PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Does anyone know what this means?

boogiemom
01-07-2006, 08:40 AM
We got this email from my aunt but haven't been able to talk with anyone yet to know how bad this really is.

-Ava is still in the baby intensive care unit, however, tonight she was
kicking etc
Joe and I got to see her for a minute this morning, while they were
working on her and she looks a lot better tonight. Yvonne looked
better tonight.

Apparently, there was a vein in the water that was really supplying "the
life" for Ava
and when the water got fully ruptured, of course the vein burst and that
is the reason for all the blood and Ava's heart rate etc. went down to
zero Dr. said in all her years of delivering --she never saw anything
like this. If the water would have fully ruptured anywhere else, they
definitely would have lost the baby.

Thanks for the prayers and hope everyone is well in your family.-

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

tarahsolazy
01-07-2006, 09:00 AM
That makes very little sense, honestly. It sounds sort of like the umbilical cord had a velamentous insertion, where it inserts onto the very edge of the placenta, almost on the membranes (bag of waters) instead. That can cause problems with the blood supply when the membranes rupture, causing the baby to be deprived of oxygen and have a low heartrate. It can lead to stillbirth, severe brain or organ damage, or transient loss of oxygen that doesn't harm the baby long term. I hope whomever wrote that email is not the mother of the baby, and if so, she needs to talk to the doctors more to really understand what happened.

boogiemom
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much for responding, Tarah. My mom forwarded that email to me hoping I would know what it meant but I had no clue. It definitely makes much more sense after reading your explanation. The email was written by my aunt who is the grandmother of the baby. The baby's mom, my cousin, is a nurse though, so I would think that there would be a better understanding of this than there seems to be at this point.

Anyway, I very much appreciate your help in figuring this out. Hopefully it will turn out to be just a transient loss of oxygen and everything will be fine.

Thanks, again.