PDA

View Full Version : What's onTV that you don't like that "everyone" else loves?

smallestangel
01-10-2006, 06:54 AM
I think I am the only person I know who never watched a single episode of "Friends". I never found any of the clips I saw to be especially funny, and the show just didn't look that good to me. And honestly, I can't *stand* Oprah. I really, really don't see the appeal on that one. :P I've also never seen "Lost", and I am in no hurry to.

DH and I were talking about this last night as I made him watch "Medium" with me,lol.

So, what are some big, hit shows that just never caught on in your house?

Amanda :)

mudder17
01-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Well, I can't say I don't like some of these things because I've never seen some of them, but here are some:

Desperate Housewives
Lost
Amazing Race
(Actually, any of the reality shows)
Oprah (I don't dislike, I just don't watch talk shows usually)
Friends (I saw a couple funny episodes, but as a show it never caught on in our house)

On a related topic, we did get sucked into (which I never thought we would):
South Park
Frasier
Roseanne
Seinfeld (well, I saw a few reruns for a short period of time--it's quite a funny show, but we didn't really have time for it)
6 Feet Under for the first 2 seasons (we got it from Netflix)
24 (So far we've seen the first 3 seasons, also from Netflix)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

g-mama
01-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I never liked Survivor. Watched one episode and although I love reality TV, Survivor was TOO reality for me - LOL!

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

barbarhow
01-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Seinfeld-and I consider myself a New Yorker. I just felt that alot of it was so predictable and therefore not all that funny
Friends. Ugh. stupid.
All Reality TV-don't get it-it's as far from reality as it can be.
The only shows I regularly watch are CSI, Law and Order, Cold Case and Without a Trace. See a trend there?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

kristy
01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
The CSI shows - any version of them. The "detective work" done is so blatantly bogus I can not sit through an entire episode! I really don't watch that much t.v. aside from American Idol, the news and Sell This House.

mudder17
01-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Hee, hee, I actually agree with you about all you said. :) I also watch CSI, Monk, L&O occasionally (there are so many, it would be hard to watch it all), Without a Trace, Cold Case (we watched this until recently when we quit because there were too many bad things happening to little kids and it was getting too depressing--good show, though), and then a bunch of Sci-Fi stuff: Stargate, Dead Zone, Battlestar Gallactica. For comedy, there's Simpsons and Malcom in the Middle and the occasional King of the Hill. We liked the first season of Family Guy, but then Peter got too annoying. ;)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

mommd
01-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Reality TV, in general. I hate those shows!

Come to think of it, the only shows I watch anymore are ER and House. The TV is usually off.

mom_hanna
01-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Desperate Housewives - I don't get what the appeal is.
Friends, Seinfeld, Will and Grace
American Idol - it makes me uncomfortable to see these kids up there getting trashed, even if what they are told is the truth.
Survivor

I tend towards Without a Trace, 24, Lost, Alias. And the Food Network, of course!

jbowman
01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I've never seen any of the CSIs, most of the reality shows (Survivor, etc), Lost, only snippets of Desperate Housewives (DH has watched it occasionally), etc. I've never really followed *any* tv shows. I used to watch Law and Order (orig) reruns on A & E (a long time ago), and love shows like American Justice, news programs, and silly VH1 programming. I just can't commit to a show, LOL!

ETA: add ER, The West Wing, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace, NYPD Blue, The OC, Dawson's Creek...I could go on and on.

I did like the first two seasons of The Apprentice!

MelissaTC
01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Any of the CSIs
West Wing (I really tried but couldn't get into it)
Medium

elliput
01-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Hmm, pretty much anything on the major networks. The only show that I can honestly say I have had to make sure I watched every week while it was in production was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Since moving three years ago, I got digital cable so the TV is usually on Animal Planet, BBC America, a music channel or movie channel. Oh, I did have the Weather Channel on a lot while I was home on maternity leave last year.

holliam
01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Uh, pretty much all of it! The only station I ever liked was The Weather Channel and now without cable I don't have that either.

I'm not a TV gal. If I ever watch anything it's in "drive-by" mode as DH is watching in the family room and I wander in/out to chat with him and will occasionally watch whatever he is, but it's not something I really do.

I'm not a big movie gal either. So, I usually am completely clueless about most pop culture! I usually have no idea who/what/where celebrities are or any of that stuff.

Holli

cmdunn1972
01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I couldn't get into "Desparate Housewives". I tried, but then DH started looking at me as if to say, "Please tell me this is completely fictional." LOL Sometimes he's just so insecure!

Other shows that seem to be hits but aren't on in our house are "ER", "Medium", "CSI", "Prison Break", "Amazing Race", and "Lost". (We used to watch "ER", but feel that it's creative peak was over long ago and is now a train wreck.) We watched "American Idol" for perhaps two seasons, but it wasn't on at all last spring. We don't miss it.

