PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Chicago this weekend -- where to take DS

Oct. 04 mom
01-11-2006, 07:43 PM
I'll be in downtown Chicago Saturday through Tuesday. Any recommendations of kid-friendly places to take a 15-month-old?

I checked out some of the museums online and it seems they're geared toward older toddlers/preschoolers.

Thanks!

Carey

knaidel
01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Is your DS walking? Also, where in Chicago will you be?
I've never been, but most people say that the Chicago Children's Museum is really for preschoolers on up. (But could be wrong!)
I've heard that these two places are good if your kid is walking:
Kohl's Children's Museum in Glenview
Exploratorium in Skokie (google the Skokie Park District)

Garfield Park Conservatory is interesting, and stroller friendly.

tiapam
01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Will you have a car? Will it be just you and DS?

Here is something for Saturday, although it may be too late for your DS:

http://www.themagnificentmile.com/EventsCommunityNews/LightNights/FireworksSpectacular.cfm

There will be lots of schools on holiday on Monday for MLK Day. it will probably be pretty busy downtown with locals and other tourists taking their kids on holiday.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

Momof3Labs
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo, any of the museums, though you may see some good sized crowds (holiday weekend). DS's favorite "loop" is lunch at Grand Lux Cafe, then trot down Michigan Avenue to the Lego Store, then a walk along the river (you have to go down stairs to do that, no ramp or elevator, but it's so quiet, even when downtown is crowded) and perhaps a swing past Navy Pier (which has a small Thomas the Tank Engine Store and a Build-a-Bear Workshop, also the Children's Museum but your DS is probably too young). There's also a Disney Store on Michigan Avenue north of Grand Lux Cafe that can be fun. Even a trip on a city bus or the El train may be fun for him, and is certainly kid friendly!