PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of an ear infection causing vomiting?

jenjenfirenjen
01-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Luke has been vomiting since Saturday morning. Other than Saturday, though, it has only been overnight or first thing in the morning upon waking. I called the ped on Sunday and she thought it sounded like a stomach flu that has been going around. When he woke up vomiting Monday morning, she had me bring him in and found an ear infection. She said the ear infection could be causing the vomiting and prescribed antiobiotics. Mind you, he has NO other symptoms of an ear infection...no fever, no fussiness, nothing. But I guess she can see it and she used the tympanogram (sp?) Anyway, so Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, he's fine...no vomiting. Then this morning (Thursday) he wakes up vomiting.

We're going back in to the ped this afternoon. I just don't know if this is just an ear infection...mommie's intuition says it's something else. He had 3 vaccinations last Friday and I still think that may have something to do with all this but ped doesn't think so. Am I crazy? I just want my babe to feel better. Thanks for listening.

juliasmom05
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I am so sorry that Luke isn't feeling well. Hopefully you will get some answers from the ped this afternoon, but vomiting can be caused by an ear infection. I hope he feels better soon.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

cara1
01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Both of my kids have had GI symptoms with ear infections. Also might want to ask for a throat culture to rule out strep throat. Strep can sometimes present with GI symptoms as well.

daisymommy
01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, I have never thought about it, but maybe the ear infection causes their equilibrium (sense of balance) to be off, making him dizzy, and maybe have vertigo, so therefor he is throwing up?

AngelaS
01-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Ear infections make me VERY dizzy and nauseous, so they could to that to your toddler too. Poor little guy!

Rachels
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Having been struggling with a double ear infection myself over the last few weeks, I can tell you it can definitely cause vomiting. Blecch. I've had very little ear pain.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya