PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE* Kitchen Newbie, Need Direction! *Long*

The Review Mommy
01-06-2006, 06:45 PM
ETA: Just wanted to give you a quick update. :)

So far we got the microplane (very cool), Alton Brown books (must read), and a few fun Le Creuset items. :P He He He....A 5.5 round dutch oven *AND* an oval. Cleaner and a few silicone utensils. Oh, and the "Larissa" Kettle! That's what I've been calling it anyways. Thanks! ;) I just got my W Sonoma catalogue in the mail and will be going this weekend to do some testing of some of the products and to get some advice from the employees there. We will be going to our local restaurant supply stores for at least the half sheets and will be looking into some everyday classic white dishware. I’m still undecided about the toaster. Right now I'm looking into a saucier and a new stockpot.

Thanks again! :)
Rebekah

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************

I've got Christmas money I'd like to spend in the kitchen and a B-Day coming up! :) I have just started researching in the archives and will be picking up a couple books by Alton Browns soon. Any others I should consider? I have got some great advice all ready from these boards and look forward to expanding my knowledge and skills in this area. So far I will be putting All-Clad SS, silpat, microplane grater, W Sonoma kitchen towels, Kitchen Aid mixer, parchment paper, SS mixing bowls, bar keepers friend, Vita Mix, baking stones, a John Boos cutting board, and a Dyson :) to my lists of gradual things to get.

Most everything I have needs to be replaced because I didn't register for quality items when I got married. I've got a ton of deformed plastic cooking utensils, hanging by a thread Hamilton Beach appliances, and flaky T-fall pots. Help! :( Why didn't my mom help me make better long term choices? Argh! I'm glad to hear some of you like your Henkles (?) cutlery but have found them a bit boring and have been drooling over the look of the new "all stainless" cutlery sets by Calphlon and Kitchen Aid but I'm sure there are better brands out there then these.

My pans and bake ware were the first to go and I replaced them with a Calphalon one infused anodized technique set and the baking sheets with a Costco Kitchen Aid classic set. This was of course before I heard all the talk on these boards about Teflon, and plastics which I’m still not sure if my new pans are entirely safe to use, and now I hear all the talk about All-Clad! Lol :( So, should I just get rid of them (eventually) and start up an “all� All-Clad SS collection or have a mix? Is the SS really great for everything? I find my Calphalon to be pretty high maintenance and wouldn’t mind parting with it at all. In fact it’s a PITA but very pretty.

I guess I need a toaster of some sort the most, whether it’s a combination oven or not I’m not quite sure. It would be good to have that option….but if there aren’t that many long lasting ones I guess I’d rather get just a great toaster. I don’t know what brands to be looking at but MIL has a Kitchen Aid pro line one that I like using and that is the sort of look that I like. What about a Viking or Dualit?

I also am looking at kitchen utensils, and a kettle. I would like to get SS ones (I think) and some really thin spatulas like the Calphalon ones. Anyone have All-Clad? What about those? For Kettles I really liked the look of the Copco Cambridge at BB&B, but not sure on its quality. What about an All-Clad or Calphalon, which brand here?

I will be price hunting at BB&B, LIT, Tuesday Morning, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, Ross, and Home Goods. Am I missing any other “bargain� places to shop? Hmm…I’ll have to check for some restaurant supply stores in my area.

What kind of “fun� kitchen stores do you like to check out? We have a Sur La Table, and a W Sonoma. I think I like their recipe keeper. Anyone have it or a similar one they like?

I value your input and will be keeping an open mind so please advise! :)

Thank You!
Rebekah

cmdunn1972
01-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay, Rebekah, I'll bite. :) (No pun intended. ;) ) I love to cook, but don't have near the energy aymore since DS to do it as much as I like. That said, I have fun in the kitchen and love to try new things. :)

As far as cookbooks go, I find "The Joy of Cooking" to be a marvelous resource. If I want to know if it's better to broil or bake a particular type of fish, it's in there. If I need to know a basic recipe for tzatziki, it's in there. Needless to say, I pull it out often, especially when I want to try to cook something I haven't worked with before. I also have the "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook. It was the first one I owned. I like that it shows photographs of actual techniques being done, though it's not nearly as comprehensive as "Joy of Cooking". I also have several specialty cookbooks that are of interest to me, such as the South Beach Diet cookbooks and a few ethnic ones (American Southwest and Vietnamese).

