PDA

View Full Version : Way OT--How to transport a Car?

lisaCO
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I figure that someone here will know the answer, so I'm starting my search here first! My mom has bought a new car, and I want to buy her old one. Now I just need to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to get it here.

We are 1600 (!) miles away, so driving and picking it up is too much--especially with two little ones in the back seat. DH *could* fly one-way and drive back, but it would be 2-3 days driving alone, and he is not enthusiastic.

To complicate things, we also want to bring some large furniture pieces here (my dad's antique roll-top desk, among others), but our schedule for that is flexible. We would like to get the car ASAP, so my folks can get it out of their garage.

I assume we could have a moving service do it, although there is not enough to fill a truck. Are there any other ways to get a car half-way across country? Has any one out there done this?

jenmcadams
01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
You might try Broadway Express (http://www.broadwayexpress.net/) ...they are a hauling company...you load and unload (or pay someone else to do it) and you can reserve as many linear feet of a truck as you need (I think their minimum is 10' -- and you would probably need that much with a car). You can also have an area built out above the car to move stuff like the furniture (depending on the height of the car/furniture).

They are the only moving company/service that I have ever seen get consistenly good reviews on sites like www.movingscam.com. We went this route with our last cross country move (moved all of our household possessions and moved my husband's truck from CO to FL). We hired movers on the front end to pack and load and then just used day laborors for the unloading.

Otherwise, car moving services alone were going to run us around $800-1000 fifteen months ago (I'm sure with fuel prices, it's worse now).

murpheyblue
01-04-2006, 12:51 PM
You can hire a company to transport a car. I know because my mom sent one to me (3000 miles). I think it was a few hundred dollars. I'm not sure about adding furniture and other items though. I'm not sure if the company she used was locally based or national though I would imagine national since they transport things everywhere. I can try to get the name.

holliam
01-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It's not cheap. We transported our car when we moved from CA to NC and it was probably around $800 or so? I can't remember, but it was under $1k but over $500.

My parents just downsized their house and several of us kids contacted movers, hauling companies, etc. to get estimates on furniture. The costs were outrageous. We finally gave up, and the only thing we are shipping from PA to NC is a grandfather clock, and that alone is $400 and the cheapest we could get!

Holli

WildMax
01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey we did the same but from CA to TX, about $700 for each car...we had two.
I understand the price has increased , a friend is moving from TX to CA and checked prices for one car.

miki
01-04-2006, 01:51 PM
I also shipped my car from CA to NC. It was $700+. I used a moving service that only transports cars. Having the Atlas movers put the car in with our stuff was MUCH more expensive.