PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to jinx anything, but...

Judegirl
01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
It's been a week and my wonderful, darling, ridiculously energetic daughter - who once went 28 straight hours without a wink of sleep and without so much as a bout of fussiness - .................................................. .....................
.................................................. ................
is SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!

WOO BLOODY HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone it may help, here's what happened:

Last Wednesday I found myself quite suddenly convinced that she was old enough to go to sleep without her bottle. She was still getting one for naps and bedtime. So I told her we needed to have a talk, LOL. I explained that she's a big kid now and didn't need her bottle to sleep, etc etc...instead, I told her, what we were going to do from now on was drink her milk from a big-kid cup (which she uses during the day) while we read bedtime stories, but then once we brush her teeth, there would be no more milk. (I kept repeating the phrase "we're going to rock with no milk" since that's the big association for her.) I mentioned it several more times that evening.

So that's what we did. It was a little sad and pretty adorable...she had no idea how to sleep without a bottle in her mouth and she kept saying "No milk?" And I'd say "No, honey, no milk." And she'd say "Big kid now? No milk??"

But I got her to sleep without a bottle or a breast for the very first time in her little life except when she had a 103-degree fever. No tears, no multi-hour saga...just the two of us doing a lot of repeating "No milk - you can do it" to each other...LOL!

And once she figured out she could do that, she either stopped waking for milk or she put herself back to sleep. It's been a week. No bottles, no night-wakings...and she was at 3-5 wakings a night!

Please cross your fingers that this keeps up...we haven't been this well-rested in nearly three years.

AND...having been sleeping on the floor for the past 4 months and a futon for years before that, dh and I are buying a bed!!!!!!

Thanks for listening! As some of you know, it's been a long, long road...
:)
Happy happy Jude

kristenk
01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
HUGE congrats to you and Rory! That is wonderful! I'll keep my fingers crossed, but a week is a pretty good track record! It's also good to know that it CAN in fact happen, if there's a blip down the road - not that that's going to happen. :)

Yea, Rory! Yea, Jude!

mudder17
01-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow!

I mean, Wow! Congratulations Jude! Congratulations Rory! That is so awesome! A week sounds great to me!

Out of curiosity, what time is she going to bed and what time is she waking up now? And when does she nap? I'm just trying to figure out if Kaya is trying to give up her nap or if she just needs a later bedtime (or no nap and an earlier bedtime).

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

mommy_someday
01-11-2006, 10:30 PM
That's wonderful news, Jude!!!!! Way to go, Riordan!!!!! I'm doing a happy dance just for you. :)

I hope you all keep on getting great sleep and, Jude, enjoy your new bed! You have more than earned it!!!

laretce6
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Jude, I don't stop in here a lot these days, but I'm glad I saw this post. It's awesome that Rory is sleeping so well! My DH is away for 5 days and having not gotten Ellie to sleep by myself (she weaned in August and since then it's been baaaaaaad) since September tonight was um interesting, LOL.

You give me hope! :-)

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

Vajrastorm
01-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Completely, totally, undeniably AWESOME!!! :)

mamamayi
01-11-2006, 11:34 PM
How wonderful!!!! What a great success story!

May

spunkybaby
01-12-2006, 01:03 AM
That's wonderful! I hope she keeps it up and hope that you and your DH enjoy your rest!

Not-so-new mom to a spunky baby
March 2004

ca mom to 2
01-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Hooray!!! Congratulations and sweet dreams! Here's hoping it lasts FOREVER!

From another sleep deprived mommy

Cathy

Carly 5 years
Nick 18 months

octmom
01-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Glad to "see" you Caroline! :) I was just thinking about you a few days ago and wondering how you are. I completely understand the weaning/ getting to sleep thing. That was tough for us too and I had it very hard for a couple of nights in September when DH was out of town.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March: IT'S A GIRL!!! :)

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

annasmom
01-12-2006, 06:49 AM
AHHH SLEEP!!! Why do children not appreciate it??? I hope you remain well rested!

karolyp
01-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Congradulations!!!! That is such wonderful news and you give us hope that more well-rested future is still possible!!!

Sweet dreams Rory and Jude!!!

deborah_r
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm so happy to read this Jude!!! Good for you! (and Rory, of course!)

ribbit1019
01-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Fabulous news! I am glad you are getting some rest Jude!

Go Rory!! A big kid indeed!

Christy
Maddy born 6/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png

Little Man due 3/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png
Co-Owner Ribbit Baby

"I did then what I knew how to do. When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

crayonblue
01-12-2006, 11:08 AM
GREAT news! Enjoy the new bed!

pittsburghgirl
01-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Yay, Rory! Bigger Yay, Jude!

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

kozachka
01-12-2006, 02:34 PM
This is great news! Congratulations! And enjoy your new bed, you've earned it.

In my experience, moving the bedtime a little bit earlier and having a quiet activity, such as reading a book in the crib, just before bedtime helped DS (and me) sleep better.

wendmatt
01-12-2006, 09:33 PM
WOW, that is huge. I know how it is to get no sleep and I've seen how tough you've had it, so that is wonderful news.

Judegirl
01-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks for popping in on this Deb! I will never forget trying to swing her to sleep in that blanket, thinking, "come ON kiddo it worked for Deb!!" You offered support and advice at every turn...and there were a lot of turns. Thank you. :)

Jude

Judegirl
01-13-2006, 12:46 AM
She does much, much better going to bed later at night. (We would have figured that out a lot sooner if I hadn't read so many d@mn books. Bed earlier, rise later my @SS!)

She sleeps about 10ish-8ish or 9ish-7ish now. Any earlier and she starts her day pre-5am. She's determined to sleep 10 or 11 hours at night and that's all there is to it.

At least now I believe the poor kid...

:)
Jude