We don't have HBO, so all those shows are out. However, we have been known to rent "Sopranos" and "6 Feet Under" from Blockbuster.

We watch "West Wing", "Law & Order" (all three of them), "24", "Gilmore Girls", "Earl", "The Office", "Apprentice", and "Survivor".

DH and I are "Seinfeld" junkies and still watch the reruns. I watched "Friends" when it was all new shows, but don't watch the syndicated version.

hautemama15
01-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Desperate Housewives, I just cannot get into!! And, anything reality with the exception of Dancing With The Stars. It is the only reality show I can stomach. I have been known to watch the "bad audition" episodes of American Idol, but I feel so sorry for those terrible perfromances I have to trun it off! I don't like talk shows like Oprah either. My DH and I have very similar taste so it makes for easy TV watching when we get the chance. We both watch Lost, Medium, CSI, Bones, House, and How I Met Your Mother. He likes a few I do not, like The Simpsons and Family Guy. I just don't get the appeal at all.

heidiann
01-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I absolutely *hate* reality shows. I don't like desperate housewives,I never really got into Lost. My DH loves seinfield so i've seen a few episodes when hes watching it, I personally think it is soooo not funny. but hey to each his own LOL...
I don't watch tv much either my DH is a "tv nut" so I do see a few shows when I happen to get the chance to sit down.
I do however like - king of queen, and two and a half men.
I turn the tv on as backround noise during the day so I usually put on discovery health channel, I do like to watch ( or should I say, listen as I clean) those shows like bringing home baby, and a baby story.
I also put on food network to see if I can get any cooking tips.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

heatherlynn
01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Sex and the City. I just found it so stupid (sorry if you're a fan!). Most of the reality TV shows, although I love those nanny ones when I get a chance (makes me feel like a better parent!).

Now, it's mostly Weather Channel, News, HGTV. I love Alias although it's not as good as it used to be. It's so hard these days to be able to say I'm going to watch x show on x night at x time. I'm usually taking care of one of the babies or trying to catch up on bills or housework, unfortunately. Maybe I should get Tivo...

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

Piglet
01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I never watched ER, Lost or the West Wing. I watched the first season of the OC and then got sick of it, ditto for Survivor and CSI. I have never watched Desperate Housewives, but not by choice - DH wins on Sunday nights and we watch FOX. I never got into Will and Grace, Raymond, Roseanne amd a few others where the main characters were too annoying!?

buddyleebaby
01-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Honestly, there are a couple af shows I WOULD like tp watch but with a Priest, a lawyer, a cop, a firefighter, and a medic in the family there is always someone complaining about how "fake" something is or how such and such is illegal, or never happens, bla bla bla.
They drive me nuts. It's a freaking tv show, let it be.

babystuffbuff
01-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Seinfeld. Can't stand it.
All "reality" shows, especially Survivor

I watch four shows: ER, The West Wing, Grey's Anatomy, and Desperate Housewives (though if I miss Housewives it isn't the end of the world). DH watches House, and I'll pay attention if I'm in the room. I wish there were more good shows on (though I don't really have extra time for them) and I really miss "Once & Again".

Sarah

"Are these your friends? Where are their clothes?"

bostonsmama
01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
I think you just listed everything I was going to say. Although, I do watch Desperate Housewives on occassion, but you won't see me crying that I missed it. I'm just not "loyal" to any shows now except for Without a Trace.

And I hate any and all reality TV (although I always catch at least one show of the popular ones-like Apprentice, the Bachelor, Biggest Loser, etc) so I can remind myself why I hate the exploitation of people on reality TV.

Never got into any MTV shows either (Road Rules, Real World), nor The O.C.

I'm like Eileen-crime drama and law shows, a little news, and the occassional evening sitcom/drama.
Larissa
***Cheers! Here's to better luck in 2006!***

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."
-James Baldwin

The Review Mommy
01-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Now I feel stupid :) lol! I *love* Friends, and Seinfeld!

DH and I have shows we like to watch together: The Cosby Show, Simpson’s, and King of Queens because DH is a (sexy) UPS driver. :P

These shows give us the creeps: Reality, Romance, Dr. Phill, South Park, and Raymond.

When we had cable I used to like HGTV until I realized that it’s really just a bunch of reruns.

Fun Thread!
Rebekah

momathome
01-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I never got the "Everybody Loves Raymond" phenomenom. Same thing with the Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, Law and Order, and CSI. Whatever, dudes. :)

pittsburghgirl
01-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Never got into Desperate Housewives... watched a few times but it didn't work for me. I have gone back and forth with various longer-term shows (ER, West Wing, L&O) and don't catch any of them regularly these days.

