PDA

View Full Version : OT-Any amateur (or professional !) plumbers out there?

trumansmom
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
One of our toilets has lost its 'oomph'. I don't know why, but suddenly we have to flush it several times to get any toilet paper to go down.

Do you snake a toilet? And is this something I could do? One of the rubber ducks is missing, and I've also wondered if this could be the cause. Also, it doesn't seem like the tank empties all the way. Would tightening the chain inside the tank make a difference?

I really don't want to call a plumber, and DH is way more useless at these things than I am. Any advice?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

DebbieJ
01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Is the water in the tank filling all the way? You can adjust the fill height if it's not high enough.

Have you tried plunging it? Maybe that missing duck is the culprit!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

momto2boys
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Here's a link to common toliet problems from DIY Network:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pl_toilets/article/0,2037,DIY_14192_2270876,00.html

There is also a link under plumbing for 'augering' (same as snaking I think). You can rent them at Home Depot but I don't remember the cost.

HTH,
Kathy

trumansmom
01-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Perfect! That's exactly the information I needed! I just didn't have a clue where to look for it. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

Zansu
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
If it is the duck, I don't think the snake will help, and it might make it worse.

A snake works by spinning as it moves forward, so unless you were super duper lucky and somehow managed to snag the duck accidentally with the snake and pull it out, you would actually end up pushing the duck further into the pipe.

Call a drain cleaning service, not a plumber. The snakes they use have cutting/grabbing ends, and they would be able to retrieve the duck.

Once the flush improves, you'll get more water out of the tank. The tank is not emptying b/c there's no where for the water to go b/c the duck (or other mystery obstruction) is preventing the water from flowing freely.

The other thing to try, if you're really adventurous, is to remove the toilet from the floor, and take the duck out yourself. It's probably stuck in the U joint.

PM me if you want more advice. I love plumbing! If I ever decide to change professions, I will become a plumber. :)