PDA

View Full Version : Could really use some advice re: sleep (Long)

SweetTooth
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
DS is 15 months & we are going through some sleep difficulties & could really use some advice. DS has always needed a lot of rocking, etc. to get to sleep & would wake frequently throughout the night. It was fine with us until it was clear that he was becoming sleep-deprived. That prompted us to do a “modified� CIO around 9-10 months of age. It was difficult, but worked rather quickly & effectively. He fell asleep easily on his own & most importantly, he was a much more well-rested & happy baby. Soon after his 1st birthday, he needed rocking/soothing again & DH & I did what he needed. He most likely was going through separation anxiety, huge developmental spurts, and/or teething. It was also around the time that he switched from 2 naps to 1 nap. Fast forward a few months & we are now having sleep difficulties again. He needs to be rocked to sleep & it can take a while. We certainly don’t mind doing that, except now he sometimes won’t settle down & will squirm & arch in frustration. Also, he is waking up every 1-3 hours, which ends up being 3-8 times a night. It can take a couple of minutes to soothe him back to sleep, but sometimes up to 2 hours. Needless to say, no one in our home is getting good sleep, especially DS. He is showing signs of sleep deprivation again.

DH & I tried CIO the past couple of nights, but it is not working like it did the first time. I know that is expected since he is older and different now, but it just doesn’t feel like it’s going to work this time. Can’t put my finger on it. It just doesn’t feel right & is just so upsetting for all 3 of us, way more than it was the 1st time. I’ve read many old threads on sleep & the pros/cons of CIO. Among other things, I am worried about the link between crying & anxiety and how setbacks require re-doing it.

I’m not necessarily looking for a debate on whether or not to do CIO. We don’t want to do CIO unless we’ve tried other options and fail. But I don’t know what those other options are and am concerned that they will take forever or just won’t work for him. I don’t mind a plan that takes a long time if I can see the light at the end. I am getting Pantley’s No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers book tonight, but was hoping to garner some input from you very wise mamas.

Thoughts on the No-Cry book? Strategies that have worked for you? Since CIO worked once for us, should we try it again? Are there other possible reasons for his current sleep difficulties? We had a busy holiday season, but this started before then & we've been back on our routines for a while now. We’ve tried Motrin in case he’s teething & he doesn’t have reflux, an ear infection or other discomfort, from what we can tell.

Thanks for reading & for any advice you have to share.