PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Odyssey owners, are you happy with your van?

nicoleflynn
01-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I read quite a bit of negative feedback about 2006 Odyssey. What do you think? Did you need to go back to dealer for any repairs/adjustments? We are thinking about it but can't decide. Since it is a new trim, we don't know if it is too risky, especially after reading some of the reviews.

Thanks.

knaidel
01-08-2006, 08:12 AM
okay, I don't own an Odyssey, but I wanted to share this with you from the Oct. 2005 issue of Consume Reports. Basically, they say that don't buy a car in it's first year or first year of a redesign. They give the example of the redesigned Odessey of the 1999 model year. (I think the Odyssey has been around from about '95 maybe?)

"It started off with more problems in its first year and continued to have more problems as it aged. When the 1999 Odyssey was 2 years old, it had 29% more problems than the model year with the next-highest problem rates, the 2000 model. At 5 years old, it still has 20% more problems than the 2000 model."

So from this, you'd probably be better off buying an earlier one.

HTH!

Toba
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure where you read it's a new trim, but the new revamped Odyssey (third generation) came out in 2005 (actually late 2004, but 2005 year model). I have a very late model 2005 (it was actually one of the very last 2005s manufactured) that was born in August 2005 (we took delivery of it in late August), so we have not encountered some of the minor problems that some others with a 2005 have experienced ... namely misaligned glove box, windnoise from the front windshield and grinding brakes. Both the glove box and the wind noise have relatively easy fixes that are covered under warranty (obviously) and Honda has new brake pads that will fix the grinding brake issue in the next week or two (and not everybody has this problem, I especially don't recall any late model 2005s or ANY 2006s that have had it). We have not had ONE problem with it and it still hasn't even gone back to the dealer for it's first maintenance (you don't bring it in, regardless of mileage, until oil life goes below 15% on the van's computer). I belong to Odyclub.com and there are MANY raves on there (in the 05+ Odyssey forum), with a few problems, but by far fewer than other minivans, even ones where the models have been out for several years. Obviously, I'm partial to the Odyssey, but the Sienna is a close competitor.

That said, I highly recommend the Navigation System. As well as saving me (who is horribly directionally challenged) from getting lost more times than I can count in the four months since we've owned it, it has an invaluable back up camera that really is a huge plus with such a large vehicle.

We researched the hell out of minivans (after swearing we would NEVER own anything but an SUV for our family), and I can't tell you how much I believe the Odyssey is the safest thing out there (gotta love the vehicle stability assist, side airbags and three-row side curtain airbags ... all standard with any trim level). And can I tell you how much I am LOVING my heated leather seats this winter (standard on the EX-L and Touring trims)!

I know I sound like a commercial, but it truly is an awesome minivan.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

kelly ann
01-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Hmmmm...I didn't realize that others had these problems. I have the wind noise/whistling in the front windshield and the heated seatback on the passenger side does not work. Also, the passenger front door closes, but only with a big slam and the sliding door sometimes reopens when closing. These are all minor, but I just have not gotten them fixed or called up the dealer.

Maybe I will check out odyclub.com for other info.

How long did it take them to fix the windshield? It drives me bonkers, but I don't want to be without the car for days.

Thanks!

Rachels
01-08-2006, 12:15 PM
We don't have an odyssey (yet-- we might, which is why I'm reading this thread), but we've had windshields replaced in other cars and it only takes about an hour. In really cold weather, you then have to wait a few hours more for the stuff to really dry, but it's no big deal.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

almostamom
01-08-2006, 12:43 PM
We've had our 2005 Odyssey since April. We've even taken it on a few road trips, but we haven't had any problems with it. One time I had trouble getting the automatic sliding door to close, but I'm sure it's because I couldn't figure out what was in the sensor's way.

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

g-mama
01-08-2006, 01:51 PM
We have a 2005 Odyssey that we bought last May and could not be happier with it. I swore I'd never drive a minivan but when we found out we were having a third child, I gave up and gave in to practicality. I can't imagine when I'll go back to an SUV now. Anyway, about the 05 Odyssey in particular, we've had zero problems with it. It's been a fantastic choice for us.

BTW, I saw a minivan recently with the license plate that read "I CAVED" and thought it was hilarious!! I wish I'd thought of it first! :D

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

Toba
01-08-2006, 02:49 PM
It doesn't take long at all ... a few hours at most, and you *should* receive a loaner since it's under warranty, and there's a longtime service bulletin with that particular problem. From what I remember, they remove the risers and replace the stripping.

One other thing, the seatback on the passenger side does NOT work, it's not supposed to. There is a sensor in the passenger seat that turns off the airbags (just in the passenger seat) if a short person or child sits there .... because of where that sensor is located, the back of the front passenger seat doesn't heat.

The sliding door reopening could just mean that there is something on the track that's making it reopen to avoid injury. I would check and make sure the tracks on top and bottom are clear (no pebbles or anything of that sort). I've also heard that they are sensitive when on an incline. If none of that works, then I would take it in to the dealer when you get the windshield fixed.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

kelly ann
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Wow...thanks for all the info!

brittone2
01-08-2006, 04:23 PM
We've been very happy with our 05 EX-L which I think we bought in May of last year? We had to do one dealer adjustment so far but it was handled very quickly. I can't remember what it was for...we got a service bulletin and it was in and out very quickly.

We do get some loud wind noise, but we also have a Yakima roof rack, so that doesn't help either. It hasn't been that big of a deal to us.

www.Odyclub.com is a great resource (learned about it here) and you can get great info on there about how to find the best deals in your area (and find out what other people paid for their Odys). www.Edmunds.com also has great info and there is an Ody message board there too.

I echo that we liked that Honda has all of the great safety features (the vehicle stability assist, side curtain airbags, etc.) on ALL of their models regardless of other features.

KCR4
01-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I posted about this a while back and the carseat tech who helps out on the carseat board provided this link to his research and opinions comparing Ody and Sienna. We found it very helpful. We have a 03 Ody and will "upgrade" to the 06 when our lease is up. We have loved ours!

http://www.epinions.com/content_208641101444

Rachels
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, that's great! Thank you.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

fredsmom
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
The windshield whistle is a known defect on the 2005. Honda has a part developed to fix it. We had it done with our oil change. It was no big deal.

Good Luck,
Kathleen