PDA

View Full Version : strange fire truck question

bcky2
01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
this year i am having one big birthday party for my 2 boys. they have decided on fire trucks as a theme. i am going to do some fireman hats and maybe do some shirts up for the kids. here is the odd question. my older ds asked if a fire truck could come to our house. i told him no but we might be able to go there and see some. well, i dont think that once all the parents get here with their kids that they will want to pack up the kids again to drive to the fire station. someone said that they thought if you give a donation to the fire department that they may be willing to come by your house for a quick showing, as long as there are no fires going on :) has anyone ever heard of this? i hate to call the fire station and ask in fear of sounding stupid x(

buddyleebaby
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Quoting my dh "As long as they're not busy I don't see why they wouldn't just swing by. But ambulances are much cooler."

FWIW, when I used to teach the engine came to our school every year to inspect and then let the kids climb on their truck, wear their hats, etc. I think you just need to talk to someone nice.

Good luck!

muskiesusan
01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Nick had a fire truck party this past year and when looking for ideas on the web, I found several people mentioning that their fire department would stop by birthday parties as a community outreach type thing. Ours wouldn't, but they did give me a bunch of firetruck baseball type cards and sticker badges for the party! :)

Oh, and I didn't want to sound stupid by calling and asking, so I lucked out with needing to have a new carseat installation checked. Much easier to bring up casually in person. :)

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

kelly ann
01-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Becky-

Don't you live in Chicagoland? If so, check this out:

www.bigredfun.net

bcky2
01-04-2006, 08:09 PM
yes i am but i dont know if i could take the $245 hit, that is alot for us after the cost of the food and other party needs. that is a great idea and i will keep it in mind :)

oh yeah, i would have to pay extra also because i am in rockford and that is outside the 30 mile radius that is free.

deenass
01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
We had a firetruck come to our block party, and my playgroup recently visited the fire station and got a hold tour/demonstration for free.

When my husband was little he had a bday party AT the local firehouse (in Deerfield, IL outside of Chicago).

I'd say call the local firehouse and ask if they could come (barring any emergencies of course!)

kelly ann
01-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Ouch! That is a lot of money. I didn't look at the price - and it only includes 12 kids.

Momof3Labs
01-04-2006, 09:54 PM
My DH is a firefighter, though you are a little far away for him to bring one of the engines!

Some departments will host birthday parties for a modest sum of money; that might be worth looking into. Then the kids would have tons of time to check out and climb on the trucks! Otherwise, it is worth asking if they will come to a birthday party. They are probably more likely to say yes on a weekend (organized training is usually on weekdays), but they may not show up if they end up having a long call that interrupts their day.

Even if the fire truck idea doesn't fly for the party, be sure to stop by the fire station one weekend with the boys - you'll probably get a nice tour and playtime on the engines!

bcky2
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
we thought about that. my dh is going to pop in one night and see what they say. if they cant come by the house we thought that maybe we could all meet at the fire station befor the party for a small tour. it is only 7 kids including our 2 so it wouldnt be alot of us. then everyone can follow us back to the house :)

thanks to everyone, you all have made me feel like this isnt such a weird question after all :)

bostonsmama
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd call the non-emergency line and ask...it's not like they'd remember who you are! Or, you could stop in and ask if they have any fire-safety tips for your house since you've got a housefull of babes, then casually ask if they ever make public appearances at kids' parties? I dunno...when the fire company came out to my house when we struck and burst a gas line, we gave them some homemade chocolate chip cookies and a letter of appreciation and they said to come by the firehouse anytime we wanted to visit and scope out the trucks. It couldn't hurt.

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

Momof3Labs
01-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Don't stop in too late - if they are like DH's department, the guys are getting ready for bed by 8pm (they go to bed early in case they have calls during the night)!

KrisM
01-04-2006, 10:21 PM
My SIL is a preschool teacher and they do a dinner/auction for a fund-raiser each year. One of the auction items last year was a visit from the fire department. I don't think it would a stupid question at all!

jamsmu
01-04-2006, 10:37 PM
A friend of mine did this for their DS. The fire truck came and did a tour, a lesson, etc.

We opted to have the party at the fire station. It was amazing--lots of trucks to tour plus an ambulance that was called away during the party--so cool for the kids. There were plenty of volunteer fire fighters there, we fed them all pizza and cake. And the kids even tried on the kid-sized uniforms--great pics.

The donation amount, in both cases, was up to the parents. They would have done it for free... but you know everyone donates something.

ETA Our fire company explained that they do this all the time--as the township residents "own" the facilities. But even more, it teaches the kids to trust the firepeople -- especially when they do the lessons and the kids interact.

I had to post pics--Notice the sandals? it was a HOT day--about 95 degrees. Carson was so happy to be dressed like a fireman--but so HOT! And you'll notice my BIG belly--this was 6 days before my due date.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jamsmu/100_1351.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jamsmu/100_1354.jpg

ETA again--I forgot!! The FREE party included FREE party favors--stickers and plastic hats--the kind they give out at elementary schools!

kelly ann
01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Oh my goodness, that photo of him dressed up like a firefighter is PRICELESS!

kaylinsmommy2
01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
When I was the director of a day camp, we called the local fire dept and asked for a tour. It was SO fun (just the tour). We did not give a donation - they didn't even ask. We just did the usual school hand prints on butcher paper thank you (but this was for day camp learning tour - not necessarily the same as a party). The kids tried on uniforms, toured the firehouse, and they even let all of the kids hold the hose while they ran water in it! And the paramedic/fireman took one of the leader's EKG or something.

I know it's not the same, but I'm sure it wouldn't be weird to call them and just ask if they make appearences or host parties.
Caroline
"ma meee" to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

linsei
01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
That pic is adorable! What a fun idea!

Linda

http://b2.lilypie.com/xz6em5/.png[/img][/url]

bcky2
01-05-2006, 09:16 AM
thanks for the warning, i would not have thought of that. not a good idea to piss off the local fire dept just in case we need them some time ;)

bcky2
01-05-2006, 09:20 AM
i love the pics!!!

now i am up in the air about which way i would want to do it if i have a choice. at home or the station :)

egfmba
01-05-2006, 11:37 PM
You may also find out if there's a fire museum in your area. The one here allows people to host children's birthday parties. You even get a discount if you're a member of the union (a firefighter). There was an engine cab in the museum for the kids to play in (lights and all) and they could walk around the museum and take a look! It was very affordable (especially since we were members of the union) and the kids had a blast.

eva

egfmba
01-05-2006, 11:37 PM
You may also find out if there's a fire museum in your area. The one here allows people to host children's birthday parties. You even get a discount if you're a member of the union (a firefighter). There was an engine cab in the museum for the kids to play in (lights and all) and they could walk around the museum and take a look! It was very affordable (especially since we were members of the union) and the kids had a blast.

eva