PDA

View Full Version : OT: WOW! Larisa- I LOVE your kitchen!

MarisaSF
01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Larissa, I think this deserved its own thread. Thank you for posting your pics in the kitchen thread. My ILs are re-doing their kitchen, and your sense of style is inspiring. Can I ask where you got the travertine?

ps- you and your husband (and kitty) all look so cute and happy! :)

Lovingliv
01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
ohhh, missed this thread Larissa....
nak.... where is it?

Lovingliv
01-07-2006, 09:05 AM
0hhh, that is beautiful! Larissa, how big is your kitchen? May I ask how much the overhaul was? We are wanting to do something like that but don't want to spend $40,000. YOu really did an awesome job!

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey, sorry I missed this thread earlier this morning. I'm running out the door, but I wanted to quickly answer some of the questions.

It's taken quite a few years to put it all together, so I know there's no way we could have funded it all up front. I think it's finally about where we want it, and I'm blown away & flattered that you thought it was so nice. We're pretty average folks, so it took a lot of work and sacrifice to get it to where we wanted it (financially and labor-wise).

There might be more pics of the eat-in kitchen on other pages of my site, so I'll repost the link to the home page:
www.nusz.freehomepage.com (home, renovations, our pics, etc might have more photos, can't remember).

I believe it's about 200 sq ft of kitchen (not including the closet pantry), but I'm not sure b/c when we redid the tile downstairs it was ~250 sq ft for the kitchen, foyer and hall bath.

ETA: the excel file didn't attach...please email me if you'd like more specifics on percentages of where the $ went. Until then, another pic of alternate side of kitchen and the eat-in area not pictured on my website.

Gotta run!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31597.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31582.jpg

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

lisams
01-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I had to go look, and wow is it beautiful!! And Larissa, can I just say that I feel so fortunate that we have you here?! I love reading your reviews and have actually used them for big purchases (Kenmore HE washer & drier is one I can think of!) I always love reading you messages!

Lovingliv
01-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Larissa, that is awesome,,,,It makes me really want to re-do my old ugly 60's original kitchen. Thanks for any info you include....
Piece meal is how we will do it too, but I just hope my tastes change before we can finish it :)

m448
01-07-2006, 03:14 PM
definitely agree - beautiful kitchen and I finally got to see your pic! Definitely a beautiful home not just a house.

psophia17
01-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I had some trouble with your website - it wasn't loading normally - but I managed to look around a bit...and I found out that...

You and I share an anniversary! We're a year off, but DH and I got married in a civil wedding 11/23/01, and we had our church ceremony on May 18, 2002 - exactly a year before you.

It's hard to believe it's almost four years since DH and I went through all of that pre-wedding rigamorole...it seems like only yesterday :)

If only it hadn't snowed...

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I understand the "finishing it all before your tastes change" aspect. I guess that's why I'm glad we staggered it b/c we surely would have made concessions as to quality (on appliances and otherwise) if we had to do it all upfront. I just looked back over the budget and it all worked out to be under $10,000. But I bet if we had contracted the labor for any of it, it would have put us over the $15,000-20,000 mark. We also really waited out the deals on appliances. The over the range microwave was a Home Depot display (without a single scratch on it), the fridge we got with our Sears discount (through our real estate company), and the range was a recent find, with over $300 off plus an additional $100 mail-in rebate from Lowes (BNIB).

I think the best thing about it was that we were able to go up (by taking out the soffet and staggering 30 and 36 inch tall cabinets) and go out by adding on a double floor-to-ceiling pantry. And when we installed the cabinets, we backed them away from the wall so we got an extra inch of counter space all the way around, plus we had the Corian installers draw up the template to have a slightly larger overhang than is standard, which gave me lots more workspace.

It's the kitchen of my dreams, and every bit of not going to the movies or eating out on weekends was worth it. We're certainly greatful for what we have now. Our kitchen is 1/3 our living space downstairs, so I know it was money well-spent.

Anyways, I say go for it!
Larissa

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Actually, I think we share the EXACT same wedding day, as it was 2002 that we got married as well!

Four years for us, too!

(sorry you had trouble w/ the page loading...it does have some ads, but you can "x" them out)

Larissa

-James Baldwin

mommy_someday
01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
WOW! I have to agree. Larissa, your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the tile backsplash, your rug and the light over your sink. You have great taste!

I also peeked at your puppy pics (couldn't resist!) and Boston is adorable! I'll bet he brings you lots of joy. My two are infuriating sometimes (and crazy ALL the time), but it wouldn't be the same without them.

Thanks for sharing your pics! :)

psophia17
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I just double-checked - you've got a typo on your wedding pictures page, it says 2003 for your wedding.

I think it's my piece o'crap PC that's keeping the page from loading right...it did the same thing this time as it did the last, and I x'ed out the ads this time.

Four years sure flew by, huh?

kaylinsmommy2
01-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Not Larissa, but DH and I were discussing remodeling our kitchen. He has some great contacts with lots of businesses in town through his work, and we're able to get a great deal on our materials when we do remodel. We are so lucky that DH's job allows him to network so much - we get discounts on a lot of things because of who he knows. Marisa you live near me, right? PM me if you or your ILs want to go through one of DH's connections.

Larissa, I also like your style in your kitchen. It's so cute. I love the look of your new stove. Is it a Kenmore? Do you like it so far? DH doesn't like the look of stainless steel appliances and I just can't get him to change his mind! Ack.

