PDA

View Full Version : This isn't cute, amazing, or annoying. It's just odd...

smallestangel
01-05-2006, 02:28 PM
My DS very clearly calls me Kathy and DH Bobby, instead of mom & dad. Calling us by first names isn't that weird....Except my name is Amanda and my husband's name is Dave!

He's been doing this for a few weeks now and we have no idea where he got it from! Those aren't our middle names, we don't even know anyone with those names. Crazy,huh? When my mom is babysitting she says he'll ask for "Kathy". She'll ask who is Kathy, and he replies mommie. He'll say "Bobby work.", when he's talking about his dad going to work in the morning. ???

It's funny, but totally random and odd,lol.

Ideas?

Amanda, who needs a head scratching smilie for this one!

trumansmom
01-05-2006, 02:31 PM
No clue, but it made me LOL!

Kids are just weird. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

annasmom
01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Too funny!!! My dd gets the biggest kick out of calling me Eileen, but that is my name!

bcky2
01-05-2006, 02:40 PM
lol, that is sooo funny. when i first started to read it i was thinking in my head about how my older ds calls his dad billy but that is his name. i needed a laugh right now and you gave it to me :)

kristenk
01-05-2006, 02:44 PM
That actually had me LOL (for real!). :)

Do you know anyone named Kathy or Bobby?

The only thing I can think of is that you used the name or something like it and your DS just likes it and associates it with you. I'm totally basing this on the brief period of time when DD would call me, "Honey," if she needed help. I know that I call DH and DD "Honey" sometimes so she just grabbed onto it!

Maybe it's just that your DS thinks that your parents got it wrong when they picked out names and he'll fix it! :)

Corie
01-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I am still laughing as I type this. :)
Your son has a great sense of humor!

jamsmu
01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
No ideas... that's just too funny!!

My DS has taken to calling my DH, whose name is Steve, "my daddy, Steve." As in, "I had pancakes today with my daddy, Steve." I'm wondering who his other daddy is.

Twin Mom
01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the chuckle. My DC sometimes call DH and I by our first names but they are our actual names!

redhookmom
01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi Kathy,
So funnny!!! I love it.

kaylinsmommy2
01-05-2006, 04:25 PM
LOL! At least he'll tell your mom Kathy is his mommie. :) That is really funny!
Caroline
"ma meee" to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

ribbit1019
01-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Too funny! Thanks for that laugh, I needed it today. Maybe some coaching will get him to call you by the right names... That is just so funny, PP is right kids are weird.

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

"I did then what I knew how to do. When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

mommy_someday
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I would say you have an imaginative, creative kiddo on your hands, Kathy....I mean, Amanda! :P Thanks for the laugh!

firstbaby
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
My niece started calling me Jessica (no where near my name) for no reason. She would hear a song sung at my wedding and say "Oh, that's the song from Jessica's wedding". So, she knew I got married but was a little confused ;) She now calls me by my real name :)

My brother also changed his own name in elementary school. The teacher called my mom with a "big" problem - he wasn't turning his homework in. When she went through her papers, though, she had "Brian's" homework. She didn't have any Brians in her class! So we asked my brother and sure enough he gave himself a new name.

Your story has me LOL!

Rachels
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Well, it made water come through my nose, so that's good for something! That is hilarious.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

VClute
01-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I laughed out loud at this one! And you wrote it very well, too!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

mudder17
01-05-2006, 07:21 PM
LOL, that is hilarious! When I first read your first line, I'm thinking, "Aha! I was just coming to ask about this. Kaya insists on calling DH "Paul" when she's calling him, although she'll ask me for "Daddy?" when she wants to know where he is. But otherwise, it's "Paul!" and scary enough, it sounds remarkably like me when I'm trying to get DH's attention from across the house! ;)

Do you have any stories or does your DS watch any TV where the parents are Kathy and Bobby?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

thomma
01-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Ha! :)

Kim
t&e 5/03

marinkitty
01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
That one had me rolling! No ideas for you, but he sure is an original! Gotta love the stuff they come up with.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

crayonblue
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
That is so funny! Lauren calls me Lana sometimes. I've been teaching her our names- first and last. So, it's my fault she calls me Lana! It is kind of funny to hear your 2 year old call you by your first name. And, even funnier to call you by a totally random name!

stcelia
01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Reincarnation ;) Clearly it is proof!

