PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE*** HORRIBLE EYE STYE

chiqanita
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM
DS has had this horrible red bump on his upper right lid for over 2 weeks. It looks so painful, I feel so bad for the little fella. He started antibiotics and eyedrops on Friday. I've tried to use warm compresses since week one....DS who is 16 months has been less than cooperative and I don't blame him. Today the stye looks yellowish on the edge that lies on the row of lashes. Pedi recommends I put some Neosporin on it now. Yeah, right! I don't even think I've gotten a whole eyedrop into his eye!

Have you been through this? How long can this thing last? Will his beautiful curly eyelashes grow back? What do I do when it bursts?

This thing is really freaking me out!

ETA
I'm also worried that his twin will end up with a stye, can I prevent?

***************************UPDATE
The stye is smaller but still there and it looks like there might be another one on the lower lid closer to the corner of his eye. Pedi referring us to an Pediatric Ophthamologist. Appt on the 31st...I guess it isn't urgent to them.

I'm still putting the warm compresses and he's still screaming his little lungs out each time.

I repeat: THIS THING IS REALLY FREAKING ME OUT! When is it going to go away?! I don't want anyone to cut it or slit it or whatever they do to stubborn styes. I'm worried.

marcywench
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't believe that styes are contagious. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. As far as prevention, I'm not sure that there is much that can be done. Little ones stick their hands in their eyes, and I'm not sure that there is much that can be done to prevent. I recall having them a bit as a wee one, and then I had one like you're describing in my twenties.

Warm compresses will help it to at least feel better. It will also help along getting it to drain. When it drains, it will likely have a good bit of pus. You might find him waking up with that eye all crusted over and it will take a warm compress to help get the goo loosened up (again, something I recall from when I was small.) It's icky, but I don't believe you'll see any lasting effects.

The stye I had in my twenties was icky and weeks long. I am happy to report that my eyelashes are all intact and fine. :)

chiqanita
01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for responding.
Just a little while ago, during a bath, the stye started to ooze puss and blood but not much. I dabbed at it with gauze and it stopped. It isn't as big so that's great. Can't wait for the rest of it to ooze out so we can be done with it.

I'm relieved to know that DS's lashes will grow back.

Thanks again!

dr mom
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Styes are not contagious, they occur when a gland becomes plugged and inflamed. Warm compresses will help to soften the crust, and encourage the gland to open and drain.

I would be very cautious about using Neosporin near the eye. Quite a few people are allergic to Neosporin, and it can cause itching and irritation that would make a bad situation worse. You could safely use polysporin or bacitracin, or even just plain vaseline, to keep the skin moist and encourage healing.

I expect his eyelashes will grow back. Glad to hear he's feeling a little better. It's so hard when one of your sweet babies is sick!

PS - Putting eyedrops in a baby - when he has his eyes closed (naptime, nursing, or just quiet time) put the drops in the corner of his eye, on the side with his nose. When he opens his eyes (or if he's sleeping, you can gently elevate the lid a tiny bit) the drops will go right in. MUCH easier than trying to put drops in the eye of a screaming wiggling child who will struggle to get away everytime he sees them coming.

newnana
01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
thanks so much on the advice for giving the eye drops!! Thankfully that's not something we've had to do yet, but it's a great nugget to hang on to for future use!