PDA

View Full Version : Good, stylish, quality clothes at a good price...Where do you go?

jerseygirl07067
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Just curious...I'm continuing to overhaul my wardrobe and unfortunately putchased some pieces that now look like crap after just a few washings.

Since we're all in the same boat and are probably tough on our clothes, with babies/kids and all :), where have you found stylish clothes that hold up WELL?

Basic T's from Old Navy have held up great for me, as have their shorts, capris, etc, but their sweaters did not. And forget about Target, everything I buy there looks great initially, but the quality sucks.

I need to check out Ann Taylor Loft, since I remember a post from a while back. Any other ideas? I often find GREAT deals at Marshalls and Ross that are top quality but don't have enough time to sift through all the stuff anymore. (Sammy can barely go anywhere now since she wants to run around everywhere)

I would love a catalogue with cheap, stylish, good quality clothes. Anything exist?

Marcy

kelly ann
01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Garnet Hill has some really nice stuff and I think you can find some great deals in the sale section. I think a lot of ladies on the boards like J.Jill, but I have not tried their stuff out yet.

How about Hanna Andersson? I have gotten clothes from them and I love the quality. By the way, they have a big sale going on right now!

nitaghei
01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Not stylish, but the bulk of my wardrobe (work and casual) is off the sale/overstocks of Talbots, Garnet Hill, LL Bean and Lands End. And Eddie Bauer. All excellent quality. I have some t-shirts from Talbots that are 7 years old, and still in great shape after heavy use. Cannot beat Talbots and LL Bean for quality. Nothing shrinks, nothing fades.

When I was younger and thinner I used to shop off the sale racks at the Gap. Too trendy and young for me now - but I always thought the quality was excellent. I've had extremely bad luck at Old Navy and will not go there now.

Oh, not a catalog, and I can't vouch for the quality, but if you have a store nearby, H&M is supposed to be very trendy and inexpensive. I got one shirt for DS there, and I've been very pleased - nice and thick and soft.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

elliput
01-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I seem to have really great luck hitting sales at JCPenney, and end up with some good quality stuff. I have some slacks purchased for work 2.5 years ago, which I wear usually once a week, that look like I just got them. Sweaters that are even older that look great. I have found that the trendy clothes usually don't hold up as well as the classic styles.

jbowman
01-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I love the clothes at J. Jill--and often there are good deals/sales. Sign up for their catalogue (you'll get offered deals on shipping/sales, etc). HTH!

kensjen
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I agree with the J Jill suggestion. I have a lot of clothes from there that are several years old, but are in great shape. They have great sales, especially in the store.

Ann Taylor Loft and any of the major dept stores would be my other suggestions. HTH!

floydaloyd
01-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Talbots!!
Yes, you have to buy on sale but I am wearing 10-15 year old sweaters and pants. Don't laugh. A black wool turtleneck is a black wool turtleneck. No pilling or anything.
Also, my father has been wearing the same clothes from LL Bean forever. These show some fade in the dark colors but the material is in great shape.
Not great options if you want trendy clothes, but worth the investment for the basics.
Melissa

MayB
01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
If you check out Ann TaylorLOFT and like it, look for an Ann Taylor Factory store near you. The Factory Store has its own line, which is ok but not the same quality as LOFT or Ann Taylor. However, it also receives clearance items from the regular retail stores. I've purchased skirts and pants for as little as $4.99 and sweaters for as little as $6.99.

cmdunn1972
01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm not as concerned with where I shop as I am with what time of year. Whichever retailer you visit, winter and summer clearance are great times to buy clothes. For the winter clearance, for instance, retailers are still stuck with all the clothes they couldn't sell around Christmas, but they have to get rid of as much as possible before they get the spring/summer stuff in for February, so it's super cheap. You won't get nearly the selection in sizes and styles, though.

I also shop at outlet malls for both DS and me. You've got to be careful of the "Oops" racks, but most of the inventory is overstock.

aliceinwonderland
01-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Target, Zara, H&M, when I lived in Boston Filene's Basement, and most importantly, my little sister's closet (for tops. I do not fit in her size 0 bottoms. Not even one leg I can't fit in there :)

lizajane
01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
i love AT loft. i have gotten some nice things there lately. i was disappointed in one sweater i got recently (pilling) but i think the clothes are really flattering. the sale rack has great deals.

SewSarahSew
01-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes, yes - LL Bean last forever! My dh has *just* given up his vintage long sleeve polo shirts. Many of them he wore in high school, all the rest I remember him wearing in college. He doesn't have any that were purchased since we got married some 7.5 yrs ago! So these shirts are at least 10 yrs old and they are just wearing out now, these few shirts that he wears every week (seriously!).

mum1day
01-08-2006, 03:47 PM
J-Jill is a great place for clothes. Their quality is fantastic and they have a classic look. They are a bit pricey, but their sales are pretty good and you can get great stuff on sale, if you're patient.

kozachka
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I like Ralph Lauren quality. My jeans (bought in Marshalls) have been washed at least weekly during fall/winter/spring season for the last couple years and I still get compliments on them. DH has some polo tops from them that are 7-8 years old and are in a very good condition still.

Not particularly trendy but I've had good luck with Banana Republic for basics bought on sale. And I just bought a sporty jacket, also on sale, from Armani Exchange for $40 to satisfy my trendy urge. The couple pieces that I've got from them few years ago have lasted pretty well. Same with BCBG jeans (bought in Marshalls but available in Nordstrom too) that I wore to death. Also, Bebe has trendy sexy clothes but I would not call them cheap or practical.

ETA: Have you checked Express? I don't like any of their current offerings but it's one of the stores that I consider relatively cheap and trendy.

H&M quality for adults is not as good as for kids in my experience, aka Old Navy. Zara is great, the fastest growing clothing retailer in Europe.

new_mommy25
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Banana Republic and Gap!! I never pay full price. They have awesome sale racks. I don't like Old Navy even though they're the same company. For some reason the clothes don't fit me as well.

MarisaSF
01-09-2006, 03:15 AM
My day uniform:
Top: gap stretch t-shirt. so many fun colors. short and long-sleeve. soft cotton.
Bottom: editor pants from Express (capris for warm weather, pants for not)

I'd say the tops are $10-20
The pants $30-50