PDA

View Full Version : resources for parenting education?

knaidel
01-06-2006, 10:29 AM
The Yahoo Group about spanking thread reminded me that I wanted to ask this:
Does anyone know about any resources where my husband and I might find a parenting skills class? We live in Chicago, so I figure there must be something around. I've checked in Chicago Parent, but the only thing that I've seen there are organizations that give classes and workshops but you have to get together a group of people who are interested, and I don't really know enough people to do that. I've also checked with some local AP groups, and with some of the the local synagogues/churches.

holliam
01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Check your community's recreation department classes or community college. Both usually have them. Also, look into your county's family services programs.

Our local AP group isn't really classes but each month we try to discuss different topics. For a while we had a lot of young babies and topics were more on breastfeeding, sleeping, etc. Now we have a lot more toddlers so discussions are more about gentle discipline, etc.

Holli

lizamann
01-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Rachel, I haven't seen anything like you describe either. Let us know if you find anything. I imagine that courses like this would vary widely due to differences in philosophy. I've heard of churches doing things like this, but I don't know anyone who's taken one.

ellies mom
01-06-2006, 01:10 PM
This website offers classes but I didn't check out where they are located. She (Jane Nelsen) writes the Positive Discipline books. She isn't as AP as I would like but her ideas are pretty good.

http://www.positivediscipline.com/

purpleeyes
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Another option is to go through your local county government department of child and families. A lot of people think that these services are just for people on welfare with children in foster care, etc. But they can really offer a myriad of options for what different people need.
For example, our county offers a family group program called the "nuturing parenting program" that teachs parents about the developmental needs of children, how to build positive relationships with children and alternative discipline strategies to hitting, etc.

HTH and good luck!

Beth

schums
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Our local library offers parenting seminars. They are divided up by age (like 0-2, 2-5, elem. school, etc.). I think the series is called Love and Logic. It seems to be VERY popular (hard to get a space), but I haven't been so I couldn't tell you how good it really is. Just another resource for you to look into.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

tiapam
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Rachel-

This might have what you are looking for:

http://www.pacesmoms.com/region_4.html

I don't have any experience with it.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

american_mama
01-08-2006, 11:33 PM
I found and took a class through my local Children, Youth and Family Services agency. That's a national non-profit, so look under that name in your area too. You might also try Catholic Charities. Also call your local United Way and ask for the local information and referral number (sometimes called I and R... United Way might run it or else they'll know who does) and ask there.

In my area, there are also classes run by Cooperative Extension and a local preschool (one with a private school attached). I've also heard of classes through churches.

Also, if you find a class that is for BOTH the general public and people mandated by the courts to be there, don't rule it out. That's how my class was. While that was not my ideal environment for a parenting class, it wasn't bad and only two of the five families in our class were there b/c of the courts. I also talked to the instructor beforehand and explained what I was looking for, and she told me to contact her the week before the class started so she could tell me if this group was a good one for me (presumably b/c the number of mandated attendees varies by class).

Taking a parenting class has been a good thing for me and my husband. It was a great thing for my sister and her husband. Good for you for seeking one out!