PDA

View Full Version : In DESPERATE need of sleep help for 18 mo old! Please help!

spanannie
01-08-2006, 01:19 PM
My 18 mo old DD took her naps beautifully until my 3.5yr old DS started winter break from preschool (almost a month ago). I would nurse her and lay her in her crib, or she'd fall asleep in the car, and I would successfully transfer her. We never had any nap problems.

The first day that Zach was home from school (for break), she refused to nap. This has persisted since then. It doesn't matter how long I nurse her, rock her, or lay down with her, it doesn't work. I stand up to lay her down in her crib, and she starts screaming bloody murder. It's gotten so bad now, that she starts screaming when I walk her up the stairs, before even starting to nurse her.

I do let her CIO--as long as it takes for her to fall asleep, which is usually 30-45 min. I have to. She can not not take naps. I have another child to take care of, a house to keep, bills to pay, laundry, etc. She can not stay up all day. ...and besides, she's definitely tired when I go to put her down. So, I thought that the CIO would resolve the problem within days, which it always did for my son.

Things have not gotten better, and it's been almost a month. This is breaking my heart! She is up there screaming right now, and it is killing me inside. I don't know what to do! DS has been back in school for a week, so that should not be a distraction any longer. I don't know when or how she is going to get over this. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas. The pediatrician told me that I'm doing everything that I can. It doesn't seem like enough, since things aren't getting better.

Thanks!

jennifer13
01-08-2006, 01:29 PM
OMG, that sounds awful! I know how much naps are needed for EVERYONE's mental health.

I don't have any bright ideas except that she is now probably over-tired from not napping, which is now making the process even harder. I wonder if an earlier bed time would help so that she is more rested overall. And maybe even an earlier nap time, so that the nap process starts before she's too tired. I'm so sorry you're going through this, just wanted to offer support as another mom with two little ones. It's soooo hard. My 2 year old is in her crib not napping as I write this! Good luck and hang in there.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

spanannie
01-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Thank you for your support! My husband isn't offering much, since he just can't seem to understand how heartbreaking and frustrating it is for me. I really need that time, as does she; she'd be totally miserable without her sleep.

I will try the earlier bedtime, and the earlier nap, too. I am willing to try ANYTHING at this point. She is still up there awake...not screaming right now...but barking like a dog.

AmyZ
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Since your daughter can fall asleep in the car, how about a few lullabye rides just to get her back in the swing of the schedule. I agree that she cannot go without a nap!! Sometimes if my daughter just wouldn't go down, I would toss her into the car and I would get her asleep and transfer. Maybe once your daughter is better rested she will be able to do it herself in the crib again.
I hope it gets better soon!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana May 2/5/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]