As far as appliances, I have a Kitchen Aid mixer, which I love. Also, I have a mini-chopper and a Cuisinart 7-cup food processor, both of which I use extensively. A garlic press is nice to have if you cook with garlic. As far as toasters go, we have both kinds, but we use the standard toaster the most. I picked ours based on what was the best buy in "Consumer Reports" magazine at the time.

With utensils, I'm not what you would call a "crunchy" Mom, so I'm not overly concerned about limiting the use of teflon or plastics. We're happy with our non-stick set. I'm told that food cooks better in regular steel or copper appliances, but I think the difference is negligible. (That's just my own opinion as I've not used much other than non-stick since I started cooking for myself.) One thing I do enjoy are those silicon utensils. You've probably seen the spatulas, but I have an Orka oven mitt too. The oven mitt is great since it's dishwasher safe (YAY! :)).

A note on cutlery sets. I'm not sure which brand is best, but keep in mind that there are different grades of stainles steel. If you want stainless that truly won't stain, get the highest grade. It won't necessarily be labeled with the grade on it, so you'll have to ask. Nothing's more frustrating to me than buying a set of stainless steel knives only to find months later that rust stains are creeping onto your set.

HTH!

bostonsmama
01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh my goodness! What a bunch of questions! I guess I'm in the mood for a long response, so here goes. The following info is only my opinion and experience, so take it for what it's worth.

First of all, your list sounds great, but you've got to consider how you use your kitchen and what you like to cook. If you didn't have a microplane before, what do you forsee using it for in the future? Same with the stand mixer (Kitchen Aid), which I do have, but it's not for every cook. I just read an article in Consumer Reports about stand mixers and food processors, and the consensus was to pay only for the features you need-so if you make a lot of heavy bread dough, the KA is perfect for you, but if you just like mixing cake batter, a Sunbeam might be a less expensive alternative...or even a KA hand blender instead of stand mixer, as space could be a concern. I have a Hamilton Beach food processor ($35), and while the feed tunnel is a little smaller than the $300 Cuisinart, I am perfectly happy with it and it's easy to clean & lift in & out of storage.

I have Calphalon nonstick pans and YES, they are fussy! I'd replace them if I had the money w/ some All-Clad or the Costco or Wolfgang Puck/Emeril versions which Consumer Reports so highly rates, so that might be a first nice purchase.

I was NOT impressed with the Calphalon or Kitchen Aid knives at all price points. They feel light, unbalanced and cheap in my hands (I know b/c I got a santoku for Christmas and I hate the feel and performance...it's going back). I have a Chicago Cutlery set, the 5 Star version not made in China, but Ohio, and they are my favorite by far...cheaper than Henckles with similar performance (full tang, riveted, sharpenable).

I just bought a toaster for my mom (Black & Decker, from Target for $30) and it is awesome! You don't need a pricey Delonghi to get good performance. It has 2 position broil and toast, timed bake, thick aluminum broiler tray, bright display/controls, great warranty and attractive/modern. If you want convection, there's a great thread about a Cuisinart (now about $120) toaster oven/broiler. I'd get that if you want high end.

As to the kitchen utensils, I highly recommend OXO/Good Grips or Calphalon nylon heat-safe utensils. We have a mix of both, which are heat-safe to 450-600 degrees, the biggest key! My favorite cooking tools are my nylon coated whisk, heat-safe rubber scraper (scoopula from Williams Sonoma, although I hate the wooden handle and like my plastic handle ones better so they're d/w safe), Kitchen Aid rubber mini-mit, OXO collection 2-way micro grater, OXO pounder, WS s/s measuring cups, WSonoma wire whisk and Cuispro nylon headed tongs-all pictured below. A note about OXO...I am seriously in love w/ that company. If anything rusts, breaks (even if it's your fault) or doesn't perform, they will immediately FedEx you a new tool/untensil w/out question!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31579.jpg

I got a Copco tea kettle for Christmas and I returned it. Junk! You can't leave any water in it after use (or it will rust!) and it's fussy to clean (no dishwasher) and I burned myself through a poorly designed steam-escape spout. I got the glass whistling tea kettle from BB&B for $8.00 and I'm *in LOVE* with it. It's d/w safe, you can leave water in it for weeks and it won't rust, chip or discolor, and it's nice to know exactly how much water is in there since we drink tea multiple times a day.

