PDA

View Full Version : ways to make life easier??

cchavez
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
What are some things that make life less hectic for you?

The following help me but I am looking for more ideas now that I have baby #2.

1. My husband's dry cleaning is picked up and dropped off each week.
2. I am going to start ordering stamps online instead of going to the post office or postal center.
3. I have a housecleaner come every 2 weeks.
4. I wish I could find a groc. delivery service that I like in my area...Albertson's does deliver but I don't like their prices and the last time I tried their website was so slow
5. I think I will just start doing more online shopping in general..maybe start ordering diapers on amazon??

Anything else? The less errands I have to run the happier I will be. TIA!

jerseygirl07067
01-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Congratulations on your little one!

We can't really afford many of the extras like a cleaning person, so if you can do that, it's a great thing to have. I have an elderly patient who has all her laundry sent out too. It's pricey, but if you can afford it that's great.

What helps is that at bedtime, DH gets Sammy ready and does her bedtime routine, I do Julia's.

We use the drive through at the library and order books from the library online.

Holiday shopping, mostly done on online, as are any showers I'm invited to. Too much hassle to go to a store and wait in line with a baby and a toddler.

I barely vacuum, but the dustbuster is my best friend. :)

Also, I try to do all of my errands in the same area. We have a huge outdoor shopping mall right near me, so that's easy.

Online bill pay. Pay all your bills in 5 minutes. No need for stamps.

Some grocery stores sell stamps. Some even have dry cleaning drop off.

Supertarget is good to buy everything, baby items, food, household stuff, etc. One stop shopping.

Throw away all junk mail the minute you get it. Have a good organizing system so everything has a place to be filed. That way things never pile up.

I'm sure there are many great hints out there. I'm interested to hear them too.

And my favorite...take the phone off the hook when you need rest, and don't be afraid to limit your conversations. A rested mom is a happy mom! And a happy mom is a good mom. :)

Most of all, get rest and enjoy your new little baby!

Marcy

Momof3Labs
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Congratulations, Christine!! Do you have pics or a birth story to share?

Try to plan ahead in your shopping - like buy a few months' worth of birthday cards in one trip to Hallmark, rather than having to run there last minute for a single card. Or combine birthday/holiday shopping (and do a lot of it online, combined to save on shipping) so that you aren't caught last minute without a gift. Kids' gifts are especially easy to stock up on. Stick to stores with good return policies so that you aren't dashing back within 10 days to return an item (Lands End, LL Bean and Hanna all have unlimited return policies).

I don't shop grocery sales any more as it involves too many stops at too many places. I just head to one store (for now, Super Target) that has decent prices and get all my shopping done there.

In addition to ordering stamps online, you can also set up an account with usps.com and print (and pay for) shipping labels there so you don't have to go to the PO to ship a package. They'll even pick up your packages at home if you are shipping at least one package via priority mail.

That's all that I can think of at the moment. Congratulations!

crl
01-12-2006, 08:54 PM
--Crockpot for dinner, left overs for lunch
--canned fruit on hand so I'm not running to the store JUST for fruit
--definitely online shopping, especially for clothes, books and presents (I've been pleased w/ Amazon for diapers, but delivery is rather slow sometimes so I make sure to stockpile

wendmatt
01-12-2006, 09:26 PM
No really good advice, just wanted to say sorry if I missed your announcement.I forget to look on the announcement board. Huge congratulations to you, Mia Claire is alovely name. Hope you are all doing well, seems that 9 mths went really quickly!

chiqanita
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I Like your suggestions especially the dustbuster. I need one! I've been using a small broom and dustpan (thanks DH) for some time. Before that the Swiffer. I'm ready to get a dustbuster but don't know the first thing about them.

Can you help?

chiqanita
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Congrats on your little Mia!

ITA w/ PP!

SuperTarget for everything except gallons of organic whole milk (Sprouts or Tom Thumb) and size 5 Pampers (Tom Thumb)

Costco for bulk items like canned fruits, veggies, Cheerios, Fish crackers, garbage bags, and Oatmeal. Oh, and their rotisserie chicken. YUM! Sometimes I get one on Sundays then take it apart and freeze in several baggies for quickie lunches: chicken quesadillas, chicken & rice, chicken, mac n cheese or just plain with some veggies.

Can't think of anything else right now.

chiqanita
01-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Congrats on your little Mia!

ITA w/ PP!

SuperTarget for everything except gallons of organic whole milk (Sprouts or Tom Thumb) and size 5 Pampers (Tom Thumb)

Costco for bulk items like canned fruits, veggies, Cheerios, Fish crackers, garbage bags, and Oatmeal. Oh, and their rotisserie chicken. YUM! Sometimes I get one on Sundays then take it apart and freeze in several baggies for quickie lunches: chicken quesadillas, chicken & rice, chicken, mac n cheese or just plain with some veggies.

Can't think of anything else right now.

papal
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey! I missed the birth announcement!!!
Congrats Christine!! Welcome little Mia!!!
We want to see pics!

Judegirl
01-13-2006, 12:49 AM
Here's my favorite. Forget sock sorting and folding. Get rid of all of your socks. Now buy (online, of course) several packages of the same exact socks for you and your dh, and throw them all in a big drawer when the laundry's done. Grab and two at any time and you're matched.

Of course, that's only if you care if they're matched...I never did get around to getting rid of the old ones, LOL.

Jude