PDA

View Full Version : Easy prep, no hassle, indoor picnic ideas

psophia17
01-07-2006, 05:02 PM
The initial plan for DS's 2nd b-day party was oven-fried chicken, but I am not up to facing that much raw chicken these days. The theme has evolved to an indoor January picnic. It's taking place Friday from 4pm (or after work) until whenever our guests want to leave.

So far on the menu, I've got the standard picnic fare:
Green Salad
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Potato Chips
Sandwich supplies
Cake.

I also think I may put some meatballs in the crockpot with tomato sauce, or lil smokies w/ bbq sauce. Ad we'll have cake and ice cream, of course.

What else should I put on the menu that is quick, painless, and won't be too much for a very nauseated person to prep during naptime?

While I'm at it, any ideas on a picnic-themed favor? We'll only have a couple of kids at the party...thanks!

TIA!

ETC: typos, subject, and stuff about favors

MrsZaz
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Pigs in a blanket?

kaylinsmommy2
01-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I was definitely going to suggest lil smokies or the pigs in a blanket or something like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20671,00.html How about jarred salsa or guacamole to go with the chips? Or some sort of iced tea makes it really picnic-y.

For favors, how about a small red/white checkered blanket or cloth for each of the kids to sit on or play with? Or bubbles?

But really, it sounds like you have a lot of food already. Sounds like a fun birthday party for DS!

ETA: there are a whole bunch of no cook recipes on foodtv.com: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_sl_no_cook_menus/0,1972,FOOD_9873,00.html

Caroline
"ma meee" to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

kijip
01-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I second the picnic cloth/blanket suggestion of the previous poster. Since we know you sew you could just hem so leftover fabric on the machine real quick? Toby has loved, and I mean loved spreading out his "picnic blanket" and eating on the floor. That and some bubbles sound perfect. Maybe plastic ants and paper lanterns to play up the picnic theme?

Saartje
01-07-2006, 07:45 PM
For food, I'd suggest Crockpot barbecue. Put a pork roast or a beef roast in the crock pot, pour a bottle of barbecue sauce over it, and leave it alone until it's done. Very minimal work, and minimal handling of raw meat. Particularly with the pork roast, you can pull it apart with forks when it's done, and serve on hamburger buns for a barbecue picnic.

Favors... How about small "picnic" baskets, a handkerchief (picnic blanket) to line it, and a couple of cheapo pieces of play food? Might be good for pretend play.

psophia17
01-07-2006, 08:22 PM
That sounds easier and cheaper than what I planned with the sandwiches - and I'll bet everyone will eat it, too...oh yeah :)

But I'll change the green salad to coleslaw - I like my bbq pork sandwiches with a scoop of coleslaw on them (why didn't I think of that?).

I also really love the picnic basket ideas with play food - and easy to do! Okay - phew - now I don't have to dread this anymore :)

Thanks to everyone for your ideas!

brittone2
01-07-2006, 08:48 PM
I think your menu looks awesome and it sounds like a fun theme :)

I thought I'd mention it just in case but I make a really easy pasta salad that would be pretty toddler-friendly too. Just cook your pasta, drain, let cool. A mix of shapes is fun, tortellini are yummy to add to the mix especially :) Throw in some chopped fresh basil, grape tomatoes (can halve them if you want or leave whole which is much easier LOL), and chunks of diced mozzerella. Toss with some Italian dressing, refrigerate until it is chilled and flavors mesh together. I like to do it the day before if possible.

Tondi G
01-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Another favor idea would be a pail and shovel and maybe some bubbles! Makes me think of picnics at the park or beach... sand play! I bet Target or a party store may have them in now!

For the food you could always just put hotdogs and water in the crock pot and maybe Turkey Chili (could you borrow a 2nd crockpot from someone?) and have fixens for chili dogs or plain hotdogs! shredded cheese, chopped onions, ketchup, mustard, relish!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

jbowman
01-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Petra--

Here's an idea for a sandwich that is easy (and fast) to make:

large loaf of french bread
sliced/shaved turkey
sliced provolone (any cheese will work)
bacon (I use turkey bacon, you can fry ahead of time)
Ranch dressing (I use Marzetti)
lettuce (I use pre-rinsed salad, like Romaine)
sliced tomatoes (when in season)

Cut bread length-wise and hollow out a little (to make room for the fillings--FWIW, Ellie loves eating this discarded bread! :)). Spread both sides with Ranch dressing and layer the rest of the indgredients. Cut into about 8 pieces. It is soooo easy and sooo yummy! :)