PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Sheer curtains?

Globetrotter
01-07-2006, 03:23 AM
I've always suspected that people on the street could see our silouettes through the bedroom blinds when it's dark outside and the lights are on. Today my friend helped me do an elaborate experiment and, sure enough, you can see an outline if we stand up to a few feet away from the window. YIKES.

I was thinking of putting up some sheer white embroidered curtains to help with this (Sheer because I think drapes will be too heavy and white because I have a lot of dark red in the room and I don't want it to get too dark - also remember, I also have white faux wooden blinds and a white cornice above, with green walls), but I'm wondering if white will help block the view? I tried a reddish colored sheer, and that worked out great from a practial POV, but I don't think the color will work with the decor.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Thanks for the input! I decided to go with heavy cotton drapes in a neutral color. I always thought drapes would be really heavy for our bedroom, but I actually LIKE the look. Later on, budget permitting, I will add some pretty sheers so we can pull them back in the day. DH thinks I'm making up the privacy issue so I can buy curtains LOL

Thanks,

Kris

octmom
01-07-2006, 08:10 AM
If you've got faux wooden blinds already, why not just close them at night?

ETA: Sorry, I didn't read closely enough that you've already got the blinds closed and are still having a problem. I agree with Lori that sheers won't help. If turning the blinds the other way doesn't work, I'd probably replace the blinds.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Momof3Labs
01-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Sheers won't help, trust me. Have you tried closing the blinds in the opposite direction? What kind of blinds are they?

Globetrotter
01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
They're faux wood blinds. Actually, I have them closed in the direction that allows the least amount of light. It's more obvious if someone is AT the window, and gets less obvious as you walk away. My friend said you can't tell it's a person unless we move - more like a faint shadow. . AFter about two? feet, you can't see anything.

Maybe I just need to add drapes. I suppose a light colored drape would look okay. We just added these blinds, so I don't want to replace them!

ETA: It's a second story window.

Kris

Saartje
01-07-2006, 12:56 PM
If so little can be seen, why are you worried about it? Is privacy a big issue in your neighborhood, or for you personally? (If so, I understand — I've been in that situation myself.)

Globetrotter
01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
It's the master bedroom, directly facing the street, and a lot of people go for walks in the evening, etc... Also, the houses are fairly close to the pavement (small lots) so it becomes more obvious.

The red sheers worked, but I'm thinking it's because it's a darker color?

Kris