PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Ikea twin mattress? How has it held up?

brittone2
01-07-2006, 12:44 PM
We need to replace a twin mattress we have in our spare room (DH slept on it during a recent bout with a stomach virus and said it is *time* to do something LOL). I am thinking of going w/ IKEA because I like that they don't use PBDEs in their mattresses and the prices are reasonable. We're on a bit of a budget with DH in graduate school ;)

I'm wondering how they hold up? We don't have an Ikea nearby but could pick one up on a trip in a few months from now. Do you have foam or an innerspring?

MMEand1
01-07-2006, 01:05 PM
We bought my DS one back in November, right before Thanksgiving. I think we paid right at $90 or $100 for it. It is foam. I though it was pretty comfortable at the store and it has a 25 year warranty, so I thought, why not give it a try. We picked it up in the warehouse and it is rolled up. The little piece of paper that it comes with says that when it is unrolled, it will have an oder, but will not smell after 72-96 hours. It tells you to vacuum it and air it out to help the smell dissapate quicker. Well, here we are over 1 month later and the bed still stinks!! I have aired it out numerous time, vacuumed it, febreezed it, and it still smells. My DS usually ends up sleeping on the floor in the hallway because it makes his whole room stink.

The mattress itself is comfortable, but I would not let anyone sleep on it for a month or so until the smell dies down some. My DS has been slepping on it for the past few nights, so it is getting better, but the smell is still noticable when you walk into his room.

I e-mailed IKEA about it and they just sent me a reply about their return policy and how they don't take used mattresses and stuff. I sent them another e-mail about how I would like them to re-read my e-mail and reply appropriatly to it because they did not even address the smell. I got another e-mail saying that they did not know when it would stop smelling.

Maybe I just got a lemon mattress! If it is in your spare, you would probably be okay if no one is going to sleep on it for a while.

Mariah P.

kijip
01-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I slept on a cheap IKEA mattress for 7 years and it was a great bed for what it was and until its last year it was one of the most comfortable beds I ever slept on. I got sick of having the bed so low to the floor (Ikea low frame and mattress, no foundation/box springs) and it was getting older so we replaced it this year.

nitaghei
01-07-2006, 10:36 PM
You probably did get a lemon. I'd just take it back to the store, if it's still smelling. The stores usually have great CS. I think DS has the same mattress; it was $100 including the base. It had a slight smell with dissapated withint 48 hours or so. And I am extremely sensitive to smells.

It is really comfortable if you like a firm mattress. I'm really tempted to replace our own matteress with the same thing. Of course, he's been using it for only 4 months, so I don't know how it will hold up.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

brittone2
01-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I read something on their website about how the smell should go away within a few days so I would be very sad if it was still smelly a month later! Hopefully you can get some customer service help from them :(

Thanks for sharing the info on them. I'm glad that some people here have had good experiences with theirs. I just *wish* there was one that didn't require a 4 hour drive! I feel like I need to test the mattresses out before buying so online isn't an option. I see road trip to the DC area coming in a few months ;)

I appreciate the help!