PDA

View Full Version : newly fussy 15 month old

mom_hanna
01-08-2006, 09:09 PM
So, here's the problem. DD is 15 months, has always been a low key, happy kid, never been really fussy or prone to tantrums. In this past week, she has become a completely different person! She is constantly wanting to be held, fusses all the time (or so it seems), and is generally only happy in the morning the first hour or two that she is up. After that, it seems that out of nowhere, she will be fine one moment and crying the next and there is nothing we can pinpoint that sets it off.

We think she is teething, as she only has the four front top and bottom teeth and one molar, and her gums seem pretty swollen. However, we have been giving her tylenol, teething tablets, and orajel, and still, tonight she lay on the floor screaming and crying for 20 minutes while we tried to figure out what was wrong. She didn't want to be picked up - we tried that. She calmed down after her bath but we are in need of some serious advice. Thanks.

Jen

trumansmom
01-08-2006, 10:21 PM
If this is completely out of character for her, I would think about calling her ped. If nothing else, s/he may be able to come up with some other ideas about what's going on and coping strategies.

Good luck. Whiny toddlers are soooo challenging.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

holliam
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Our 16-mo daughter was doing pretty much the same thing last week. She is normally the most laid-back, happy girlie. We know she is still teething too (has just 8 teeth so far) but this was beyond her normal teething. We finally brought her to the pediatrician. Turns out she had an ear infection! She had no other symptoms. Once the antibiotics kicked in, she became herself again!

Holli

lilycat88
01-09-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd vote for calling the ped. The first thing that popped into my mind was ear infection. If she is in pain that the tylenol won't control, you can stack tylenol and motrin. We've had to do that several times with ear infections and once recently with pain from a molar coming in. Ask your ped for timing and amounts.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004