PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendations for Carpet Cleaner

ILoveLT
01-07-2006, 11:57 AM
DD threw up all over the carpet in her room and now her room stinks of vomit despite our wiping down everything. I think we need one of those steam vacs. Which brand and model would you recommend? Would you buy a machine to use in your home or hire someone to come in to clean the carpet? We also have an oriental rug that has some food stains (thanks to our active toddler) that needs to be cleaned.
Thanks.

Rita

jenjenfirenjen
01-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I have a Hoover steam vac that I love (just used it to clean up vomit today.) ETA: It's a Hoover Steam Vac Deluxe Spin Scrub. The model number is F5888-900. It's several years old, however, so there's probably better ones out there by now.

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
We have the same Hoover carpet shampooer/steam cleaner...it's great on pet stains. I use the Hoover steam cleaner liquid in the white jug and have also used the Bissel cleaner in the blue jug, both work great on dried pet urine (which really stinks).

ETA: Ooo, ooo, I just called my mom and she said the stuff she used to use was Basic G by Shaklee cleaners....apparently we used to vomit a lot...and it was the only thing that worked every time, but that was 20+ years ago. I did a google search and apparently it's still made, and surprise, suprise, it's earth friendly!

http://www.shaklee.net/becky/product/BasicG

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

kijip
01-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I have a Kenmore PowerSpin. We have loved it. It gets a lot of use around here due to Toby, the fact that I am a freak about carpeting and that I never seem to take my shoes off in the apt like I should. I use it with Zep.

emilys_mom
01-07-2006, 09:46 PM
We bought a Hoover Steam Vac a few years ago for the dogs, and it has come in really handy for the baby. In fact, now that Emily has been on the floor more and more, we tend to do the whole carpet every other month or so. I just did it today, and I have to tell you I am really grossed out at how much dirt I get after only 2 mos. Are we really that dirty???

ILoveLT
01-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will go to Sears for a Kenmore because it is on sale. What is Zep?

kijip
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Zep is a cleaning solution that you use in the steamer. It costs about $9 for a big jug at places like Home Depot and Sears.

When you go to Sears look to see if they have any open boxes or floor models for sale. The one I have was a floor model and I saved 50%.

darby24
01-08-2006, 03:26 AM
I got one of those new Spotbots recently and have had much success.

Dog messes, kid messes, felt markers on light carpet, orange soda on grey car interior (baked into car from 2 years ago!) and general dirt and grime have all come up clean.

I bought it because it's portable, it's really easy to get out and get something done right away.