PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to remove wallpaper when pregnant?

ErinMC
01-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I did a google search but can't find an answer one way or another. We're starting to think about getting our guest room ready for the upcoming baby, and step 1 is removing the 30-year-old pink floral (yuk) wallpaper. But I want to make sure that pulling down the old wallpaper (and thus releasing the old glue) isn't harmful at all. I'm probably over-reacting, but anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 2004
... and another little one coming in June :-)

newnana
01-07-2006, 08:32 PM
No harm in over-reacting to a potential threat. For the cliche', it's always better to be safe than sorry. Anything I wasn't sure of, DH did :)

I don't know about the glue.

I do know that you shouldn't use any of the stripping chemicals like Strip-Eze. One product that works wonders and smells great is liquid fabric softener. You can use any brand.

Good luck finding out about the glue. I guess you could also search on hanging wallpaper since it's the same glue...

Michelle

DebbieJ
01-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I think your caution is warranted. There may be lead paint under all that wallpaper.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

writermama
01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Ther might also be potentially nasty mildew or mold under the wall paper ... sounds like a good job for somebody else.

Of course, I would look for any excuse to avoid stripping wall paper, the few times I've had to do it were some of the most hated chores of my home improvement life. Bleaugh.

Good luck,
Karen

kboyle
01-07-2006, 09:39 PM
I hope there is no danger, I took down the wallpaper of our bathroom when preggo with DS1, we steamed it down, we didn't use any stripper. So far DS1 is happy & healthy :)

bostonsmama
01-07-2006, 10:13 PM
That would be my only concern (lead), but aren't there quick tests you can do with a sample of the wall paint in an inconspicuous area?

Oh, and I agree with everyone else about stripping wallpaper...I'd pay HUNDREDS of dollars to someone else not to have to do that! When my mom sold her house, we had to strip 5 very large rooms of wallpaper (w/ 9-ft ceilings), and the only thing that helped was an old stash of my mom's miracle cleaner (Basic H, different from the basic G referrenced in the vomit thread). It's non-toxic, biodegradeable, and earth-friendly, so I'd asume it'd be very safe during pregnancy as well...but that's IF you decide to tackle it.

Here's a link:
http://www.shaklee.com/product/00011

Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

nov04
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I agree with pp's, I'd worry about lead, mildew.

ErinMC
01-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I don't think there is lead paint or mildew under the wallpaper, as the previous owners kept the house pristine, and there was no lead paint anywhere else in the house.

Regardless, we decided that DH will be the one to remove the wallpaper (yay!) and DS and I will stay out of the room until it's completely cleared. I like the idea of using the fabric softener, and we'll look into that, as we had already decided we wouldn't be using the harsh chemicals.

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
... and another little one coming in June :-)