I also love my flexible chopping mats...they have really weathered my very-sharp knives, and are D/w safe for sanitizing. My Black & Decker glass blender is fantastic, and the customer service is wonderful (got new parts shipped overnight just for calling). I use it all the time, from mixed drinks to pureeing delicate soups or making homemade salsa.

I guess my point is that while I've acquired a lot of nice things over the past 5-1/2 years, there are still plenty of things that aren't top of the line that work just fine. I spent the big bucks on the stuff that counts (for me): cookware, cutlery, and select kitchen gadgets. I still wish I had nicer bakeware, but all in good time. My crappy Ecko and Airbake will have to do until then. But it's a good idea to check out a restaurant supply store (that what my FIL did and I drool over his baking pans). Oh, and if you get the silpat, you prob won't need the parchment and vice a versa (we use the latter). I also recommend against nonstick bakeware. It just doesn't last as long as the stuff you can scrub w/ steel wool! Also, I'm not feeling the love on the Williams Sonoma towels. I like their apron and oven mitts, but not the towels. Costco have some GREAT microfiber towels that I use for everything from dusting furniture to cleaning fruit or countertops. I also have their fancy patterned dish towels and LOVE them, too (8-pack for $12). They've held up to hand-drying our Calphalon pots and special crystal, cleaning windows, wiping dirty hands, and sopping up spilt milk.

I hope I wasn't too didactic. I just know that every time I replace a kitchen gadget this late in the game (I've been cooking for a long time), it has a steep learning curve as I get used to new appliances and tools. Frankly, it seems I cooked a lot better when I had my old, ghetto range than w/ my flashy 5-burner new range....and when I got the silicone bakeware to replace my old muffin cups and loaf pan, everything seemed to cook way too fast. Life's lessons, I guess.

HTH.

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

cmdunn1972
01-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Larissa, would you happen to have either a pic or a link for the BB&B tea kettle you have? I can't stand my Copco and am looking for a suitable replacement.

TIA!

The Review Mommy
01-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm *LOVING* these responses! :) The pic of your gadgets is too funny, lol! You should see mine! He He He.

I will be checking the thread this weekend when I can, weekends are crazy around here, so the next time I post will probably be on Monday.

I appreciate everyone’s opinions! :)

Great Stuff!
Rebekah

barbarhow
01-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Brief and to the point....
Cookbooks
The Joy of Cooking-use it as a reference as although many of their recipe "styles" are outdated their basics are invaluable.

The Joy of Sex-in my opinion that should go next to every JoC in every modern kitchen. (Kidding or not-you decide ;-) )

The Magnolia Bakery-a bible for cakes and frostings

The New Basics Cookbook-Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins-These are the two women who started the Silver Palate-their 2 Silver Palate cookbooks are great, too but I prefer this one.

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking-Marcella Hazan-the bible of italian cooking. All my sauces come from here.

Keep Epicurious.com on your favorite list and you should be all set.

Wusthof Knives-the classic line. Worth the money. Never, ever put them in the dishwasher and they will last a lifetime.

That's it for now. Have fun. I wish I could shop with you. I have acquired a very well equipped kitchen over the years as DH and I are passionate about cooking but oh how fun it would be to do it all in one fell swoop.
FWIW-Williams Sonoma will have the highest prices of anywhere-shop around.

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Saartje
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
>I appreciate everyone’s opinions regarding this so don't be
>afraid to express your views, let’s just remember to be
>civil to one another. :)

Where'd this comment come from? It doesn't seem like a topic likely to attract controversy, and I haven't seen anyone bordering on not being civil so far.

Sorry, thought this thread might be worth checking out, but I'm *really* wondering why this comment was needed.

The Review Mommy
01-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Maybe I should have added a J/K after it? That was what I meant. :) I know we are all civil here.

Sorry, you’re right; I can see how that came across to you. I'll change it. :)
Rebekah

barbarhow
01-06-2006, 09:21 PM
What's a J/K?

kijip
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
>Where'd this comment come from? It doesn't seem like a topic
>likely to attract controversy, and I haven't seen anyone
>bordering on not being civil so far.
>
>Sorry, thought this thread might be worth checking out, but
>I'm *really* wondering why this comment was needed.

Oh I am sure there are some people somewhere who can go to blows over KitchenAid vs OKO kitchen scissors, just not anyone I have met yet!:P Imagine the debates "The handle of this can opener is SAFER than that one!".