ETA: BTW, Larissa, you and your DH look so young! :)

Caroline
"ma meee" to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 05:41 PM
>ETA: BTW, Larissa, you and your DH look so young!

Umm, *I* am kinda young...but really it must be all those blurry photos b/c I've got lots of grey hair and dermacreases....and DH has tons of crows feet and wrinkles around the eyes...I can't say we're aging gracefully! But DH will celebrate 31 years next month and I'm in my mid 20s.

ETA: Oh, and I think one of the photos on there I actually was pretty young (the one with me holding the kitty)...I think i was 19 or 20! DH bought the house a while before we got married...so yes, I think I DO look pretty young in that picture.

Larissa

-James Baldwin

Saccade
01-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Silly question, L, but what are dermacreases?

Ya know the saying "Horses sweat, men perspire, ladies glow"? Is it like that? Men wrinkle, ladies dermacrease? ;) Cute!

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm so not a skin-snob, but apparently they are the tiny creases and lines that precede actual wrinkles and deep facial creases in the later years. I think it's probably more of a marketing tool by Estee Lauder, as it was one of those ladies who pointed them out on my forehead. They're trying to market anti-wrinkle potions to younger and younger generations, so instead of freaking us out, they tell us we need to treat our "dermacreases."

Insane, no? But there they are.

Larissa

-James Baldwin

Saccade
01-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Ah, no wonder I'd never heard of them. One certainly learns something new every day! Thanks!

DS #1, 7/13/05
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

Join us in the BBB Knit and Crochet Club:
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

kijip
01-07-2006, 06:46 PM
>I'm so not a skin-snob, but apparently they are the tiny
>creases and lines that precede actual wrinkles and deep facial
>creases in the later years. I think it's probably more of a
>marketing tool by Estee Lauder, as it was one of those ladies
>who pointed them out on my forehead. They're trying to market
>anti-wrinkle potions to younger and younger generations, so
>instead of freaking us out, they tell us we need to treat our
>"dermacreases."

Total marketing ploy it sounds like. I am also in my mid-20s and when the Clinique girl suggested that I must be using some aging stuff (I have pretty smooth and soft skin) I looked at her and said "it is called sunscreen, everyday, since I was in high school". At 25, I feel like I am growing up still with lots left to do, not aging ;).

tarabenet
01-07-2006, 11:12 PM
And I always thought they were evidence that I think, laugh, cry, frown, smile. Instead, they are flaws to be treated? What happened to "character lines"?

Lovingliv
01-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Larissa, I emailed you!

MarisaSF
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Benet--
Mark Twain said, "Wrinkles only indicate where smiles have been."

Okay, that might not be an exact quote. But something like that. :)
There might be a Merely or a Should in there somewhere.

MarisaSF
01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
>It's the kitchen of my dreams, and every bit of not going to
>the movies or eating out on weekends was worth it. We're
>certainly greatful for what we have now. Our kitchen is 1/3
>our living space downstairs, so I know it was money
>well-spent.

Mmmm. That's such a good point! Thanks for sharing!

VClute
01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Larissa, I have often thought we are living parallel lives. DH is in the Army, though, stationed here at Bragg (though currently in Iraq) and he went to HALO school (tunnel here at Bragg and freefalls in Arizona) in 1998. (I can't believe it's been that long!) I know you love VA, but it sure would be nice if your DH could get posted at JSOC at Bragg. I would love to hang out IRL! :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

bostonsmama
01-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey Amy! Were you around when my DH was going to HALO/HAHO school? He just did that in August (Bragg and Yuma). I actually went down with him to Bragg and stayed at the Airborne Inn on base. We even checked out the new Smokey Bones restaurant next to the mall there, where I got a cool pair of Pumas at the Underground. It was really cool to be there. Hey, you never know where we might end up! Actually, since Pete's in Spec Ops, they're always down in Bragg at the wind tunnel, so maybe the next time he goes down there we'll hook up on base!

I'm so sorry you're DH is away from you. My DH is going to Germany tomorrow. I can't wait until he gets back. It stinks when they're gone....I still don't know how to cook for one. Email me if you ever get bored or lonely!

Larissa

-James Baldwin

tarabenet
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
You know, I've never completely trusted anyone "of a certain age" who doesn't have those lines. Even as a kid -- I mean, those were the little old ladies who never ever smiled, KWIM? I'm not jumping for joy over my "dermacreases" and umm, maturity marker hairs? But I have so many other things to spend my time and energy on.

Sorry, sooo not the point of this thread. Forgive me?

hellosmiletoday
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Beautiful Kitchen. Where did you get your rug? Does it have a vinyl backing. I've been looking for something similar forever!

Mommy to baby girl 5/04

bostonsmama
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Yes, it does have a rubber, non-slip backing. That was the deal-maker for me b/c tile can be so slippery AND cold. Plus, it's large so it almost covers the entire area between my work triangle of the sink, dishwasher, and stove. It was around $40 at Bed, Bath & Beyond, less with the coupon. I just looked and it's not listed on their site.

Larissa

-James Baldwin

hellosmiletoday
01-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Hmm...if has a vinyl backing then I can't use it b/c it could change the color of the vinyl below it (we just got new vinyl and I dont want to damage it!). I'm not sure if rubber would do the same. I currently am using a $10 chenile I got a Marshalls a few weeks ago, but I dont think it is going to hold up well in the washing machine, and its not as pretty as yours!. It does slip around alot, and I've been meaning to ask Armstrong if I can use rug pads underneath.

Mommy to baby girl 5/04