PDA

View Full Version : Inside/winter ideas for 2nd birthday?

kristenk
01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I just realized that my DD's birthday is about a month away. That means that we need to send invitations out within the next couple of weeks. That means that we need to figure out what we're actually doing for her party. That means that I've turned into a giant ball of stress b/c I have NO IDEA what we're going to do for her party.

We'll be inviting the 5 kiddos from her playgroup(age range basically 2 - 2.5 years) + their parents, DH's parents and brother, and a few (maybe 6 or so) adult friends of ours. I can't think of any inside activities for the kids to do. We don't have a ton of space, but we could probably clear out a good-sized area in a room that has a tile floor. I just don't know what to do with that space. Play with playdough? For 1.5 hours??? We don't mind hiring someone/something to come over but I don't really know what the kids would like. I feel incompetent. :( I really want DD's birthday to be more than just a normal playgroup session with a few extra grown-ups thrown in, ykwim? Help? Please?

mamaturk
01-09-2006, 11:10 PM
We just had DD's 2nd birthday and hired a clown for the kids. They LOVED it!!!! Actually, almost every one of the adults (50 of them) had so much fun too! We did a Jojo's circus theme and got the clown to go along with that.

mommy_someday
01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Not sure how helpful this will be, but my DS's 1st birthday party is on Wednesday and we're doing a snowman theme. My mom has a lot of snowman ornaments (which I'm going to hang around my dining/living rooms) and I found a lot of cute stuff at www.orientaltrading.com for cheap. I bought some make-a-snowman sticker kits and snowman maracas for the kiddos and bought a snowman foam picture frame craft kit. They come with a magnet for the fridge and I'm printing a pic of DS to go in it. I made my own invitations on photoshop and had them printed like photos at www.snapfish.com. They are basically a photo collage with scattered snowflakes and the invitation text in the middle (hope that makes sense). I'm making a snowman cake from a wedding cake pan set (three round pans, 8-, 10- and 12-inch) and will decorate it with white icing and use candies for the accents (gum drops, licorice, etc.). I'm making sugar cookies that look like snowman faces (just round cookies, iced and decorated with mini candy). I'm putting the cookies, frames, maracas, stickers, etc. in snowman paper bags for each family. I'm also including copies of our family pics taken the day after Christmas. I went to a local party supply outlet by my house and found a TON of winter-themed plates, cups & napkins at 50% off. They had snowman ones, but I picked the snowflakes because they were prettier. It's going to be a really short party (1.5-2 hours MAX) because it'll be close to DS's bedtime, so we're not doing any games. Just cake and presents, if DS is in the mood. Oh, and I'm creating a folder of digital pics on my laptop and will have them scrolling on the screen in my living room during the party.

As far as activities go, if you did a similar theme, you might be able to have the kids make snowflakes out of white paper and safety scissors (depends on the kids - one of my nephews could do this, the other one probably not). They could decorate them with shiny stickers. Or you could make a snowman cake out of cupcakes, frost them before the party starts and then let the kids decorate the cupcakes with candy. Just some thoughts...

Sorry...that was a lot of info. I hope some of it is helpful. If you want to do your invitations like I did mine (saves you from having to write them all out!), let me know. I'd be happy to help. :) Good luck!

ETA pic of invitation and again to fix size...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/31703.jpg

mudder17
01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Adorable! I love the card! I like the snow theme, although I also liked Petra's idea of an indoor picnic! I think I'll file these away for a playgroup b-day party. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

mommy_someday
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Eileen! I wasn't totally thrilled with it - I really liked my original one, but it was square and not compatible with a 5x7 printout. This was my fourth redo and I was just ready to be done with it, iykwim! I have plans to do a simpler one for the thank-you cards with a pic of DS eating his birthday cake. Then I'll just write out the individual thank-you message on the back of the pic. Should be interesting... :)

BTW, I didn't get around to it, but your second pic of Kaya on the beach in that then-and-now thread is absolutely gorgeous. LOVE IT! I agree with the PP who said it should be framed. K is such a beautiful little girl!

kristenk
01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Hmmmmm.... Thanks for the suggestions and offering to help with the invitations! We live in Texas and our weather has been unseasonably warm, so I can't decide if snow would be a really good idea or just seem sort of strange. Now that I think about it, DD really is obsessed with snowmen and the inflatable snowmen that were up for the holidays.

I need to look for a few more ideas for activities (cutting snowflakes is out of our skill range!), but it really could work out. I'll let you know what we decide on, and I might take you up on your invitation assistance offer!

Hope you guys have fun at the party tomorrow, and I really love the invitation!

kristenk
01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Did the 2yos really love the clown? I thought that a clown or someone like that might be scary for little ones. Something new to think about... :)

mamaturk
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
They totally loved the clown!!! The one we hired came with no face makeup on, which he told me he does for younger kids parties. He brought along crafts, balloons, did a magic show and had a cotton candy machine. I was a little shocked by that last one ;) but of course the older kids loved it. The whole thing really was a hit.