The Review Mommy
01-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Just Kidding, joking around. Ha Ha Ha :)

swampus
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
oooooooh.... I love the backsplash! We're getting ready to do ours and I want a similar look... with some neutral green thrown in (I want to paint the very little wall space we have a deen evergreen color). Yours is gorgeous!

bostonsmama
01-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Here's a link and an actual picture on my stove (right before it boiled). It's called the OneAll from Medelco.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31580.jpg

ETC grammar: The cool thing is that it both whistles AND you can see when it starts to boil, plus it's easy to clean, attractive, and I don't burn my hands when I go to pour (you can even tilt it to the side like waiters at a restaurant w/out spills). I got it for under $8.00 at Bed, Bath & Beyond (b&m), but I didn't see it on the website. So here's the closest link I found to the exact kettle from Medelco.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/jump.jsp?itemID=31600&itemType=PRODUCT&searchid=inceptor

Larissa

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

Saccade
01-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Wow, I heartily second all of these. Barb, we must be kitchen clones.

Here's my free advice, from about 20 years of trial and error, worth what you paid for it :). Since I have a stomach bug, I have lots of time to respond today!

Books: I also use The New Basics as a primary cookbook and have for years. If you bake (sounds like you are planning to), I would add The Tassajara Bread Book, Baking with Julia, and perhaps some of Rose Levy Birnbaum's books if you like (some folks hate her, but I like learning new techniques from her since she gives many details). The Greens cookbook is fabulous -- not just for vegetarians. The Hazan book I second. What things do you like to cook?

Yes, Epicurious is key; if you are a foodie in general check out chowhound.com.

Re. your list, IMHO:
-- Yes, a microplane is totally worth it. You won't know how you did without it. Quite inexpensive.
-- Baking stones are good for pizza or certain crusty breads but I wouldn't bother otherwise, since they are a pain to take in and out of the oven (you don't want to just leave them in there when making other things as it will change the performance of your oven).
-- The Vita-Mix is fun for grinding your own flours and making nut butters, but serious overkill for most blending. Be aware that if you make juice in it, it will be pulpy and very unlike what you make think of as juice (more of a very thin puree). If you want apple juice or carrot juice like you would buy at the store, you want a dedicated juicer instead.
-- I use parchment for many things in the kitchen (including makeshift piping bags). Get it for sure. Try one Silpat (borrow) to see what you think before committing -- only important if you do a lot of baking of delicate or sticky things.

Like Barb, I find Wusthof to be great too -- but try the different lines out in person to see which one feels and balances best in YOUR hand. Ceramic knives were all the rage a year or two ago but people seem to be souring on them. I never tried them.

For pots and pans, I like a mix of SS All-Clad, cast iron (both bare and enameled), one nonstick for omelets, and specialty pans as I need them (e.g. a copper saucier and a blue steel crepe pan). Pro chefs get lightweight aluminum pans, use them up, and toss them. I found Calphalon to be a total rip-off and anything but non-stick. It's a personal choice. I would say try one piece of each type at a time even though the sets seem to be a better value -- i.e. try a SS clad saucepan, a Le Creuset or Staub (or no-name enameled iron) Dutch oven, and a skillet of your choice, then add from there.

For baking sheets hit a restaurant supply store and get a bunch of half sheets (whole may be too large for your oven). Sturdy and can take a licking. No Teflon -- it gets gummy and gross and flakes off over time.

Toaster ovens: You may want convection if your oven doesn't have it. I can't recommend a specific brand or model, but I had very bad luck with a pricey DeLonghi that I got as a gift.

Conventional toasters: Dualits have many (possibly endearing) ideosyncracies but have their adherents. May be worth it if you make lots of grilled items or if you LOVE your toast like an Englishman does. Make sure you read many reviews before you blow the serious cash on one.

Utensils: Again, avoid sets and buy individual pieces as you need them. A mix of wood, bamboo, stainless steel, and silicone will see you through most things. Going to the utensils section of W-S is a nice way to play with the different items (but you may want to buy elsewhere, like at a restaurant supply store).

Kettles: I recommend a standalone electric kettle so you don't tie up a burner. They work faster and conserve energy also. The UK brands are generally the best here (not surprisingly, given the whole tea thing ;) ). I like Russell Hobbs if you can find it on sale. As Larissa notes, the Copco ones burn people with great regularity.

