PDA

View Full Version : tunafish & pregnancy

KCR4
01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Ladies,
If someone has more current info on this. I must admit, this is my third pregnancy and I've gotten so terribly lazy this time about "checking things out" - I read all available references with my first pregnancy and still felt fairly current with my second. I was under the impression (and have to admit, wasn't even THINKING that much about) tuna sandwich consumption of two per week = fine. I was told by a health-conscious friend that mercury levels are higher than even thought a couple years ago and one sandwich per month should be my target. Good grief. I feel terrible. I take my boys to a local diner once a week - our special outing - and always get the tuna melt! It's the only thing on the menu that always sounds good. I feel so guilty that I'm not "doing things right" this time around. I already goofed by not realizing that Afrin spray use was a no-no (I have had 3 sinus infections during this pg and I'm only 12 weeks along!) Guilt guilt guilt. Always there!

Thank you!
Karen
DS #1 7-01
DS #2 10-03
#3 edd 7-06

wencit
01-06-2006, 09:36 PM
According to the FDA website, they recommend the following:

Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

* Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.

* Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/admehg3.html

As long as you are not loading up on all kinds of fish the rest of the time, I think you should be fine with a once-a-week tuna melt.

mskitty
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I had a good chuckle off of your post. I think all the doctors have different opinions on everything! I interviewed four doctors during my selection process. I think the only thing they agreed on was to take extra folic, a good multivitamin and extra calcium since I have a dairy allergy. My ob said Afrin was okay for limited usage (three days to get over a bug) ie it is better than the class C steriods I used to use for my sinuses. They said two servings a week of fish was highly recommended for getting certain nutrients but said to stay away from the really bad ones(tilefish, etc). Two of these docs were high risk perinatalists so you really aren't out of step.

Saline irrigation really helps a lot with sinus infections and its harmless.

Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy :)

MsKitty