PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Muzzy to teach Spanish?

scout123
01-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I was thinking of ordering the Muzzy program and was wondering if anyone has tried and what they thought about it.
Thanks,
Angie

LBW
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I've asked this question here before...I think it comes up every few months. The general consensus seems to be to try to find it at your library and try it out before buying. You might want to do a search on older posts. I think I remember some people thinking it wasn't worth the cost.

I tried to get it from interlibrary loan, but was never successful. Then again, I didn't try very hard!

boys2enough
01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
http://www.muzzyonline.com/

I googled and found this link.

We also just received a mailed flyer from them, offering the same 30 day free trial. There is no ending date for the offer on the flyer, so I am assuming that even if you miss this online offer, you should be able to find it again somewhere else.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

lizamann
01-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I was very amused and surprised once to open a Muzzy flyer to find one of my teaching colleagues from my very school singing it's praises. She apparently used it in her classroom, and the same flyer also profiled a graduate I recognized from the same school. They didn't mention last names or the name of the school, but I was really surprised to see people I knew! So, based on my respect for my colleague, I would say that her endorsement means something. I have no idea, though, whether she got any money or not for the endorsement.

However, I also have to add that I simply can't stand the Muzzy marketing tactic. "Your child is brilliant! Make sure others see it! Help them get into Harvard! This will make your child successful! If you wait it will be too late!" etc etc. Drives me nuts! If someone tried to parody the competitive, push push culture of middle and upper middle class American parents, they couldn't do it any better than Muzzy does.

Not to say that I disagree with the product in general. In fact I was considering getting the Mandarin version for dd so she could talk to her grandparents (who also speak English.) But I don't know why they have to play into the frenzy instead of just marketing it for what it is, you know?