Like Colleen, I have a Cusinart 11-cup (another gift) that's 15 years old and going strong. I finally replaced the bowl cover this year because it was warped and leaky.

Like other posters, I also have a KitchenAid. Pretty, but may be overkill unless you bake a lot. Make sure you get an appropriate wattage for your intended use. Some Really Serious Bakers prefer a stand mixer where the beater is stationary and the bowl orbits, by the way (several brands exist but I don't have experience with them).

Random other advice:

Mandolines are generally disappointing unless you're doing TONS of prep and can be dangerous, and the French ones (though I got one as a gift) are overpriced -- get a Benriner if you're tempted.

Silicon pot holders (NOT the Orka -- that's great -- but the little squares) don't work for me. Washable suede putholders work well and last for years.

>Brief and to the point....

>That's it for now. Have fun. I wish I could shop with you. I
>have acquired a very well equipped kitchen over the years as
>DH and I are passionate about cooking but oh how fun it would
>be to do it all in one fell swoop.
>FWIW-Williams Sonoma will have the highest prices of
>anywhere-shop around.
>
>Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
>and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

DS #1, 7/13/05
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

Join us in the BBB Knit and Crochet Club:
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

bostonsmama
01-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Thank you! :) DH and I actually installed it ourselves after we remodeled the kitchen (new cabinets, countertops, appliances, etc). It's a tumbled travertine marble with a beige sanded grout set in a diamond, multi-color pattern. I have pics of our kitchen remodeling and renovations on my personal website if you want to see a bigger view (and what it looked like before). I think the best pics are on the Renovations page (which I'll link to).

http://www.nusz.freehomepage.com/photo6.html

Larissa

-James Baldwin

mskitty
01-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I prefer excellent function over fancy name brands. Buy one or two excellent pieces every year so you don't break the bank. Let me opinionate for a while :)

I think one thing that is invaluble to have is two great sets of mixing bowls. I have a four bowl wood/melmac nonreactive unbreakable set(from Baker's Catalogue). I also have a 6 bowl metal set with the largest being 16" across and 9" deep aka HUGE. I have lots of Pyrex for storing leftovers and small French whites for throwing into the freezer for homemade tv dinners from leftovers. I was fed up with the staining and stinking of plastic.

Find knives that are comfortable for you. We started with a midpriced Henckles set for our wedding. They are good for those pieces you only use occasional like the bread knife, etc. I've upgraded to high end Wustof for those pieces I use *ALL* the time aka paring knives and a small chef's knife for prepping vegtables. The most important things are that they fit your hand, have a full shank and can be sharpened.

I prefer my 13 year old (and good as new) basic Revere silver bottomed kettles for doing vegtables, pasta, etc. They have a heavier bottoms so stuff heats evenly. I do have an assortment of nonstick pans. They have gotten better over the years. My current favorite is my Analon Advanced try me skillet which was a $15 doorbuster at Nebraska Furniture Mart. My older stuff flakes all to heck after 5-7 years so it gets pitched. We generally use a smaller skillet for omelets and a larger high sided pan for one dish meals. I love my Le Creuset roasters for stews, soups, and roasts. Their enameled pottery is awesome too since it cleans up very well. I love my Chicago Metallic jelly roll pan for baking cookies (with or without parchment depending on the cookie). Most of my four rubbermaid tubs worth of cake pans are cheap garage sale finds but I love the old shiny aluminum ones because they bake so well. I also couldn't live without my crockpots. I use my 4 quart at least once a week so I have a hot dinner when I walk in after work (this week was ham & bean soup). I have a 6 quart for doing large roasts and keeping meat hot for the large holiday buffets.

I do have a Kitchenaid. Its nice but I'm not in love with it. It's great for beating up thick, stiff, heavy things. Most days I prefer to pull out my small Black and Decker hand mixer for cake mixes or just use a whisk for brownie batter. We have a cheap basic toaster as it only gets used a couple times of year to make toast or Eggos when the DH gets a craving for them.

I second the restaurant supply houses. Just make sure you are in a real commerical "to the the trade" one. Most of their basics are way cheaper than any of the kitchen stores. My oven proof spatulas are $15 in fancy catalogs and only $7 at Index. They can also special order some stuff in dirt cheap. When I was working at the hotel, we used an induction burner which required special pans to conduct heat. The Marriott approved ones were $150 a piece and I killed one every two months; Index found one that was only $25. Tell them what you are trying to achieve... Just don't ask for name brand stuff.