That's pretty funny.

Melanie
01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
LMAO. That's funny.

elliput
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Obviously your names were Kathy and Bobby in a former life. ;-)

My niece went through a stage (when she was about 2.5 or 3) were she insisted that she was from Nova Scotia by pointing it out on a map. She was very consistant even after a week or more of not seeing the map.

Mommy_Again
01-05-2006, 11:11 PM
hilarious. gotta write that one down.

DS calls me Ashley sometimes- I guess he heard DH call me that- although we call each other mom and dad most of the time. So whenever DS can't get my attention, he'll scream out "Ashleeeeey" - so disturbing.

Mommy_Again
01-05-2006, 11:11 PM
hilarious. gotta write that one down.

DS calls me Ashley sometimes- I guess he heard DH call me that- although we call each other mom and dad most of the time. So whenever DS can't get my attention, he'll scream out "Ashleeeeey" - so disturbing.

heidiann
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure where it comes from but it made me laugh like heck. I actually have tears rolling down my cheeks.

heidiann
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure where it comes from but it made me laugh like heck. I actually have tears rolling down my cheeks.

emilys_mom
01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
LOL-- kids are so funny. They just come up with the craziest things. Thanks for a great laugh!

newbelly2002
01-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Oh my. That does need a head scratching smilie.

Dante is pretty good about "mama" but he will occasionally slip and holler out "Babe." Hmmm...wonder where he got that one :)

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod

Toba
01-06-2006, 05:31 AM
I'm thinking legal name changes are in the future for you and your DH! LOL

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

octmom
01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
I love it! I get "Honey" sometimes from DS, but not Kathy. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

smallestangel
01-06-2006, 09:22 AM
LOL!

Thanks guys. Your replies made me laugh too. :)

It's so funny that some of you mentioned past lives. That's what my mom said (she was joking....I think). Her theory is that in his past life Kathy & Bobby were his parents.

All he watches is some Sesame Street, The Wiggles, Nanalan, and Signing Times. No Kathy or Bobby that I know of in that mix. None of the books we read to him have those names either.

It's the total and complete randomness of it that makes it so darn funny,lol. :)

He did it during dinner last night, telling me "Kathy. More reds." That's what he calls the freeze dried strawberries he was having for dessert. Dave told him momma's name is Amanda not Kathy. I always say that Jacob gives good face. And he gave DH a look that said, "Look buddy, I know what her name is, but I'll call her whatever I want."

Amanda :)

TraciG
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I am the only one here that feels differently, If it was my daughter calling me & my husband another name I would be annoyed by it but that's just me !

Sydney does call her father by his name if she can't get his attention, I think that's cute !

TraciG
01-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I am the only one here that feels differently, If it was my daughter calling me & my husband another name I would be annoyed by it but that's just me !

Sydney does call her father by his name if she can't get his attention, I think that's cute !

kimbe
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
LOL! Thanks for the smile!

suzska
01-09-2006, 12:37 AM
>My brother also changed his own name in elementary school.
>The teacher called my mom with a "big" problem - he wasn't
>turning his homework in. When she went through her papers,
>though, she had "Brian's" homework. She didn't have any
>Brians in her class! So we asked my brother and sure enough
>he gave himself a new name.
>
>Your story has me LOL!

This reminds me of a story about my cousin. He apparently did the same thing when he was around 8. A boy came to the door asking if David could come out and play. My aunt was very confused because there was no David. My cousin's name was Karl. But apparently he told everyone at school that his name was David. I think he eventually changed his name legally to David. And that's what he goes by ~30 years later.

My DD Alina (who will be 2 in March) calls herself Anna. She just dropped the middle syllable. We find ourselves calling her Anna half the time, too. I think it's cute. And Anna was our second choice girl's name when we were picking out names for DS (before we knew whether it was a boy or a girl).