PDA

View Full Version : where can i donate an "expensive" and very large teddy bear

urquie
01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
i ordered one online and it's way too big for our house. i got a great deal on it, but it's regular price was $150 so it's very nice quality. it's about 30" tall and at least as wide. i'm trying to think of some charity that would love to have it. maybe a children's hospital or something. too bad it wasn't right before christmas then i could give it to toys for tots. thanks for any ideas.

kedss
01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
maybe a Ronald McDonald's House?
http://www.rmhc.org/rmhc/index/support/donate.html

trumansmom
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
How about a women's shelter? I'm sure the kids who come in with their moms would LOVE it.

And the only, only reason why I wouldn't do a Ronald McDonal House (an incredibly worthy charity) is that they get sooooo much. I have a friend who is the director of one, and she said the amount of toys they recieve is over the top. Of course that could vary from place to place, but RM is an easy charity for corporations to give to. Domestic violence is a touchier, messier topic, and many companies don't want to go there, you know?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

kelly ann
01-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I would lean towards donating it to the pediatric floor of your local hospital. Usually parents don't have time to bring something comforting for their child when they are admitted to the hospital since it takes them by surprise. Last summer when DS was in the hospital, he was given a homemade blanket made out of robot fabric - nothing luxurious, but he still sleeps with it :)

Momof3Labs
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Tough one. Many hospitals don't want stuffed animals because they are hard (or impossible) to disinfect, and day cares may feel the same way. Perhaps look for a local charity auction, since it is new?

ribbit1019
01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I would vote for a women's shelter.

When I went through my stuffed toys after High School I donated 100 plus stuffed animals to a women's shelter in Cinci. My mom knew the director of the shelter though.

I agree with PP, hospital may not be willing to take it because of the disinfecting issue. Easy way to find out is to call. :)

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

"I did then what I knew how to do. When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

Thatchermom
01-10-2006, 07:08 PM
There is something similar to what you describe at our local library. The kids love to curl up on his "lap" and look at books. His name is Dewey and he is a very loved bear!

urquie
01-11-2006, 03:49 AM
thanks for all the great ideas! we have found a good home for the teddy bear. my aunt was over for dinner and i learned that she volunteers at a "school" for children from homeless families (in our county you must have a permanent address to register for regular school). she works with the kindergarteners and she loved the idea of bringing the teddy into her classroom. i can't wait to hear about the smiles it will bring!