My frequently used referece cookbooks:
"Joy of Cooking" is good for general reference.
"Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook" -my mom/grandma have 1950 originals from which I learned to cook. I have a reissue new copy myself.
"King Arthur Flour The Baker's Companion" has a wide assortment of recipes, all excellent plus lots of general baking information.
"Farm Journal's Complete Pie Book" from 1965. If its made in a pie crust, its in their 700 recipes. Just use meringue powder ;)
"The Cake Mix Doctor" series is good for filling my cake pans.

I tend to get cookbooks out from the library and read them like novels, just photocopying the few recipes I want to try. If I like the recipe aftr I've tried it, I copy the recipe to a card and put it in the permanent recipe box. I try to keep my cookbooks limited to one shelf on the bookcase so I generally only buy really good ones.

The one cookbook I haven't found dirt cheap at a used book sale that I want is Julia Childs original cooking one from I think the early 1970s. Its very good in breaking down fancy stuff to understandable terms. I just can't justify spending more on a 30 year old used copy than it cost new!!!

MsKitty

Saccade
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
>Just Kidding, joking around. Ha Ha Ha :)

Yes, we all love kidding around here on this board ;)

DS #1, 7/13/05

barbarhow
01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
LOL Saccade-you are too funny!

cmdunn1972
01-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks, Larissa! It looks wonderful. :)

*UPDATE*

I just thought you might want to know that I stopped by BB&B today to check out their tea kettles. They do carry the Medelco glass kettle that you so kindly posted the picture of, and I'm happy to report that I bought it. :)

Now I can junk that old Copco. ;)

Thanks so much for the recommendation!

kedss
01-07-2006, 08:06 AM
I finally learned how to roast a chicken correctly from 'the joy of cooking' and I like Cook's Illustrated magazine. :)

We looove our cast iron pans, we have four of them, and we really love the grill one for roasting vegies in the oven,

Wusthof we love, we just have the tomato knife but it works on a lot of stuff. DH freaks out whenever I use a knife, but of course, he's the one who cuts himself! LOL

sbirmantaz
01-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Do you happen to have a link to the Black & Decker blender? I need a new one and haven't seen very many with good reviews. Thanks!
Sharon
dd #1 09/24/02
dd #2 11/19/03

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi there. We received our blender about 4 years ago as a wedding gift, so I doubt the exact model is still on the market. With that said, I did a search and found some not-so-positive reviews about the updated version of our blender, so I'm remiss to recommend it to you. I did do some research on a popular home/garden board and found the Oster Chrome Beehive Blender to be an excellent choice for the mid-price range...stellar performance, easy 2-speeds (it's really all you need), metal driven blades, glass carafe, and great ice-crush performance. The Braun M2050 also received excellent reviews, but is about $20 more. Target has it the cheapest I believe, and both at Target.com and Amazon.com it received wonderful reviews (admid some flukes of course....every company puts out the occassional defective product-look at Britax...who makes the best carseats you can buy, yet they're not past recalls)....it really just depends on how the companies treat the customers when you have problems with their product or recalls. I think Oster is great on that front, and so is Black & Decker all things considered, but it doesn't mean I didn't have to replace a cracked base, rubber O-ring, and blades.

ETC typos. Anyways, here's a link:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/601-6787514-0582512?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=&frombrowse=1&alt%5Fview=custReviews&asin=B00006FMT9#R1B4LZY2PY511H

Good luck deciding!
Larissa

-James Baldwin

The Review Mommy
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
>That's it for now. Have fun. I wish I could shop with you. I
>have acquired a very well equipped kitchen over the years as
>DH and I are passionate about cooking but oh how fun it would
>be to do it all in one fell swoop.

That would be so fun! :) But I do feel like we have come close to it.

Wow! You guys have been so sweet! ;) Thank you for replying so generously! DH and I just couldn't believe it! :D We will be following many of your advice.

My grandmother died the week I was born and left me all her recipes and cookbooks. I'm told she was an outstanding cook and that I'm the only one in the family who’s been able to come close to her cooking, despite growing up in a cereal and mac and cheese home. :) I've always felt so "alone" when ever I pulled one of her books or recipes out, because I had to figure things out for myself. If she had been here, for even just a few years, I would have had some memories and some knowledge and foresight into her world of cooking and now that I have a family of my own I'd like to give my children the chance of being close to their Great Grandmother while they enjoy cooking her recipes.

