great informantion! I have ordered a book and I am going to look into those magazines. I think as a family will be "car campers." We can look forward to doing some backpacking.
I found some sites with equipment lists. I am going to make a dream list and then see what I can find at yard sales etc. This is suppose to be a cheap family vacation, right?
I have already booked a couple of nights at the end of June at a nearby camping area. My husband will be able to come as it is close by and can leave and go to work for a few hours. That way I can get some practice in with an extra set of hands. For the most part it will be just me and the kids as my husband's busy season is the summer.