PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a really good blender, please give me recommendations

asha
01-11-2006, 02:15 AM
I am not a big fan of my current cheapo blender. I have a 20$ hamilton beach that I got from Target. I am about ready to give it up and move on.

We are getting new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, so something to match will be great, but not a must.

I use it to grind my spices and grind rice to make batter for (dosas - indian equivalent of pancakes) in addition to making milk shakes and smoothies for DS. So, I could use a powerful motor. Dont care about plastic/ glass jar. Definitely need multiple speeds.

So, please give me some names. What do you have and why do you like it?

As always, Thanks in advance ladies.

Saccade
01-11-2006, 03:00 AM
As I said in the kitchen eqiupment thread, I think that Vita-Mixes are usually overkill. That being said, I find it useful specifically for grinding spices, grains and rice (for horchata -- haven't made dosas). I have an old stainless one from 10+ years ago but I think the new ones have clear containers. It also makes great smoothies and shakes. I'm sure there is a less expensive option, but just in case you see a deal on a Vita-Mix, it can do what you need. They last forever, too.

ET finish post.

DS #1, 7/13/05
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

Join us in the BBB Knit and Crochet Club:
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

asha
01-11-2006, 03:07 AM
WOW! They are expensive. I had no idea blenders could be soo expensive. I guess they are worth the money.

Saccade
01-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Like I said, IMHO only if you find a deal on one (or if you live on a commune and grind all of your own flours and nut butters -- OK, I didn't quite live in a commune, but I had lots of cooking housemates in grad school and inherited the group's Vita-Mix.).

ETA: Just checked -- they are also significantly more expensive than when I was in grad school... I feel old :(

DS #1, 7/13/05
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleabk20050713_-8_My+child+is.png[/img][/url]

Join us in the BBB Knit and Crochet Club:
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

daniele_ut
01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
We have a Cuisinart Blender/Food PRocessor Combo that I got at BBB with a 20% off coupon last year. It was $79 before coupon and it has performed quite well. We mostly used it to make baby food over the last year, but DH will occasionally make shakes with it. I really wanted a glass jar and this fit the bill and was recommended by a friend. It came in white and silver, if I recall. It only has a few speeds, though, which I didn't consider too well!

Lmoor
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Whatever you get, make sure that it has an all metal drive! We once had a KitchenAid or Cuisinart (year 2000 model), I can't remember which, but it wasn't cheap. It had a plastic drive, and it totally broke! I'm talking about the gear part that hooks into the base to make it spin. So we ended up going with the only all-metal drive one I could find - it is an Oster (stainless) with glass container. It was about $100. I know there are all kinds of Osters, but this one specifically had a metal drive. It's quite noisy, but it's worked really well for us.

Anyway remember "all metal drive..."

renefjr
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
My vote goes to the Vita-Mix! Makes great shakes and smoothies!

bunnisa
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I LOVE my Waring Commercial blender - it has an integrated blade so the whole pitcher/blade is one piece - no dripping, no seals, and I wash the whole thing in the dishwasher.

It blends everything far better than my Cuisinart, amazingly.

eta: mmmm Dosas! I used to get Masala Dosas on a regular basis from the local South Indian restaurant when I lived in the North. Soo good!

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

cmdunn1972
01-11-2006, 12:35 PM
We have a 900 Watt Model 228 blender from L'Equip. It's pretty industrial looking, with a brushed metal base, which may not be your bag since it may not match the rest of your kitchen. It also has a polycarbonate pitcher. It's great on performance, however. The speed control varies between 500 and 20000 RPMs. (It's got a tachometer display on the front, and variable speed control is done by rotating the dial in front.) We got it after I got tired of killing my blenders (including a very nice Cuisinart) from making too many icy drinks. (I would burn out the motors with the ice crush function.) This blender may not be pretty, but it works great on high-power jobs. It also comes with a smoothie stick. Cost is around $120 to start.

I have a link:

asha
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks Bethany, I will check out the Waring ones.
If you are in my neighborhood, you are most welcome to come home and have some masala dosas. We make dosas pretty much every week. DS loves them.

wencit
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM
My mom has a Vita-Mix and absolutely LOVES hers. She says it runs circles around her regular Oster blender. According to her, the Vita-Mix can completely grind ingredients until they are super smooth, but the regular blender still leaves certain things slightly gritty.

I have seen Vita-Mix doing live demonstrations at various Costcos in my area. I am not sure if the prices are cheaper there because of the Costco connection, but it might be something to check out.

supercalifragilous
01-12-2006, 03:12 AM
I LOVE our VitaMix - it was the only way I'd eat carrots during my pregnancy - blending them with an apple, orange, and some juice and drinking it down. I'm not a big juicer fan b/c of the clean-up.

We bought ours @ Costco in Portland (no sales tax) for around $300 but I've also seen them around on eBay and they always have some special going on @ home shows and fairs. I've had mine for 3.5 years and it's still going strong, though I don't use it every day anymore. It has a variable speed dial, plus a switch so you can just go directly to highest speed.

Of all the blenders I've owned, nothing pulverizes ice like the VitaMix and since getting it, I have noticed that a lot of commercial places use the VitaMix as well - Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Orange Julius, etc. They just happen to have a different faceplate on them. For us it was definitely worth the investment. I went to the Cash & Carry, bought the frappucino mix, and now make my own fraps @ home before I go to work. Same thing - just a LOT cheaper. No more "Latte Factor."