I feel like I've received the "expert" advice that I had been craving for, for such a long time and feel empowered and armed with your advice to venture forth. :) Yahoo! Everyone brought up some great points and such wonderful advice. This was the direction I needed, so thank you. And please don’t think of me as a brand snob or anything, I just wanted something I wouldn't have to replace soon and I wasn't sure what was out there, KWIM? :) So I really appreciated your recommendations here.

Larissa-thank you for your pics, sometimes they can say a thousand words! ;) I'm now fighting the urge to send you kitchen pics of mine and asking for design help. He He He....

Thanks Again!
Rebekah

tiapam
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
We love our Wusthof Classic knives. A couple of other things I really like:

Le Creuset Whistling Tea Kettle
http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/products/guide.php?category_id=126
I really think a whistler is better for safety.

Calphalon's 9x13 Brownie Pan
http://calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/products/productGroup.jhtml?catId=CLCat100109
We have used this for everything except brownies! It is a great size (not too big) and a little heavier than other pans like it.

Kitchenaid Hand Mixer
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=HAND%20MIXERS&categoryId=217&productId=408
It's very basic but does a great job.

I have *not* been very happy with our Cuisinart Classic Style toaster.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

Saccade
01-09-2006, 07:19 PM
>My grandmother died the week I was born and left me all her
>recipes and cookbooks. I'm told she was an outstanding cook
>and that I'm the only one in the family who’s been able to
>come close to her cooking, despite growing up in a cereal and
>mac and cheese home. :) I've always felt so "alone" when ever
>I pulled one of her books or recipes out, because I had to
>figure things out for myself. If she had been here, for even
>just a few years, I would have had some memories and some
>knowledge and foresight into her world of cooking and now that
>I have a family of my own I'd like to give my children the
>chance of being close to their Great Grandmother while they
>enjoy cooking her recipes.
>

What a wonderful legacy! Have fun passing it along to the next generation.

DS #1, 7/13/05

aa2mama
01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Just wanted to chime in and add that I have the Oster beehive blender that Larissa mentioned, and I love it. Works so much better than my old one (can't remember what brand).

Elena
01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
I have both All Clad Stainless Steel and MC2 line. I would recommend MC2 line over SS. The layer of aluminum on MC2 is much thicker, this is what counts for heat conductivity. SS line is 3 ply: stainless, aluminum, stainless, and its aluminum core is very thin. The only advantage of SS is that it's "oficially" the only All Clad line that is dishwasher safe. I put my MC2 pots and pans in dishwasher all the time, and they are completely fine. Plus, you won't be able to stick your 8 quart pot in dishwasher any way. With MC2 you get much better cookware at better price.

The best place to buy All Clad is mail order from their outlet store when they have their twice a year 20% off sale:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/products/index.cfm?VendID=265&AboutVendor=yes

They sell seconds, which look absolutely like first quality pots, I couldn't find any visual defects whatsoever. The only thing is that you are going to get #2 stamped on the back of the handle.

I would call Cookware and More and ask when their next 20% off sale is. Should be in the spring. The last one was in October, I think.

Good luck.

hellosmiletoday
01-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not much of a cook, but can recommend a few things.

Pans -- I have circulon non-stick...and I wish I would have registered for non-teflon pans (not sure what!). Some are all scratched and loose their non-stick...BUT, I hate the all clad -- they seem to heavy for me (I'm 5'1 and a wimp!).

Baking -- I would recommend aluminum. Most of mine are farberware teflon nonstick, and of course they are scratched and rusting. I have two cheap aluminum ones from Micheals and they work great! I recently splurged and got two aluminum ones from Williams Sonoma that I love. They were about $16 a piece...made out of aluminum and not the other non-stick ones they sell). Even though they are alum, these are still dishwasher safe! I like to use them with a silpat.

Blender. Dont get the Cuisinart blender. Mine broke after not much use. I replaced with a kitchenaid one that seems stronger (costco...great deal, like $40).

Other electronics...I really like my rival crockpot, my b&d steamer, kitchenaid hand mixer and cuisenart mini food processer. My husband loves our percolater (cant remember what brand). I have one of those huge kitchenaid mixers that I rarely use, although the two times I used it, it worked great! (It was a gift, but I dont bake much!)