DH and I watch 24 and American Idol together, and he loves Bernie Mac. My TIVO selections are CSI (Las Vegas) and House.

Mostly, we have a lot of football on here. A little college hoops as well, but the end of the football season is always depressing for DH.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

MegND95
01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
We are not reality TV fans here. Don't care for "American Idol" or the like. Not much into "Desperate Housewives" either.

Our current favorite is "The Office." It's hysterical, and we actually watch some episodes over again, we find it that funny. Plus, we became addicted to "Lost" this summer when they released the DVD's, and we've recently become "CSI" fans. I also get a kick out of "Airline" on A&E. I record several other shows, but typically erase them because I'd rather read!

lisaE
01-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I have never watched even one episode of "ER". When I tell people this, they tend to look at me like I just sprouted another head.

crayonblue
01-10-2006, 04:37 PM
West Wing

I really like CSI, Survivor, American Idol and Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Everything else I can live without! :)

RwnMayfair
01-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Seinfeld - I never understood the appeal and still don't. I just don't find it to be an even remotely entertaining show at all.
Many of the "reality shows" (The Bachelor, Apprentice, etc.), though I did get sucked in by Survivor and Amazing Race. :)
24 - I dunno, I've always ended up with it not holding my attention whenever I've been in the same room as my mother and she's watching it.
Lost - I suspect it's partially just because when it came along, there was just no way I could keep up with yet another show and so I never got into it.
Everybody Loves Raymond - gotta say, I don't love Raymond.

I loved Friends and Frasier when they were on, and these days am pretty much just watching Desperate Housewives and Scrubs, as well as Survivor and Amazing Race when they're on. I used to watch ER, but it no longer holds me, and I do like Law & Order SVU and L&O CI, I just don't make any effort to watch them regularly. I can't stand the original L&O with Jerry Orbach's replacement though - he ruined it for me. Otherwise, I used to watch it sometimes as well. I dunno, these days I'm happy with the two to four shows I watch, and on the days when one of them isn't on would almost rather use my time for something besides another show to keep up with.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/0DU8.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/11Vom5/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051122/bQLg.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

mamicka
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Sex and the City

I just don't get the appeal. I kind-of feel icky & depressed after I watch.

Allison

ribbit1019
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
The Bachelor, I hate it and my IRL friends ALL watch it. Roseanne, Lost, Boston Legal, My Name is Earl, any of those America's Home video type shows, too many people get hurt on those videos, how can hurt be funny? Sopranos, Sex in the City- the list goes on, but yet I spend far more time in front of the tube then I should.

Friends, Frasier, ER, Will and Grace, Medium, CSI, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, Monk, Commander in Cheif, West Wing are among my favs. I know I am forgetting a few.

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

"I did then what I knew how to do. When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

smallestangel
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
You guys all crack me up. :)

Well, like a lot of pps, along with Medium I watch CSI (Las Vegas only. NY is boring, and as far as Miami, David Caruso reminds me of William Shatner acting wise.). Law & Order SVU, Cold Case, and Without a Trace. Like someone else said, I can't watch the episodes that deal with murdered/hurt children.

I also love A&E and the History Channel. American Justice, Investigative Reports, City Confidential, and History's Mysteries.

I watch MSNBC investigates too. I like the specials they do on prisons and their "Dark Heart, Iron Hand" episodes that are about different murder cases.

Amanda :)

Corie
01-11-2006, 04:13 PM
This show hasn't been on in quite awhile but I never
watched it. (not even one episode)

Beverly Hills 90210

jerseygirl07067
01-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Friends is entertaining if you have nothing better to do, but I think it portrays "our" age group to be stupid and airheaded. And the later ones really irk me.

And that Joey show is so stuuuupidddd!!!

That 70's Show. It annoys me to no end, espeically Fes or Fez, however it's spelled. DH loves it. Ugh.

Marcy

kboyle
01-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm not a Dr Phil fan. I just can't get into him. His topics are always interesting, but HE just annoys me. I'm also not into Survivor, or the spin offs like it, Amazing Race, Big Brother. I don't mind some reality shows (Extreme Home Makeover, Trading Spouses) but the game show ones really don't suck me in.

OTOH I do love Law and Order, we watch the reruns, I'm not a big Dennis Farina fan, rock on Jerry Orbach! and L&O SVU, not the criminal intent though, that guys is too dramatic. CSI never sucked me in either.

I'm trying to be a "My Name Is Earl" goer since everyone raves about it, but I just don't catch it in time, or I forget.

I love ER and Gray's Anatomy.

And yes, I do like Desperate Housewives :)

amp
01-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Arrested Development
CSI any
Crossing Jordan

kijip
01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
>This show hasn't been on in quite awhile but I never
>watched it. (not even one episode)
>
>
>Beverly Hills 90210