Gadgets...I just got a silicone spatula that I really like. I also recommend getting several sets of measuring spoons and cups. I have 3 of each and you can never have enough. My fav spoons are the cheap plastic ones from pyrex, and fav cups are from will sonoma. I also love my metal mix bowls from williams sonoma (all gifts!).

Cookbooks...bh&g breast cancer edition, southern living cookbook, and crockpot cookbook (from costco)

You can get alot of nice gadgets at tjmaxx or marshalls, or bbb and lnt. I never go to williams sonoma.

Mommy to baby girl 5/04

hellosmiletoday
01-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I want this! It reminds me of laboratory equipment! (Can you tell I miss working)

Mommy to baby girl 5/04

hobey
01-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh boy. I can wax for hours on kitchen stuff but I firmly believe in less is more, only buy it if you will use it, and NEVER buy sets of anything.

Cookbooks
Too many to count but some favorites are The Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon, Marcella Cucina by Marcella Hazan, The Silver Spoon Cookbook (a compendium of Italian food), Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen, The Barefoot Contessa by Ina Garten

Knives
Get the best knife you can afford but is also comfortable for you to use. Many people like Wusthofs and Henckels and they are great knives but when I was shopping, they were too heavy for me. I bought Globals which I love but keep in mind that to sharpen Globals, you either have to be good with a whetstone or send it to a few people in the US who are recommended. No set necessary. An 8" chefs, a paring knife, and a serrated knife are all you really need here. I have a vegetable knife and single edged beveled Santoku as well but then, I have a thing for knives. :) Get thee to Sur La Table and play with their knives to find the best one for you
A collection of cutting boards...I have both plastic for meat and bamboo for other stuff

Pots & Pans
I've got a mix. What I can't live without: 12" All Clad SS Saute Pan, 3 qt All Clad SS Saucier, 8" Nonstick Teflon pan for omelets (I think NS teflon are *disposable* so I don't spend a lot of $$$ with the understanding that I'll be replacing it every 5 years or so), my well seasoned 12" Lodge cast iron skillet, 8-12 quart SS soup pot from the restaurant supply shop for making stock or pasta, a steel wok I picked up in SF's Chinatown which has been well seasoned through use, and a medium Le Creuset oval dutch oven. I've got others which are used on occasion but these are my workhorses.

Appliances
I do have a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer but only get one if you are sure to use it often. I like baking rustic artisanal breads so this is wonderful for that.
I also use my Cuisinart Classic 11 c Food Processor a lot, way more than my blender.
Toasters - I have a retro looking pop up toaster that my mom picked up on clearance from Marshall Fields. Not sure what the brand is but it serves its purpose well. If it dies, I'll probably pick up a Black & Decker something or other. High end isn't really that important to me here.
My Krups espresso maker and Bodum French Press...feeds my coffee addiction
A burr grinder - for said coffee addiction
A blade style coffee grinder, not for the addiction but for spices
I use one of those antique 12 c Pyrex coffeepots that I picked up in an antique shop to boil water
I do have a mandoline which doesn't see a lot of use

Baking
I love my silpats but parchment works just as well
My sheet pans are half or quarter sheets from the restaurant supply store
My 9X13, 8 in square, and NS muffin tin are from Williams Sonoma
I also have a baking stone for the aforementioned bread that is always parked in my oven
A cooling rack which is also oven safe...I use mine both for cooling baked goods and cooking bacon

Utensils
Silicone spatulas! Can't get enough of them
I have a collection of maple and cherry wooden spoons that I've picked up at various art fairs

Other Useful Things
SS measuring cups and spoons
Nesting SS bowls (I picked up a set at Costco)
I love my microplane for citrus zest & hard cheeses
A Soehnle Futura kitchen scale for baking (if you're a nut like me)
Glass pyrex measuring cup
Box grater - I've got a six sided one with a catch plate
OXO veggie peelers & can opener
OXO salad spinner

Whew...that's only a snapshot of what I have in my kitchen.

HTH,

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

bostonsmama
01-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Colleen, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it works out for you. I just put mine in the dishwasher for the first time in a couple weeks and it came out great. I'm just so amazed that there isn't any rust or water lines/marks after all this time.

Glad to help,
Larissa

-James Baldwin

cmdunn1972
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey, Larissa!

I've used it twice already so far, and it works great on our smooth-top range. :) (I love my morning cup of tea, especially during cold and flu season.)

Thanks again for the tip!